liquor consumption/billboards in gang neighborhoods

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

liquor consumption/billboards in gang neighborhoods

Unread post by incognito1 » January 19th, 2005, 7:57 pm

Have you ever noticed all of liquor billboards in minority neighborhoods? Lately there have been lots of cognac advertisements poppin up everywhere. What kind of liquor is pushed in your area? Do gangs from certain hoods drink certain liquor?

LOONEY TOON
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: liquor consumption/billboards in gang neighborhoods

Unread post by LOONEY TOON » January 19th, 2005, 10:39 pm

LOL :lol: :lol:

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 20th, 2005, 12:25 am

It might seem like an ignorant question but liquor companies are laughin' out loud all the way to the bank. They have a whole lot of money cause people are hpnotiq, Remy Red, Alize Red and Alize Blue. Is it just a coinsidence that the most popular drinks are also gang colors?

SILENCIO
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SILENCIO » January 20th, 2005, 12:43 am

U should post this in the Prevention, intervention and awareness forum.

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 20th, 2005, 3:39 pm

Would a crip be more likely to drink a blue liquor like hpnotiq or Alize Blue and vice versa for a blood like ALize red or Remy Red

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » January 20th, 2005, 5:43 pm

I noticed on Adams and Crenshaw, looking south, you will always see a Seagrams Gin billboard. it might change, but there is always a Seagrams Gin ad there, for over 10 years. I think that goes back to the Gin & Juice day that had become popular and that you hear Snoop Dogg mention, but I am not aware if Snoop mentions just Gin, or the brand name Seagrams in any of his raps.

Does anyone remember drinking Super Socko Juice and Gin in the late 1980s????????

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » January 20th, 2005, 7:00 pm

80's? No offense Alonso but us whitebread were not drinking gin and juice in the 80's. Beer first and foremost, followed by mixed drinks involving whiskey (remember we were raised in the era of cowboys) followed by fights, and rum which was followed by fights, and vodka of course followed by fights. Blacks turned us onto cognac in the mid 80's (followed by fights) and Mexicans turned us onto tequila around the turn of the previous century (before my time but I understand it was followed by fights). Honestly I think the reason we stuck to beer most of the time was to cut down on the fights. lol. Peace.

P.S. This post is posted purely for entertainment purposes and no part of it should be taken too seriously.

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 21st, 2005, 12:05 am

Although it might seem to be a conspiracy theory think about the marketing that has the potential to reach african american gang communities and think about the money that can be spent in these neighborhoods. While I am in no way saying that all african american neighborhoods are gang infested I am saying that recent statistics show that if black america pooled its money together they would be the ninth largest economy in the world. Surely they can be a target from Madison Avenue. And surley some of this marketing could have negative impacts. Like promomting although subliminaly the gang lifestyle. What do you guys think?

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 21st, 2005, 7:20 am

If you want to have a conspiracy.Here is one in europe.Germany /Hamburg.
Bacardi moved about 2001 into a new,their own? skyscraper with 12 flats.
http://www.klaus-autopark.de/index.php?id=184
In the builduing just next to it,the LKA(Landeskriminalamt) together with the first german program (ARD) is located.{on pic,left behind}All this,the way you nearly have to past the entrance of the main base of Hamburg police.
In the 90` Bacardi invented Alcopop drinks(BREEZER,Rigo) and made great break through on the teenmarket.Before ,in 95' Breezer wasn`t popular at all.

The parking of LKA and ARD are located in the Bacardi tower.

Those Bacadi clan was pulling quite some political strings back then,in USA,didn`t they?

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 21st, 2005, 1:42 pm

I have noticed that in the ETG Crip neighborhood in south central there are plenty of Alize Blue billboards are there also alot in places where bloods live?

Has anyone ever seen grafitti or murals that incorporate liquor brands like ALize, Hpnotiq, RemyRed, or Hennessy in their hoods?

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » January 21st, 2005, 3:00 pm

alonso wrote: Does anyone remember drinking Super Socko Juice and Gin in the late 1980s????????
LOL...yup, used to be a good drink too. I haven't seen Super Socko Juice in stores in a long ass time though.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 21st, 2005, 3:03 pm

Ay man, I got that Night Flight at my corner. F*ckin’super lager, TWO cans for ONE dollar. The cans got a f*ckin slealth bomber on the outside. Lol

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » January 21st, 2005, 3:09 pm

You can make the same argument about drugs and guns too.

There used to be a FCC edict on advertising liquor on tv or on outdoor billboards long ago. Liquor lobbyists changed that, now you have everyone watching the Superbowl to see what kind of beer commercials are on.

You don't see Colt 45 Billy Dee Williams commercials anymore, you don't see thunderbird/maddog 20-20/night train/strawberry hill/cisco being advertised at all...yet they still sell at the liquor store.

Gangbangers are consumers too, they have tastes and preferences just like any other consumer in the hood. I don't think there is some kind of subliminal marketing going on. If that was so, how come nobody is catching the holy ghost and spreading the word...I bet you there are more churches/mosques/temples in the hood than there are liquor stores.

And rappers have been giving these liquor companies free advertising in their platinum selling raps. Rap industry probably singlehandedly saved the cognac industry, they were in decline for years until the rappers started using hennessey in their raps.

TmaaN

Unread post by TmaaN » January 21st, 2005, 4:33 pm

Why do Nigg@z hang out in front of Liqour stores? I seldom see Whites or Mexicans or any other race for that matter…

tt
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tt » January 22nd, 2005, 3:58 am

alonso wrote: I am not aware if Snoop mentions just Gin, or the brand name Seagrams in any of his raps.
Now, that, I got me some Seagram’s gin
Everybody got they cups, but they ain’t chipped in
:)

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 22nd, 2005, 5:18 am

Speaking of liquor shoutouts in rap I know that in Thug Passion Tupac says that His drink is "one part alize one christal" but it seems like Alize Red Passion and Hennesy has become the standard recipe?

Does anyone know what Pac really drank. Also I heard about a recipe that calls for Hennessey, Alize Red,and Hpnotiq called a "Smurf Killer" is that a negative term towards a Blood or a Crip?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » January 22nd, 2005, 8:23 am

tt wrote:
alonso wrote: I am not aware if Snoop mentions just Gin, or the brand name Seagrams in any of his raps.
Now, that, I got me some Seagram’s gin
Everybody got they cups, but they ain’t chipped in
:)

Oh yeah, how can i forget about that one, he sure did say the brand Seagrams.

Well check this out. I took a short drive down Jefferson Ave in Los Angeles from Crenshaw to Normandie and saw 2 Blue Alize ads, 2 Courvesier ads and a couple of others. I posted the pics in the gallery of the page under "billboards" at:

http://www.streetgangs.com/gallery/billboards/

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » January 22nd, 2005, 4:06 pm

from far away,where I am ,it seems like the advertisement is well placed.
Its more like following capitalistic rules.
In Moscow there is at least one Ghetto were mostly alcohol addicts live in.Everybody knows it .
Let it alone anyway.

tt
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tt » January 23rd, 2005, 4:55 am

that's a lot of billboards...

JRatta
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by JRatta » January 23rd, 2005, 4:33 pm

incognito1 wrote:Speaking of liquor shoutouts in rap I know that in Thug Passion Tupac says that His drink is "one part alize one christal" but it seems like Alize Red Passion and Hennesy has become the standard recipe?

Does anyone know what Pac really drank. Also I heard about a recipe that calls for Hennessey, Alize Red,and Hpnotiq called a "Smurf Killer" is that a negative term towards a Blood or a Crip?
Never heard of that smurf killer. But I know of a variation of thug passion which is one part hennessy and one part hpnotiq it's called "Incredible Hulk" because it's green...shit is hella good.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 24th, 2005, 10:39 am

Thunderbird
17.5% alc. by vol.

Look for the pigeon feces and you'll find this old bird. As soon as you taste this swill, it will be obvious that its makers cut every corner possible in its production to make it cheap. Self-proclaimed as "The American Classic," Thuderbird is Vinted and bottled by E&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA. Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd." Anyways, if your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you. Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird. As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower. The undisputed leader of the five in foulness of flavor, we highly discourage driking this ghastly mixture of unknown chemicals unless you really are a bum. A convenience store clerk in Show Low, AZ once told me that only the oldest of stumbling indian drunks from the reservation buy Thunderbird. Avaliable in 750 mL and a devastating 50 oz jug.

The history of Thunderbird is as interesting as the drunken effects the one experiences from the wine. When Prohibition ended, Ernest Gallo and his brothers Julio and Joe wanted to corner the young wine market. Earnest wanted the company to become "the Campbell Soup company of the wine industry" so he started selling Thunderbird in the ghettos around the country. Their radio adds featured a song that sang, "What's the word? / Thunderbird / How's it sold? / Good and cold / What's the jive? / Bird's alive / What's the price? / Thirty twice." It is said that Ernest once drove through a tough, inner city neighborhood and pulled over when he saw a bum. When Gallo rolled down his window and called out, "What's the word?" the immediate answer from the bum was, "Thunderbird."

WARNING: This light yellow liquid turns your lips and mouth black! A mysterious chemical reaction similar to disappearing-reappearing ink makes you look like you've been chewing on hearty clumps of charcoal.

To read about others such as MD 20/20, Cisco, Night train
http://www.bumwine.com/

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 27th, 2005, 9:59 pm

Did anyone ever get a chance to Club 662 in Vegas before it closed down? Has anyone been to clubs like Justins owned by P Diddy or the 40/40 Club? I think it is owned by Jay Z.

Cant forget about the Century Club either.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » January 28th, 2005, 12:17 am

incognito1 wrote:Did anyone ever get a chance to Club 662 in Vegas before it closed down? Has anyone been to clubs like Justins owned by P Diddy or the 40/40 Club? I think it is owned by Jay Z.

Cant forget about the Century Club either.
You should create a new string if it is on another topic.

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 28th, 2005, 2:03 pm

ooops...... what I was getting at was the way in which liquor companies sponsor and promote in hip-hop clubs. They push cognac alot in these places I was just wondering if anyone has been to an event at a club or concert where congac companies where pushing their product.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 28th, 2005, 2:08 pm

i been in clubs where they give out free shots of Hypnotq. Shit gets you f*****cked up

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 28th, 2005, 3:06 pm

Do you remember if this was being given away by the club or by hpnotiq as a promotion? What club did this happen at I know that at Century Club they do a lot of promotions like that?
Last edited by incognito1 on January 28th, 2005, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 28th, 2005, 3:15 pm

nah chill it was just lil shots, not whole bottles and it was a bar/club out in Brooklyn. But I've seen this type of promotion with all types of drinks. NOt really shit like Vodka, Whiskey, You know your standard hard liquor, but shit like Sizzurp, Hypnotq, you know the 'Rap / Hip-Hop' related drinks.

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 28th, 2005, 3:30 pm

Does syzzurp come in more than one flavor and in what colors? I have heard about it but never seen it, does anyone know what it is made out of?

I have only heard about it in a rap songs it had a part where they kept sayin' "sippin on syzzurp"

Someone told me that originally syzzurp was made by people in the hood out of cough medicine liquor and juice then later someone took the name and made a new product.

At least that is what I was told.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » January 28th, 2005, 3:38 pm

Yup Codeine / Promethazine (prescription), you're supposed to drink it straight and don't mix it with regular liquor, that's the real Syzyrp, Sizzurp, that most songs talk about. If you drink it with regular liqs your bound to pass out right in the middle of a crowded place and have a hard time waking up.
Cam'ron and Jim Jones who whoever came up with bottled 'Sizzurp' is just taking the popularity of Promethazine / Codeine and putting into another drink that's very similar to Hypnotq.

incognito1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by incognito1 » January 28th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Does the new syzzurp that is being sold in stores also have cognac in it the same way as hpnotiq does?

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » January 31st, 2005, 2:18 pm

BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:You can make the same argument about drugs and guns too.

There used to be a FCC edict on advertising liquor on tv or on outdoor billboards long ago. Liquor lobbyists changed that, now you have everyone watching the Superbowl to see what kind of beer commercials are on.

You don't see Colt 45 Billy Dee Williams commercials anymore, you don't see thunderbird/maddog 20-20/night train/strawberry hill/cisco being advertised at all...yet they still sell at the liquor store.

Gangbangers are consumers too, they have tastes and preferences just like any other consumer in the hood. I don't think there is some kind of subliminal marketing going on. If that was so, how come nobody is catching the holy ghost and spreading the word...I bet you there are more churches/mosques/temples in the hood than there are liquor stores.

And rappers have been giving these liquor companies free advertising in their platinum selling raps. Rap industry probably singlehandedly saved the cognac industry, they were in decline for years until the rappers started using hennessey in their raps.
That's right. Now you have like Martell up on billboards.. They were about done for before the turn around happened for the cognac industry. Probably nobody remembers Apocalypse Now's opening scene with Sheen going crazy in a hotel room off a bottle of Martell.

Light_skin_boi
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Light_skin_boi » February 1st, 2005, 4:36 pm

what does Hypnotq taste like? we dont get that ova here