Catholicism

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Ace

Catholicism

Unread post by Ace » December 12th, 2004, 10:33 pm

Whats up. I'm a young Catholic who likes to talk about religion. I know I don't know nearly as much as a should about religion in general, but I know what I believe and why I believe it. I also know Catholics catch a bad rap from alot of people who don't understand the Catholic religion and who don't really know what they are talking about. I was browsing this website when I saw a post from someone who claimed Catholics were not Christians, and nothing could be further from the truth. Catholics not only are Christians, Catholics were basically the first Christians. From a historical aspect, pretty much all Christians were Catholic until the 1500s when the Protestant Reformation started, and Catholicism is still the most practiced sect of any religion in the world. If any of you guys got questions on what Catholics believe, and why, or if any of have criticisms about Catholicism just let me know and I will get back to you with some answers. I am more than willing to inform people who have questions, and more than willing to debate with people who have criticisms. If I can't answer you of the top of my head I can always point you guys in the direction of someone who can. I just wanted to straighten out some things with you guys and I will probally post some basic misunderstandings about Catholicism over the coming weeks if nobody jumps on this with questions, and whatknot.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Re: Catholicism

Unread post by Lonewolf » December 12th, 2004, 11:08 pm

Ace wrote:"Catholics were basically the first Christians. From a historical aspect, pretty much all Christians were Catholic until the 1500s when the Protestant Reformation started".
What do you know about, the Jerusalem Church, Nestorians, Nazarenes, Chaldeans, Coptics, Manicheans, Marcionites, Orthodox/Eastern Church, Christian Gnostics?

What about Tertullian, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Polycarp, Clement of Rome, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Hippolytus?

Chris.
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Chris. » December 12th, 2004, 11:32 pm

Ace wrote:Whats up. I'm a young Catholic who likes to talk about religion. I know I don't know nearly as much as a should about religion in general, but I know what I believe and why I believe it. I also know Catholics catch a bad rap from alot of people who don't understand the Catholic religion and who don't really know what they are talking about. I was browsing this website when I saw a post from someone who claimed Catholics were not Christians, and nothing could be further from the truth. Catholics not only are Christians, Catholics were basically the first Christians. From a historical aspect, pretty much all Christians were Catholic until the 1500s when the Protestant Reformation started, and Catholicism is still the most practiced sect of any religion in the world. If any of you guys got questions on what Catholics believe, and why, or if any of have criticisms about Catholicism just let me know and I will get back to you with some answers. I am more than willing to inform people who have questions, and more than willing to debate with people who have criticisms. If I can't answer you of the top of my head I can always point you guys in the direction of someone who can. I just wanted to straighten out some things with you guys and I will probally post some basic misunderstandings about Catholicism over the coming weeks if nobody jumps on this with questions, and whatknot.
I know yall are weird, and yall see Mary on walls and shit and yall start bowin down to em...yall got issues...yall got some freaky shit goin on in the bacground and niggas aint even picced up on it yet..I went to one of those school when I was younger before I got kicced out, and i can elaborate on the weird shit yall be up to

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » December 13th, 2004, 12:13 pm

What do you think lonewolf? Should I weigh in here with the truth or just let it go?

Should I skip this thread and let everyone keep making false assertions like the author of this thread did, just as one example, when he said "Catholics were basically the first Christians?"

I'm not wanting to get everyone pissed off at me as most hispanics here are Catholic, and I have real love for my hispanic brothers in the Lord, but if people really want to know authentic history and the origins of the Catholic church I could share it.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » December 13th, 2004, 5:42 pm

Kemosave wrote:What do you think lonewolf? Should I weigh in here with the truth or just let it go?

Should I skip this thread and let everyone keep making false assertions like the author of this thread did, just as one example, when he said "Catholics were basically the first Christians?"

I'm not wanting to get everyone pissed off at me as most hispanics here are Catholic, and I have real love for my hispanic brothers in the Lord, but if people really want to know authentic history and the origins of the Catholic church I could share it.
Now now kIMO behave, take a deep breath and go easy with the story so that we can "all" keep up.
My whole familia es CATOLICA 'except my household', but I grew up a catholic and I have much respect for the FAITHFUL BELIEVERS.

Lets stay with ACE on the topic and give him the courtesy.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » December 20th, 2004, 11:49 am

Okay, number one. Catholics were NOT the first christians.

Ace, I appreciate and respect your appreciation of being catholic.
Im a Catholic myself, but bro, study your facts before you speak them.

And as far as the comments Chris was making, if your not a catholic, there's no f*ckin need for you to be posting sh*t in here. Keep it up and I'll tell you what they say about your religion.
There's no need for that sh*t.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » December 21st, 2004, 12:15 am

I'm still waiting on kIMO to break it down, since this is his expertise.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » December 31st, 2004, 2:04 pm

canaidians who were raped and broken out their teeth were on tv several times.they were inprisoned by catholic brothers and or sisters for very long.many got never excused or any money for the suffering.
and I heard of a film made by a true story from ireland.a family brought her daughter to the sisters.she was mistreated.poeple that gave away relatives claimed they didn* t knew or couldn`t get them out of there .story ends with father goin..........
see yourself

BfKCmOney
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BfKCmOney » January 1st, 2005, 2:39 pm

Its the most popular religion in the United States

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » January 1st, 2005, 4:54 pm

^^ yea it probably is.

With the growing amounts of hispanics, and of course the all the Irish.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 6th, 2005, 8:29 am

yesterday news say poeple whom suffered from disbehaviour of priests are going to get a compensation .one of the highest .
isn`t that missled priest thing too disturbing to be a catholic ,
Does it not touch you at all?

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » January 6th, 2005, 11:24 am

There are probably gay rabbi's out there. Should Jews convert because of it? Just because a couple of Catholic preists were disturbed, doesnt mean all of them are. I went to Catholic school as a kid, never had a problem.
The preists Ive met in my life have been great people in the community and in my life. Am I uneasy to be a catholic? Thats a pretty stupid question, brother. That scandal has nothing to do with Catholics, it has to do with the men who commited those crimes, and when they die, they will be judged.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 18th, 2005, 6:27 am

IT is not about what an adult does with another one,but the double morality.So the bill for the pedophile cases are paid by the tax payers.And why that?

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » January 27th, 2005, 9:09 pm

Why should we confess our sins to a Priest?

ChAoS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ChAoS » January 27th, 2005, 9:19 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote:Why should we confess our sins to a Priest?
2nd that. I don't think telling another man my sins will make it any better than praying to God himself. I'm not Catholic, but I respect the different views they have. To krookkid, I guess I don't deserve to post here since I'm not Catholic either right?

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » January 27th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Would you rather get something off your chest with a lawyer, teacher, psyciatrist or a preist.

Lawyers are peices of sh*t.

Teachers will tell your parents if it is something serious. They have to.

same with shrinks. Only with shrinks, everything is confidential, unless you tell him your planning suicide or murder. Then, by law, he has to report it.

A preist, however, will not tell ANYONE, ANYTHING. It is a religious law. which is far more powerful than the law of man or government.

Plus it was a sacrament given to us by Jesus when he died. Priests can be a place of comfort like he was. Read the bible.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » January 27th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Well I feel funny knowing that the Priest I confessed my sins to, at my first communion is a child molester. Why can't I just confess my sins to GOD?
Last edited by MMRbkaRudog on January 27th, 2005, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » January 27th, 2005, 9:29 pm

ChAoS wrote:
MMRbkaRudog wrote: To krookkid, I guess I don't deserve to post here since I'm not Catholic either right?
hey f*ck you. I said that to that dick who was dissin catholics.

You came in here with a decent attitude, and a non offensive opinion.

Learn to read up the page to learn why I said something before you make your f*ckin comments.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » January 27th, 2005, 9:30 pm

because it was a sacrament from jesus.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » January 27th, 2005, 9:32 pm

basicly, we can come to priests for comfort the same way we could hve with jesus. They are holy men. They care.

TmaaN

Unread post by TmaaN » January 27th, 2005, 9:38 pm

krookid wrote:basicly, we can come to priests for comfort the same way we could hve with jesus. They are holy men. They care.
Says who?

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » January 27th, 2005, 9:41 pm

laymans terms, brother. I was explaining the sacrament Jesus gave us when he died. The reason we confess to priests

Guns

Unread post by Guns » February 2nd, 2005, 1:40 pm

i'm catholic azwell .......

most of the souther part of the netherlands is catholic ...plus most belgium

TmaaN

Unread post by TmaaN » February 2nd, 2005, 11:43 pm

Show me in the bible where we are supposed to confess to 'priests'?

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » February 7th, 2005, 1:59 pm

there is only the dialogue from Gsus to Paul:Iwill build my temple on your shoulders or something like that.
Don`t know so tell me, too.

TarHeelRED
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: North Carolina
What city do you live in now?: New Jerusalem

Unread post by TarHeelRED » July 29th, 2005, 8:50 pm

I have a question about Catholocism. Y do folk label it as a religion? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong and elucidate with facts, but ain't "Catholic" a mere denomination or sect of Christianity? We as Christians(those who really are authentic and not just those who profess that they are) must remember that regardless of what "denomination 1 is, the earnest thing is that we should be able 2 put aside the denomination titles or labels and we should be able 2 bind and magnify GOD as 1. Because when God said,"Let every voice uplift my name" I don't think he was saying all Baptists or Catholics in harmony and accord with only that prominent denomination, and seclude other sects. We must not debase and ostracize 1 another because of a mere denomination. I'm not a member of a denominal church but just because another person is I don't and shouldn't debase that person. Whether folk want 2 perceive it or not, some of these denominations are in contention with other denominations. And alot of times that contention yields prejudice.

The most grave thing we should proclaim is(if 1 partakes in a denomination)I'm a Christian that goes 2 a _(blank;whatever your denomination is)church. Let's not conceive dissension within our own nation. It's too many devils out here we have 2 bout with 4 us 2 have strife towards eachother. [/color]

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » July 31st, 2005, 7:08 pm

Most American Christians are categorized as Protestant, and were adapted from the original Catholic church. the Catholic church and the Eastern Orthodox church both claim to be the first Christian church, before all other denominations such as Baptists, Seventh Day Adventists, Methodists, etc. etc. etc. etc even non-denominational Christianity. Catholicism is not only a sect of Christianity, it is also the original form of Christianity. Most Catholics see Christians as entirely different because they modified the original practices of the church.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » July 31st, 2005, 7:26 pm

^ ^ ^ ^ I do strongly beleive that The Jerusalem Church, with Peter & James were the first Christian Church & it was by far not a highly organized structure as The Rome Church came to be, after 300 years of Bishops leading the various Churches through out the Roman empire.

Jerusalem exercised leadership over the church in the early years of Christianity, then after A.D.70 when Jerusalem was razed by the Romans and its inhabitants scattered, other cities such as Alexandria and Antioch, and even Caesarea, each of these had its own Bishop just like Rome did, and were considered to be leaders of the Church; but the larger the city, the more powerful the Bishop became, eventually the bishop of Rome came to be recognized as the most important of all and finally designated pope under the political auspices of Constantine, the first Roman Emperor to support Christianity, who moved his political capitol from Byzantium, back to Rome and needed a unifying force to hold his empire together.

Thus the birth of the Roman Catholic Universal Church and the Papacy.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » August 1st, 2005, 7:30 am

That makes sense... but it is commonly accepted (most Encyclopedias, etc.) that Catholicism was first and debatably Eastern Orthodox. The Jerusalem Church was probably the church that is truest to the vision Jesus held, but there's not much record of it. History follows the ones with power and the ability to leave documentation the most closely, so the Roman Catholic Church becomes the first 'real' church by today's standards of organization and the number of practitioners.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » August 1st, 2005, 12:47 pm

^ ^ ^ ^ Under this form of identification of where the 1st Chistian religion sprouted in, even onto modern times, then surely you must include the Coptic, Chaldean, and Syrian Christian faiths, which were not necessarily lumped in together with the Eastern Ortodox Church. And by far they pre-date the formation of the Roman Catholic Church in terms of organizing their beleifs into a religion, because even while all the Bishops of the west and east were debating and ex-communicating each other, these that I mentioned pretty much stayed out of that feud and went their own way.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » August 1st, 2005, 6:10 pm

The Origins of the Church of Rome

The Roman Catholic Church has become the most powerful and widespread of all of Christendom’s religious movements, and its hierarchy has become a gigantic religious-political organization.

The Roman Catholic Church claims to be the one true Church, dating back to the beginning, and said to have been organized by Jesus Christ Himself, with the Apostle Peter as the first Pope and Vicar of Christ of earth.

The Church of Rome appropriated the name "Catholic"(worldwide) and Universal, thus laying claim to be the only true church and everything outside of it is labeled false and branded as heresy even up to recent times.

However, while the True Church (the Body of Christ) was born at in eternity in the Mind of God, the Roman Catholic Church was not organized until about 313 A.D. Some 300 years after Jesus life.

For the first three centuries the True Church was always threatened with extinction, under Imperial Rome’s intensive persecution of Christians, especially under the reigns of many Emperors, from Nero to Diocletian.

In 303 A.D. the Emperor Diocletian, determined once and for all to stamp out Christianity, issued a series of edicts, each more severe than the former, in his effort to exterminate Christianity. Christians were martyred by the thousands and the Roman prisons were filled to overflowing with Christian believers and ministers.

Then a most unexpected event took place. Constantine (the Great) became Emperor of Rome in the early part of the fourth century, and during one of his crucial battles for conquest, he is supposed to have seen in the sky a flaming cross (at midday) with the words inscribed in Greek: "By this sign conquer." He accepted this vision as word from Heaven, and that this “cross” was his key to victory. Accordingly, from that day on, he not only accepted Christianity but also made it the “official” religion of the Roman Empire.

Thus began the union of Church and State.

Constantine, however, was said not to have opposed the old pagan worship of Romans; but rather, he superimposed Christianity upon these pagan mystery religions, adopting elements from both; and thus, by allowing the pagans to continue their heathen customs, he made it easy for them to adopt Christianity. This he is said to have done for the consolidation of his power over the fractionalized empire.

The result was the birth of the Universal Roman Catholic Church, which contains a mixture of Christianity, Judaism, and Roman paganism. The Roman Church thus accepts most of the holy days and priesthood hierarchy copied from Judaism as well as influences of mystery paganism in the form of its charms such as holy water, candles, and imagery.

While the adoption of Christianity was hailed as a great victory for the Church, it was also, ironically, the beginning of her corruption.

From this date on, one can trace all the innumerable errors of the Roman Church - Mariolatry, the mass, purgatory, limbo, the celibacy of priesthood, adoration and worship of images, indulgences, the infallibility of the Pope, the immaculate conception of Mary, and many other unscriptural errors and un-Biblical doctrines.

Before Constantine, the True Church was persecuted and threatened with extermination; after Constantine there emerged the Roman Church, patronized by the Roman State, which subsequently sought temporal powers to rule and govern the State itself. Ultimately, the result in fact was of the State being compelled to bow to the edicts of the Roman Church.

From the birth of the True Christian Church at Pentecost and throughout the next three centuries, the True Church remained relatively pure in doctrine, but after the wedding of “Church and State” by Constantine, this blessing became the framework for the rapidly corrupting hierarchy in the Roman Church.

This was how the Universal Roman Catholic Church was born, and its hierarchy is with us even until this present day.

During the centuries from Constantine until the days of Luther, there were always Christian groups which separated themselves from this political and religious system, and they remained as a reaction against the ever increasing corruption of the Roman Church hierarchy. All of these groups were persecuted and many were martyred for their faith, as was previously the case with the True Church in its infancy under the persecution by the Roman Emperors, yet the True Church and the True Faith lives on for eternity, truth is within you and all around you, God’s message of redemption and salvation is available for all to receive and witness with His Son paying for your sins on the Cross.

ratt
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ratt » August 3rd, 2005, 2:03 pm

the pope and his followers was freinds with hitler and supported the third reich in their rise to power. nazi soldiers would go to catholic church and confess their sins to a preist after slaughtering countless jews. digusting!

catholics are also responsible for the brutal slavery of black people in america and abroad. many klansmans are catholics.

the list goes on and on and on and on.

how could the GOD of love and peace be represented by a religion that has a track record of hate and war?

they should be charged and convicted of crimes against humanity.