If you had the cash, what business would you start?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » May 28th, 2007, 7:03 pm

No. Though that industry does not fit a perfectly competitive economic model, price point would still be a factor in developing a customer base and gaining market share.

But yes profits would be reinvested internally for growth and diversification but also invested externally as well.
MiChuhSuh wrote:
Old Shatterhand wrote:I would incorporate as an enterprise solution provider offering enterprise business and technology solutions to businesses if I had the capitalization to launch that. After the corporation obtained profitability, I would expand into real estate, property management, and financial services.
In other words, you would BS/overcharge large companies, then take the profits to invest elsewhere :lol:

SAINTJAYMES
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by SAINTJAYMES » May 29th, 2007, 10:17 am

oil refinery

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » June 16th, 2007, 1:58 am

hahaa at clubs and record labels.......most of you dont know what goes into a club and how easy it is to go broke.............and record labels?....cmon......you gotta assume people would even buy yoir shitty records.............................................look beyond all the bitches and fakes in rap vids homie......look for steady and consistant

JelisLust
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by JelisLust » June 16th, 2007, 11:41 am

I'd have a store that consists of real rap and hip-hop(none of that Ying Yang Twins Young Jok garbage or MTV shit) music, urban clothing that won't rape your wallets, and graffiti supplies.

That way, I could open plenty of job opportunities to people in my community and get people into cool hobbies.

Because I care. ;)

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 16th, 2007, 10:00 pm

andrew wrote:hahaa at clubs and record labels.......most of you dont know what goes into a club and how easy it is to go broke.............and record labels?....cmon......you gotta assume people would even buy yoir _____ records.............................................look beyond all the women and fakes in rap vids homie......look for steady and consistant
real talk

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » June 17th, 2007, 2:49 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
andrew wrote:hahaa at clubs and record labels.......most of you dont know what goes into a club and how easy it is to go broke.............and record labels?....cmon......you gotta assume people would even buy yoir _____ records.............................................look beyond all the women and fakes in rap vids homie......look for steady and consistant
real talk
F that. If somebody wanna start a club or record label more power to em. A ice cream truck or anything. Free Enterprise is what its all about. Better than slaving for some country club alcoholic who will pay you low wages, work you to death and smile in your face telling you he will give you benefits. Then you come to find out hell you paying for it out your check. So start you club or label. Dont let a sucka exploit you.

SAINTJAYMES
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by SAINTJAYMES » June 17th, 2007, 9:37 am

man a club if ran correctly is a cash cow

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 17th, 2007, 9:37 am

^ ice cream truck is more stable than a record label, and a lot of small record label owners don't quit their day job, in fact they use their sh*tty job to pay to start and maintain their record label until they either can't afford it anymore or until (a rare chance) they blow up

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » June 18th, 2007, 3:31 am

coin operated laundry, with video games and vending machines and a car wash out back.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 18th, 2007, 4:09 am

That is a money maker, boring but lucrative!

For me, urban clothing/footwear design biz

SAINTJAYMES
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by SAINTJAYMES » June 18th, 2007, 10:50 am

the car wash is somthing i have had my eye on a long time SUPER DUPER cash cow

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » June 18th, 2007, 11:19 am

I want to open a car customization shop and a barber shop. Hopefully lead to some chains that can lead to the type of wealth we are speaking of but if successful Ill most def be comfortable.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 18th, 2007, 3:22 pm

SAINTJAYMES wrote:the car wash is somthing i have had my eye on a long time SUPER DUPER cash cow
just watch out for punk lawsuits, I know another guy in Corona that bought a car wash and he could see why it sold so low, every other week someone claimed that previous damage on a car was done at the car wash

SAINTJAYMES
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by SAINTJAYMES » June 18th, 2007, 4:41 pm

disclamers bnrotha disclaimers where at in corona

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » June 18th, 2007, 7:57 pm

i don't know, but it got him bankrupt, and he lost his house, so I didn't ask about it

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » June 19th, 2007, 11:10 am

real estate(noun)-Property consisting of houses and land.

thats wat imma do

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » June 20th, 2007, 3:50 am

Real estate, yeah man, thats where the money goes....but to begin on that, you need capital to get going....buy with mortgage and rent to cover to be freed up to buy again based on the last one, rent and so on....but it needs initial capital, lots of it.

SAINTJAYMES
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by SAINTJAYMES » June 20th, 2007, 10:50 am

Not necessarily noog if you got good credit scores you dont need alot of out of pocket money

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » June 20th, 2007, 11:25 am

I would open a aftercare facility for at-risk youth. :) :P :!:

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » June 20th, 2007, 12:44 pm

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:real estate(noun)-Property consisting of houses and land.

thats wat imma do
Real estate is where the money is if you know what your doing. The market is suffering in some areas but if approached correctly its most def a profit maker.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » June 21st, 2007, 10:10 am

LcBwC wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:real estate(noun)-Property consisting of houses and land.

thats wat imma do
Real estate is where the money is if you know what your doing. The market is suffering in some areas but if approached correctly its most def a profit maker.
I accidentally got into the market in Alberta. I bought a condo 7 years ago in a less then desireable part of town in Edmonton for $60,000. I just listed it last week for $235,000. The average house in Edmonton is going for $440,000. The highest for any major city in Canada. Had anyone got into the real estate market in Alberta, Canada 5 years ago, you'd be laughing right now. Real Estate can be a great market to get into if you know what you're doing. Likewise any buisness. I hear people mentioning clubs. You can make stupid money in clubs but you have to know what you're doing. The average life span of a club in any major city is less then 2 years so you need to find your niche.

I personally put money in RRSP's and low risk stocks and such. I'm not making money hand over fist, but I am saving money for my family.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » June 21st, 2007, 11:06 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:
LcBwC wrote:

thats wat imma do
I accidentally got into the market in Alberta. I bought a condo 7 years ago in a less then desireable part of town in Edmonton for $60,000. I just listed it last week for $235,000. The average house in Edmonton is going for $440,000. The highest for any major city in Canada. Had anyone got into the real estate market in Alberta, Canada 5 years ago, you'd be laughing right now. Real Estate can be a great market to get into if you know what you're doing. Likewise any buisness. I hear people mentioning clubs. You can make stupid money in clubs but you have to know what you're doing. The average life span of a club in any major city is less then 2 years so you need to find your niche.

I personally put money in RRSP's and low risk stocks and such. I'm not making money hand over fist, but I am saving money for my family.
See that, I'm trying do big things like that.
imma be the First Cambodian ALL-PRO NFL Defensive Tackle/Donald Trump type Real estate/fortune 89 billion/US president
and if i get shot and live im gonna make a rap album too.

then ill cure cancer just for fun.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 21st, 2007, 3:47 pm

You know, I ain't got that many skills to be proud of . . . I'm like most people, just making the best out of what comes my way. I do however have a knack for picking-up on what is not around but "is needed" in the neighborhood, and I don't know if I said this before or not - but - down here in Daygo, there's a need for a Tommy's Hamburgers or something like that. In L.A. there's ton's of corner joint places where you can walk-in and order chili-chese burger and onion-rings or a pastrami hot-sandwich and fries, maybe even a ground beef burrito and some chips with salsa, but down here in this town ~~> there ain't no-place like that. . If you wanna a chili-dog, you head to Der-Wienerschnitzel, if you want some onion-rings, you head to Jack in the Crack, and if you want some Burrito, you head down to the Mexican food joint, but you won't find them all under the same roof. A PLACE LIKE TOMMY'S IS WHAT IS ONE OF SEVERAL VENTURES ON MY AGENDA FOR THE FUTURE!!! And if any of you mofo's beat me to it ~~> Im'ma drop in on you with some Tj Boys that will run back across the border before you know what's up :lol: :twisted:

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » June 21st, 2007, 4:03 pm

Lonewolf wrote:You know, I ain't got that many skills to be proud of . . . I'm like most people, just making the best out of what comes my way. I do however have a knack for picking-up on what is not around but "is needed" in the neighborhood, and I don't know if I said this before or not - but - down here in Daygo, there's a need for a Tommy's Hamburgers or something like that. In L.A. there's ton's of corner joint places where you can walk-in and order chili-chese burger and onion-rings or a pastrami hot-sandwich and fries, maybe even a ground beef burrito and some chips with salsa, but down here in this town ~~> there ain't no-place like that. . If you wanna a chili-dog, you head to Der-Wienerschnitzel, if you want some onion-rings, you head to Jack in the Crack, and if you want some Burrito, you head down to the Mexican food joint, but you won't find them all under the same roof. A PLACE LIKE TOMMY'S IS WHAT IS ONE OF SEVERAL VENTURES ON MY AGENDA FOR THE FUTURE!!! And if any of you mofo's beat me to it ~~> Im'ma drop in on you with some Tj Boys that will run back across the border before you know what's up :lol: :twisted:
Get a small buisness loan and get going then. I don't know how old you are, or if you own anything but a venture like that you have to take risks. I know people who put their homes on the line to start buisnesses. Me personally, I couldn't do that and be able to sleep at night but if you know thats what you can do to make money then get at it. Even if you don't know how to run a place like that, get enough investors or enough loans and hire a bunch of staff to run it for it, turn it around and sell it off. Or take that money made and open more. Basically you're the GM of a fleet of stores but never have to set foot in a place unless you notice it not making money. No one says you have to me a multi-millionare tycoon, just make money and live comfortably.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » June 21st, 2007, 6:36 pm

Thats what its all about, living comfortably.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » June 21st, 2007, 7:22 pm

but to be real tho if i dont get into real estate imma prolly open up quarter Laundromat and sell White-ts at the counter.
i dont know how laundromats work out west but over here in philly they make a shit load of money.
White Ts also sell like crazy if you price them right.over here they like $3.50 for 1.
buy yo Ts at my place.wash yo Ts at my place.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » June 22nd, 2007, 6:16 am

After I saw what my ex-husband had to do for his multiple businesses, that killed any dreams of entrepreneurship for me.

He had one main business and two smaller businesses on the side. The advertising business he and his dad started in the 80's is still going strong, and the gun store that we opened (it evolved from an antique store that specialized in antique firearms) is still open for business, but we did have one store that went belly up.

Even though I wanted minimal part in the business, it was a "family" business, and I got suckered into it. I'd work the retail stores when no one else could/would even after having worked a full day at my real job.

It seemed like everything became a decision that affected the business. When we bought a house, that affected the business. When I bought a new car, that was a business decision. It was very frustrating that I couldn't make decisions on my own anymore.

I look at people in a whole new light now after having been screwed over by employees.

Since he was the owner/operator, he decided long ago that he wouldn't give himself a paycheck, so many times MY paycheck was the only one coming in. There were a few times that we had to use funds from my paycheck to help cover the payroll expenses.

He also couldn't afford health insurance for himself or his employees. We got burned really badly by an alcoholic who showed up to work late. The ex fired him, and he applied for unemployment and won, because we had no "proof" he was drunk. He hired ex-cons, trying to give them the chance to better their lives, and they just ended up screwing him over. He had to make some hard decisions (and learned hard lessons) so that people wouldn't take advantage of his good heart.

My ex was an entrepreneurship in the true sense of the word, but it got to be too much for me. I think that the businesses were part of the reason that I left the marriage.

I admire and applaud everyone who can do it, but just because you own your own business doesn't mean it's easier than a 9-5 paycheck job. Me? I'm much happier with my paychecks and insurances.

Would any of you have business partners or would you do it all on your own?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 22nd, 2007, 3:19 pm

I admire and applaud everyone who can do it, but just because you own your own business doesn't mean it's easier than a 9-5 paycheck job. Me? I'm much happier with my paychecks and insurances.
Very true, I'm with you on that paycheck and insurance deal, that's how come I never went and followed on my pop's line of work full-fledged. He had to deal with shortage of help, shortage of time/deadlines, he had to deal with lazy and unreliable help, he had to deal with permits, licenses, taxes, expenses, insurance for this or that, he worked long hours, worked on holidays and all kinds of non-regular schedules. Now an old man, he's got little to show for all his troubles cause the system always seems to deal hard blows to the small businessman. Big gov always favors the lazy and the corporate, never the average small owner trying to make the right decision for his livelyhood. . I went after a stable job with decent benefits, now I have my pension, my 401k, my additional pension plan/insurance, my ole ladies, our properties and our social security if its still around by the time we call it quite. I'm shooting for "55" and that's it for me ~~> later, hasta la vista baby, I'm done and set for life . . . south of the border of course.

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: If you had the cash, what business would you start?

Unread post by andrew » March 25th, 2009, 9:31 pm

just wondering if anyones views changed over the last year or so?

me personally i wouldnt necesarilly stay away from real estate............but i told you guys about about clubs/record labels......stupid investments

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » March 26th, 2009, 11:27 am

Funeral home in North Philadelphia.
Or crime scene clean-up like in that movie that just came out.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » March 26th, 2009, 11:37 am

Or one of those businesses that celebrities and rich people call up when they need something.(forgot what it was called)
those celebrities and rich people always change but ill always be there to take the money from the people who are willing to give it.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Unread post by razbojnik » March 26th, 2009, 12:32 pm

LOL for business, don't worry about it. When I get the money, I'll spend billions on opening nightclubs, bars/bistros/kafanas, resturaunts, lounges, coffee bars and just places where people can gather and enjoy themselves. Since I'll own these places and spend most of my free time here, I'll break the tables, chairs and bottles I own off people that come into my club for fun. It'll be like they say: Las Vegas; America's playground. :D