How Do You Feel About Illegal Aliens Getting A Drivers Licsn

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

How Do You Feel About Illegal Aliens Getting A Drivers Licsn

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:11 pm

This question goes for ALL..... across the board. Not just illegal latinos from south, central America, and Mexico. Everybody.

Should they get drivers license? Most of them are driving anyway.

babylimpy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: How Do You Feel About Illegal Aliens Getting A Drivers L

Unread post by babylimpy » September 22nd, 2004, 1:15 pm

GOOD POST...I FEEL THAT IF ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO BE A U.S.A CITIZEN(SPELLED?) YOU SHOULD HAVE A RIGHT TO.BUT IF YOU ARE A ILLEGAL ALIEN YOU SHOULD LEAVE,JUST MY HONEST THOUGHT.NO DISS INTENDED

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » September 22nd, 2004, 1:19 pm

NO WAY. if you get pulled over and are an illegal, that means that you have broken a law. You entered the country illegally. They should impound your car and send you back where you belong. It is ridiculous that someone who doesn't belong here or pay taxes to kep our roads and freeways safe should be able to use them.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:19 pm

babylimpy wrote:GOOD POST...I FEEL THAT IF ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO BE A U.S.A CITIZEN(SPELLED?) YOU SHOULD HAVE A RIGHT TO.BUT IF YOU ARE A ILLEGAL ALIEN YOU SHOULD LEAVE,JUST MY HONEST THOUGHT.NO DISS INTENDED
Well it's not all that easy to become a US citizen. Many will have tempory or permenent residence status before citizenship. Either or would make them legally eligible for a state's drivers license.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » September 22nd, 2004, 1:21 pm

its hard to say. some should and some shouldnt. i first thought maybe they shouldnt.. but now i think should be able to. one reason is because they drive anways and i know some people that have gotten hit by them in the car and they just take off because they have no lisence. also i feel bad for one of my friends because hes illegal but hes been living here since he was like 2 or 3..he just graduated high school but cant get a lisence or get into a college all because hes illegal.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » September 22nd, 2004, 1:22 pm

Common Sense wrote:
babylimpy wrote:GOOD POST...I FEEL THAT IF ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO BE A U.S.A CITIZEN(SPELLED?) YOU SHOULD HAVE A RIGHT TO.BUT IF YOU ARE A ILLEGAL ALIEN YOU SHOULD LEAVE,JUST MY HONEST THOUGHT.NO DISS INTENDED
Well it's not all that easy to become a US citizen. Many will have tempory or permenent residence status before citizenship. Either or would make them legally eligible for a state's drivers license.
If you have temporary or permanant residency, green card, student or work visa, you are not an illegal alien, so that doesn;t really apply to the thread. These people deserve a license because they are going through proper procedures.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:22 pm

Panik wrote: It is ridiculous that someone who doesn't belong here or pay taxes to kep our roads and freeways safe should be able to use them.
Many are paying taxes to keep our roads safe. Everytime they pay a city toll or other city/state services they are contributing to various funds.

I do agree with you that they are breaking the law driving unlicensed and/or uninsured.

babylimpy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by babylimpy » September 22nd, 2004, 1:24 pm

DAMM I NEVER LOOKED AT IT THIS WAY,THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by RuthlessCray » September 22nd, 2004, 1:25 pm

so if someone has lived here for most their life and went to school here and everything but they are illegal can they still get their lisense? i have a friend that says he cant but i dont know. he cant get into college either
Last edited by RuthlessCray on September 22nd, 2004, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:26 pm

RuthlessBone wrote:so if someone has lived here for most their life and went to school here and everything but they are illegal can they still get their lisence? i have a friend that says he cant but i dont know. he cant get into college either
He needs to seek a good immigration attorney to see what are his options.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:28 pm

babylimpy wrote:DAMM I NEVER LOOKED AT IT THIS WAY,THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME.
No problem Mike, that's why these threads exist, for learning and exposure to information. Even if we disagree at times LOL.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » September 22nd, 2004, 1:28 pm

they are not paying their full share of taxes. they are not paying income taxes usually, state or federal. These are the two biggest. Then much of their earnings are not spent here, so they avoid sales taxes too. Not fair. They should not get the same benefits that I do. And they were breaking the law the instant they stepped foot in the country. Hence the phrase "illegal alien". They are law breakers by nature. Try sneaking into mexico and living there without permission, driving around and shi-. If you get pulled over, you'll be in for some serious problems.

babylimpy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by babylimpy » September 22nd, 2004, 1:34 pm

Common Sense wrote:
babylimpy wrote:DAMM I NEVER LOOKED AT IT THIS WAY,THANKS FOR CORRECTING ME.
No problem Mike, that's why these threads exist, for learning and exposure to information. Even if we disagree at times LOL.
BACK WHEN I WAS UNDER THE NAME MIKE89 I WAS A AZZHOLE,NOW I AM JUST GONNA KEEP IT REAL.THAT IS WHAT IS WANTED HERE RIGHT??

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:36 pm

Panik wrote:they are not paying their full share of taxes.
You are right about that. My point was only to state that illegals do contribute. Maybe not as much as the citizen because of their limitations. Illegals also contribute to the economy of the state through goods and services like everyone else.

I don't think illegals should get a drivers because once you give them a license then that opens up another arena of services. I'm looking at it from a terrorist point of view. I would hate to see a terrorist sneek over, live awhile, get a license, rent a uhaul and start blowing crap up.

The average hard working illegal alien really need to work through the system and do it the right way. The first step is buying a book on how to get citizenship.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by RuthlessCray » September 22nd, 2004, 1:38 pm

i understand that it aint fair for an illegal who pays no taxes to just come over here and get a license. but im just thinking about someone like my friend who was brough over here before he was even able to walk. it aint his fault hes illegal.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:43 pm

RuthlessBone wrote:i understand that it aint fair for an illegal who pays no taxes to just come over here and get a license. but im just thinking about someone like my friend who was brough over here before he was even able to walk. it aint his fault hes illegal.
No it isn't, and he's probably more American than where his roots are from. It sounds like to me, he needs to start doing some research on how to change his status. He may need to prove loyalty to the US and that he is an outstanding citizen.

I hope is not involved in criminal activity or have a criminal record, if so he just asking to be deported with no chance of ever getting legal status here.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 22nd, 2004, 1:45 pm

This is what the state of Tennessee have to say about issuing a drivers license.

http://www.tnrip.org/DriversLicenses.htm

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by RuthlessCray » September 22nd, 2004, 1:46 pm

Common Sense wrote:
RuthlessBone wrote:i understand that it aint fair for an illegal who pays no taxes to just come over here and get a license. but im just thinking about someone like my friend who was brough over here before he was even able to walk. it aint his fault hes illegal.
No it isn't, and he's probably more American than where his roots are from. It sounds like to me, he needs to start doing some research on how to change his status. He may need to prove loyalty to the US and that he is an outstanding citizen.

I hope is not involved in criminal activity or have a criminal record, if so he just asking to be deported with no chance of ever getting legal status here.
nah hes a good kid. never been in trouble and just barely graduated high school. i know his parents always made sure he got good grades.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by willihen » September 22nd, 2004, 1:50 pm

This is a hard topic. I feel for illegal aliens. Especially coming over from Mexico and central america. Most are good people, hardworking with good family and christian values.
We want these people with those values in the U.S.

But...
Issueing Federal documents to illegals is tricky.
Distributing of U.S. licenses to non U.S. residents would be just the beginning. This opens up a whole can of worms. If you issue U.S. licenses to foreigners then whats next? People could use that law as a statute to refer to in order to issue other documents to foreigners. (giving foreigners privileges that only U.S. citizens should have)
It also creates more bureaucracy. Who's gonna regulate this? There will be a whole other dept. opened to deal with this. Increasing taxes for U.S. citizens. These later laws might have an affect on U.S. citizens' safety, making it easier for terrorists to enter U.S.

My point is that if a U.S. document is issued to foreigners then this creates a statute. This statute can be built upon. And so on. and so on.

So the issue is not really drivers licenses but what happens after this law would pass. Floodgate would open.

I wish there was some way to issue temporary passes or permits to illegals. How do we do this? I really don't know.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » September 22nd, 2004, 1:51 pm

RuthlessBone wrote:
Common Sense wrote:

nah hes a good kid. never been in trouble and just barely graduated high school. i know his parents always made sure he got good grades.
then all he has to do is apply for citizenship. As long as he doesn;t already have a criminal record, then he should be OK.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » September 22nd, 2004, 1:56 pm

my point is this. I come from an immigrant family too. My grandfather and grandmother came through ellis island and didn;t speak a word of english. The difference is they came in legally. Once they got here, they worked and paid taxes. They made sure their children learned english and went to school, they never broke a law while under temporary status, then they were made full fledged citizens. The first step is COMING HERE LEGALLY. If you are a mexican, or from nywhere else, and you do not have a criminal record, and you have some type of work history, you can apply for legal entry and residence. We have laws that allow hundreds of thousands of people a year to do this. The problem is that a lot of these people have criminal records in their home countries, or have no job history. If you were a criminal, we don;t want you, we have enough of our own. If you just spent your life sitting on your ass at home, we don;t need anymore of those either. If you just do this and come here legally, I have no problem. But if your first act is to break the law to get here, then what does the future hold? More law breaking and cutting corners, and we DO NOT NEED THIS.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by RuthlessCray » September 22nd, 2004, 1:57 pm

Panik wrote:
RuthlessBone wrote:
Common Sense wrote:

then all he has to do is apply for citizenship. As long as he doesn;t already have a criminal record, then he should be OK.
oh i see..i really didnt know too much about this..i just remember last week i talked to my friend he was having alot problems with getting a license and getting into a college...

so i guess he could do this then...

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » September 22nd, 2004, 2:02 pm

yeah, my homie did it. He was born in brazil but moved here when he was a bady. His parents actually applied for him when he was a kid, so he has been a citizen for most of his life. There is a waiting period, but during the waiting period, they issue you a temporary type permit.

J-DUB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-DUB » September 22nd, 2004, 2:52 pm

IF THEY ILLEGAL, THE SHOULDNT B ABLE 2 TO DRIVE LEGALLY. IT JUST DONT MAKE NO SENSE.

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » September 22nd, 2004, 3:22 pm

J-DUB wrote:IF THEY ILLEGAL, THE SHOULDNT B ABLE 2 TO DRIVE LEGALLY. IT JUST DONT MAKE NO SENSE.
amen

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » September 23rd, 2004, 9:00 am

Lol.. I have a couple friends that are first and second generation Germans and I will honestly tell you that I have never ever met a German person who was NOT immediately ready to vote to close the borders as tight as a drum as soon as possible in this country. They are hard wired for that.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 23rd, 2004, 10:17 am

My offer still stands if you want it RB. Check your PM box.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » September 23rd, 2004, 11:16 am

^^ I have a friend like that too but he recently paid the fees and submitted his paperwork. It's hard for them to come up with the $300.00 and know which forms to file. Plus the system seems to be geared toward the older Latinos that have been here a long time already.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by RuthlessCray » September 23rd, 2004, 1:20 pm

Common Sense wrote:
My offer still stands if you want it RB. Check your PM box.
yeah i got the PM. i would appreciate it if you could do that. i would have responded in PM but im not allowed to send people PM's on here.i can only read what people send me. thanks

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 25th, 2004, 3:36 pm

Hispanics Threaten Boycott Over License Veto

Pro-Immigrant Groups Are Organizing Protests, Boycott

Sep 24, 2004 5:16 pm US/Pacific
SAN DIEGO (AP)

Angered by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's veto this week of a bill to allow illegal immigrants to drive legally in California, Hispanic leaders and pro-immigrant groups are organizing protests and a national boycott of the state in their campaign to win the licenses.

Supporters of the bill, which was approved by the Democratic-controlled Legislature, said the Republican governor will pay a political price for reneging on promises to reach a compromise. They charge that Schwarzenegger belatedly added a demand that such licenses be specifically marked to differentiate them from licenses held by U.S. citizens and legal residents, a suggestion many said would encourage discrimination and persecution.

"If this is the posture the governor wants to take, then our community is going to be forced to kick it up a notch," said Nativo Lopez, president of the Mexican American Political Association and Hermandad Mexicana, based in Southern California.

Lopez, who led a one-day state boycott in December over the same issue, said he will organize a national boycott to drive convention business away from such popular destinations as San Diego, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Francisco.

His organizations, which represent 140,000 people, have begun talking to other groups to plan their strategy. Already, dozens of picketers, including Catholic priests, marched outside Schwarzenegger's Los Angeles office on Friday; a much larger protest march is planned for Los Angeles on Oct. 16.

Mike Wilzoch, San Diego director of the Service Employees International Union, which has 30,000 workers statewide, said his organization likely would begin protests after the November election. However, union leaders said they doubt a boycott would cause Schwarzenegger to change his mind.

Opponents of the drivers' license bill, Wilzoch said, need to realize that without the labor of undocumented workers, "the economy of this state would fold."

"The notion that they're good enough to pick our crops, clean our buildings, take care of our kids, do a thousand absolutely essential jobs for us, but they can't drive -- how does that serve anyone's interest?"

Supporters of the bill argue that allowing illegal immigrants to have licenses would improve public safety by requiring them to know the rules of the road and obtain insurance. Opponents cite security concerns, and say granting licenses would encourage illegal immigration.

About one-quarter of the 26 million to 30 million drivers on state roadways each day lack insurance, according to the Personal Insurance Federation of California, which backed the bill sponsored by Sen. Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles. An estimated 2.4 million people living in California are illegal immigrants.

The dispute threatens to grow into the same sort of controversy that divided the state in 1994, when voters approved Proposition 187, which denied social services such as education and health benefits to illegal immigrants -- a move eventually overturned in courts. It was the same year the state began requiring proof of legal residency for driver's license applicants

A 1994 state boycott led by Hispanic groups resulted in the National Association of Hispanic Journalists canceling plans to meet in San Diego. The Mexico City-based World Boxing Council also withdrew from title fights in the state.

The National Council of La Raza said Friday it would consider canceling its planned 2008 convention in San Diego if a boycott proceeds, said Lisa Navarrete, vice president of the Washington-based umbrella group of 300 organizations. The convention would draw 25,000 to 30,000 people, she said.

While the council wouldn't take action without the support of its California affiliates, she said, "if they raise that issue with us, we obviously would take it very, very seriously."

Cedillo, who plans to introduce a new version of the bill in December, said those opposed to Schwarzenegger's veto should take action.

Others questioned whether a boycott was appropriate, noting that conventions buoy employment of workers in hotels, restaurants and other services.

"Ultimately, a boycott hurts everybody," said Sal Giametta, spokesman for the San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau. He recalled that Arizona's lack of a formal Martin Luther King holiday cost it the 1993 Super Bowl, which ended up in Pasadena.

"Certainly it behooves us to find a way to get beyond these issues," he said.

cbi562
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cbi562 » September 26th, 2004, 12:55 am

X
Last edited by cbi562 on October 4th, 2004, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » September 26th, 2004, 10:43 am

^^^A legit ID is like a mini passport. I think it's a little of both. Terrorism and Fraud.