Naples / Italian Gangs / Camorra

There has been an increase in gang and youth groups in many Western European cities that have seen an influx of immigrants. There is also a significant organized crime coming from Eastern Europe In this section discuss Austria [Österreich], Denmark [ Danmark], England, France [FRANSS], Finland, Germany [Deutschland], Greece [Ελληνική, Elliniki], Ireland, Italy [italiana], Netherlands [Nederland], Norway [Norge], Rossiyskaya], Scotland, Spain [España] Sweden [Sverige] and the UK including any place on the Western European continent.
Forum rules
Discuss anything about Western European street gangs and organized crime.
FrankieB
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Naples / Italian Gangs / Camorra

Unread post by FrankieB » December 28th, 2007, 1:55 am

Does anybody know about the current gang situation in Naples / Italy ?
Are there also smaller gangs/crews who are not affiliated with the Camorra clans ?
Are there ghettos and no -go areas in Naples ?
I heard its pretty wild - 100 to 150 murders a year and the city has about 1 million population !
Highest murder rate in Europe !

Can anybody speak on this ?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » December 28th, 2007, 6:00 am

Code of the Camorra - a 37min doc

Jinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Naples / Italian Gangs / Camorra

Unread post by Jinky » December 29th, 2007, 3:24 am

FrankieB wrote: Highest murder rate in Europe !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article ... 88,00.html

According to this Finaldn has the highest and the Scotland

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » December 29th, 2007, 8:29 am

FrankieB wrote:Does anybody know about the current gang situation in Naples / Italy ?
Are there also smaller gangs/crews who are not affiliated with the Camorra clans ?
Are there ghettos and no -go areas in Naples ?
I heard its pretty wild - 100 to 150 murders a year and the city has about 1 million population !
Highest murder rate in Europe !

yea i doubt its the hghest murder rate in europe if its only got about 10 murders per 100.000 people

Jinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jinky » December 29th, 2007, 9:07 am

Scotland's homicide rate is 2.33 deaths for every 100,000 people each year, compared with 0.7 in England and Wales. In Spain it is 1.02, and in Italy 0.96. Germany has western Europe's lowest murder rate: 0.68 per 100,000 people.

Jinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jinky » December 29th, 2007, 9:14 am

Most of the murder in Scotland happen in Glasgow which only has population of about 600 thousand

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » December 29th, 2007, 10:00 am

Jinky wrote:
FrankieB wrote: Highest murder rate in Europe !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article ... 88,00.html

According to this Finaldn has the highest and the Scotland
I guess he meant that right now Naples as a city has the highest murder rate in Europe. I dont know for sure, but wouldnt doubt it either. In that Doc i posted he said that 600 people have been killed in the past 2 years i think.

FrankieB
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by FrankieB » December 30th, 2007, 4:26 am

Sentenza is right ! I meant the bad parts of Naples, especially Scampia.

Scampia has 40000 people and around 50 murders a year, so it is even worse than Compton, California and would be the
most dangerous city in the US ! Think about it ! Only Rio de Janeiro and places like Cape Town and Somalia are worse !
And we are talking about southern Europe ! Wait for the movie Gomorrah, which is partially shot in those no-go areas of Naples.

Glasgow, Scotland is also very bad, but they don`t use guns ! They got that knife thing going on there, which
makes them totally unique -although sad as well ! Must be a really violent city, having those numbers without using firearms ! Out of control !

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » December 30th, 2007, 5:45 am

FrankieB wrote:Sentenza is right ! I meant the bad parts of Naples, especially Scampia.

Scampia has 40000 people and around 50 murders a year, so it is even worse than Compton, California and would be the
most dangerous city in the US ! Think about it ! Only Rio de Janeiro and places like Cape Town and Somalia are worse !
And we are talking about southern Europe ! Wait for the movie Gomorrah, which is partially shot in those no-go areas of Naples.

Glasgow, Scotland is also very bad, but they don`t use guns ! They got that knife thing going on there, which
makes them totally unique -although sad as well ! Must be a really violent city, having those numbers without using firearms ! Out of control !
Yea Glasgow and Naples are completly different
In Naples guns are everywhere, making the high murder rate
In Glasgow guns are very rare , but it still has quite a high murder rate
So Naples probably has one of the highest murder rates in europe
But Glasgow is probably one of the most violent citys on europe

About %50 of Glasgow's population lives in poverty

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » December 30th, 2007, 10:36 am

Can someone find murder rates of Naples? I can't. Instead I found some link that said some other city (that name I already forgot) had the highest murder rate in Italy, and it only had about 5 murders per 100 000. I'm sure there are some rough areas in Naples (like every city does), but as a whole, I guess it's not that bad after all.

Jinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jinky » December 30th, 2007, 3:33 pm

Guns arent that rare in Glasgow nearly all orginised crime killings will be with guns, people just think that beacuse the knife culture is so bad it over shadows their are still guns getting used alot here

FrankieB
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by FrankieB » December 31st, 2007, 9:44 am

Naples has about 100-150 murders a year. When the clans are warring it might go up to 250.
The bad thing is that most of it happens in the northern parts like Scampia, which truly can be
called the Bronx of Europe ! And I mean the Bronx back in the 80s ! Watch videos and documentaries on
YouTube.
So Naples is only really bad and highly dangerous in the "ghettos", not the whole city.
It also has parts where a lot of wealthy people live. Same as everywhere I guess.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » December 31st, 2007, 11:55 am

FrankieB wrote:Naples has about 100-150 murders a year.
Seems like that is true. I finally found some kind of an article about the murder rate in Italy:

"Estonia is top for murders in the EU !

Rome - Italy's homicide rate is the seventh highest in the European Union with more than 700 murders in 2004, according to a crime report issued on Tuesday .

The report, compiled by economic and social research institute Eures together with ANSA, said that 710 murders were committed in Italy last year, or 1.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, with two murders less than in 2003.

Almost 74% of all murder victims in 2004 were male, it said. While Italy was seventh among the 25 EU member states, its 2004 murder rate was still lower than the EU average of 2.8 murders per 100,0000 inhabitants, the report said .

But it noted that the European average rose sharply last year after ten new members joined the block .

Estonia, for example, has the highest murder rate in the EU with 10.4 per 100,000 residents followed by Lithuania and Latvia with 9.5 .

Greece posted the lowest homicide rate in the EU at 0.8 followed by Austria (0.9) and Denmark (1) .

Returning to Italy, the report said the number of murders committed in the country had fallen sharply since the period 1990-1995 when there were an average of 1,430 murders per year .

Organised crime groups were responsible for 200, or more than a quarter, of last year's murders while family-related homicides came to 187, or one every other day. It said the southern half of the country had the worst record, accounting for almost 58% of all murders committed in 2004 .

Murders in the south rose a sharp 8% over 2003 whereas they plunged 10.7% in the north and 6.7% in central regions .

The report confirmed government concerns over growing violence in the regions of Campania around Naples and Calabria in the south.

Campania was found to be the region with the highest number of murders - 179 homicides or 25% of the total - while Naples was the most violent city with 126 murders compared to 37 in Rome and 35 in Reggio Calabria.

Calabria, however, posted the highest murder rate with 3.7 per 100,000 inhabitants. The report found a steep rise in the number of foreigners killed in Italy, up 28% over 2003 and accounting for a fifth of all murders committed in 2004. The murder rate among the resident foreign population stands at 7.3 per 100,000 compared to 1 per 100,000 for Italian inhabitants, it said. Looking in greater detail at domestic murders, the report said that women were the victims in 70% of cases and that 80% of such murders were committed by men .

The study found that Fridays and the weekends were the most dangerous times of the week, with 116 murders committed on a Friday last year and 110 on a Sunday .

Wednesday was the day of the week with the lowest murder rate - 68 in all!"

http://shaan.typepad.com/shaanou/2005/1 ... _top_.html

......so all in all, Naples as a city isn't even near the most murderous city in Europe, but the murders seem to happen only in certain parts of the city making those parts bad.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » December 31st, 2007, 11:56 am

FrankieB wrote:Naples has about 100-150 murders a year.
Seems like that is true. I finally found some kind of an article about the murder rate in Italy:

"Estonia is top for murders in the EU !

Rome - Italy's homicide rate is the seventh highest in the European Union with more than 700 murders in 2004, according to a crime report issued on Tuesday .

The report, compiled by economic and social research institute Eures together with ANSA, said that 710 murders were committed in Italy last year, or 1.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, with two murders less than in 2003.

Almost 74% of all murder victims in 2004 were male, it said. While Italy was seventh among the 25 EU member states, its 2004 murder rate was still lower than the EU average of 2.8 murders per 100,0000 inhabitants, the report said .

But it noted that the European average rose sharply last year after ten new members joined the block .

Estonia, for example, has the highest murder rate in the EU with 10.4 per 100,000 residents followed by Lithuania and Latvia with 9.5 .

Greece posted the lowest homicide rate in the EU at 0.8 followed by Austria (0.9) and Denmark (1) .

Returning to Italy, the report said the number of murders committed in the country had fallen sharply since the period 1990-1995 when there were an average of 1,430 murders per year .

Organised crime groups were responsible for 200, or more than a quarter, of last year's murders while family-related homicides came to 187, or one every other day. It said the southern half of the country had the worst record, accounting for almost 58% of all murders committed in 2004 .

Murders in the south rose a sharp 8% over 2003 whereas they plunged 10.7% in the north and 6.7% in central regions .

The report confirmed government concerns over growing violence in the regions of Campania around Naples and Calabria in the south.

Campania was found to be the region with the highest number of murders - 179 homicides or 25% of the total - while Naples was the most violent city with 126 murders compared to 37 in Rome and 35 in Reggio Calabria.

Calabria, however, posted the highest murder rate with 3.7 per 100,000 inhabitants. The report found a steep rise in the number of foreigners killed in Italy, up 28% over 2003 and accounting for a fifth of all murders committed in 2004. The murder rate among the resident foreign population stands at 7.3 per 100,000 compared to 1 per 100,000 for Italian inhabitants, it said. Looking in greater detail at domestic murders, the report said that women were the victims in 70% of cases and that 80% of such murders were committed by men .

The study found that Fridays and the weekends were the most dangerous times of the week, with 116 murders committed on a Friday last year and 110 on a Sunday .

Wednesday was the day of the week with the lowest murder rate - 68 in all!"

http://shaan.typepad.com/shaanou/2005/1 ... _top_.html

......so all in all, Naples as a city isn't even near the most murderous city in Europe, but the murders seem to happen only in certain parts of the city making those parts bad.

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » January 2nd, 2008, 3:12 am

The myth that big cities have more crime than little cities is complete bull, but most little cities for except little some don't have alot of crime.

Stip, Macedonia, my town, has had only a few murders since 1992, a population of 50,000.

Yet, you would find more verbal violance, aka swearing, insults and bad gossip than any other city I can think of. It also has more mobsters than Toronto, I think I've mentioned that before. And everyone knows where to find em. Hotel Oaza, any BMW or Mercedes is to a mobster, and any old guy in the bars there at the hotel is surely something involved in shit.

It's easier to buy a gun there too, and drugs for sure.

There hasn't been a single incedent where a kid has brought a gun or a knife into the high school, not even a murder, not to mention fights! No fighting! Hardly any!

And there are officially 3 black males in town, Jimmy, and his half black songs Little Jimmy and Big Jimmy. Big Jimmy robbed a gas station with a gun. :roll:

Carmelo_Sicily
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Carmelo_Sicily » May 6th, 2008, 6:13 am

Look at Baltimore...has only 600,000 people in it and it had 282 murders last year.

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Glesga

Unread post by Jinky08 » May 10th, 2008, 2:31 pm

flame_guards_member1 wrote:The myth that big cities have more crime than little cities is complete bull, but most little cities for except little some don't have alot of crime.

Stip, Macedonia, my town, has had only a few murders since 1992, a population of 50,000.

Yet, you would find more verbal violance, aka swearing, insults and bad gossip than any other city I can think of. It also has more mobsters than Toronto, I think I've mentioned that before. And everyone knows where to find em. Hotel Oaza, any BMW or Mercedes is to a mobster, and any old guy in the bars there at the hotel is surely something involved in shit.

It's easier to buy a gun there too, and drugs for sure.

There hasn't been a single incedent where a kid has brought a gun or a knife into the high school, not even a murder, not to mention fights! No fighting! Hardly any!

And there are officially 3 black males in town, Jimmy, and his half black songs Little Jimmy and Big Jimmy. Big Jimmy robbed a gas station with a gun. :roll:
It sayed in a newspaper here that its easier to buy a gun in glasgow than it is too buy one in england or wales,

Faciulina
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Faciulina » May 15th, 2008, 12:55 pm

the difference is that in south italy the average of murders is linked with the mafia wars, 95% of murders are committed by the mafia, ndrangheta or camorra instead the other kind of murders are rare nowadays, i bet in baltimora and other american or european cities most of the murders are for other reasons and only a very small part is linked with organized crime or even gangs, in palermo at the beginning of 1980s there were 400 murders for year and it has 600.000 people, but they were all related with the mafia wars of that time, when the mafia wars stopped the average of murders collapsed but it is dominated totally by cosa nostra

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 15th, 2008, 3:14 pm

Faciulina wrote:the difference is that in south italy the average of murders is linked with the mafia wars, 95% of murders are committed by the mafia, ndrangheta or camorra instead the other kind of murders are rare nowadays, i bet in baltimora and other american or european cities most of the murders are for other reasons and only a very small part is linked with organized crime or even gangs, in palermo at the beginning of 1980s there were 400 murders for year and it has 600.000 people, but they were all related with the mafia wars of that time, when the mafia wars stopped the average of murders collapsed but it is dominated totally by cosa nostra
I was in Palermo in 2005 and i was surprised, cause they had plenty of security at all banks. Cops with machine guns and you werent allowed to enter before they checked your ID, with automatically opening iron doors etc. They said it was because of a wave of Mafia related robberies they had in the 90s.

BLUEYES

Unread post by BLUEYES » May 17th, 2008, 9:48 am

Europe is probably the most peaceful continent in the world, the homicide rate in violent city as naples, glasgow or moscow is low compared to the Latin American cities, Bogota, La Paz, Caracas, Rio de Janeiro have a homicide rate over 100 murders per 100.000 inhabitants. Southern Italy is violent only when the related-mafia murders rise, but it is a specific case

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 17th, 2008, 10:30 am

BLUEYES wrote:Europe is probably the most peaceful continent in the world, the homicide rate in violent city as naples, glasgow or moscow is low compared to the Latin American cities, Bogota, La Paz, Caracas, Rio de Janeiro have a homicide rate over 100 murders per 100.000 inhabitants. Southern Italy is violent only when the related-mafia murders rise, but it is a specific case
That is true mostly, even though you are wrong about Moscow and Naples lately too. I read somewhere that in Naples in the past 2 years there were a couple of hundred murders, since the drug wars started there.
Moscow has a murder rate about that of LA.
The rest of Europe is not really dangerous, i agree.

Faciulina
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Faciulina » May 19th, 2008, 10:35 am

the whole south italy is controlled by the mafia, even the homicide rate depends on the mafia situation there, you can't compare south italian cities to other european cities... there are not independent gangs there, the ghetto's are controlled by the mafia, there is not the anarchy of the paris banlieus for example and even scampia that is the worst european neighbourhood is under camorra control

Carmelo_Sicily
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Carmelo_Sicily » May 19th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Faciulina wrote:the whole south italy is controlled by the mafia, even the homicide rate depends on the mafia situation there, you can't compare south italian cities to other european cities... there are not independent gangs there, the ghetto's are controlled by the mafia, there is not the anarchy of the paris banlieus for example and even scampia that is the worst european neighbourhood is under camorra control

All the murders are linked to the drug trade in Baltimore..I kid you not.

Faciulina
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Faciulina » May 19th, 2008, 5:00 pm

the murders linked to the drug trade in baltimora are done all by a single organization or by dozens gangs fight each others?

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 20th, 2008, 10:16 am

Scampia is not the worst neighbourhood in europe.

Faciulina
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Faciulina » May 20th, 2008, 3:36 pm

i don't know all the european ghetto's but scampia is far the worst, full of trash (like the whole naples), 100 murders per 100.000 inhabitants, 70% of unemployement, totally dominated by the camorra, do you know an european neighbourhood worst than scampia?

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 21st, 2008, 9:50 am

Look at some of the neighbourhoods in the eastern bloc.

Faciulina
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Faciulina » May 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm

i was in skopje, beograd, moscow, bucharest, of course i can't know all the east european ghetto's, but i have never seen a place like scampia or even like naples, it's enough to see the central zone of naples to imagine easily what the suburbs are, full of trash, even the african cities seem clean compared to naples although they are by far the poorest, if you go just one in naples you fell it

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » May 22nd, 2008, 8:48 am

Faciulina wrote:i was in skopje, beograd, moscow, bucharest, of course i can't know all the east european ghetto's, but i have never seen a place like scampia or even like naples
Next time travel with your eyes open ;)

Faciulina
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Faciulina » May 22nd, 2008, 9:26 am

i had my eyes well opened, at least the centre of that cities is clean, naples is full of trash even in the centre, just go to naples once and told me if i was right or wrong :lol: :lol:

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » May 22nd, 2008, 9:41 am

I've been in Naples twice. But if you're really looking for a worst neighbourhood in Europe, you don't find those from the city centres.

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 22nd, 2008, 10:04 am

Naples is fine, you can easily walk around without fear of anything, i was walking in one of the mafia hotspot areas, i didnt even know this until somebody told me. Its just like your average city. But maybe with a bit more organized crime.