Who's Brown?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Who's Brown?

Unread post by Silencioso » June 24th, 2004, 3:10 pm

Growing up, brown meant Chicano/Mexican. Now I hear alot of Arabs and othe mid easterners using the term for themselves. Is that right?

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Who's Brown?

Unread post by NYorker » June 28th, 2004, 7:44 am

Silencioso wrote:Growing up, brown meant Chicano/Mexican. Now I hear alot of Arabs and othe mid easterners using the term for themselves. Is that right?
That's true at least where I am from. I consider and refer to myself as brown and I think most blacks should refer to themselves that way as well. Most blacks are truly brown in color as well as hispanics arabs etc.

holyshit
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by holyshit » June 28th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Arabs are caucasoid, their genes most resemble whites out of all other races.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » June 28th, 2004, 7:12 pm

holyshit wrote:Arabs are caucasoid, their genes most resemble whites out of all other races.
Hey Holyshit.....that would depend on which Arabs you are talking about. Saudi's genes are closest to the Ethiopian's genes. Secondly you are better off being more accurate and say that most whites genes resemble the Arab's genes...Arabs preceded the whites in civilization.

MrYayo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MrYayo » June 28th, 2004, 11:14 pm

Well im samoan and brown.i dont be saying stuff like "Brown Pride"
i respresent my race and my culture not my skin color.
dont get me wrong"the darker the skin the deeper the roots"

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » June 30th, 2004, 10:22 pm

"Saudi's genes are closest to the Ethiopian's genes."

Lol, you know Saudi Arabia was basically a politically drawn country to awards the House of Saud for their help in defeating the Ottoman's in WWI, right?

It might suprise you to know that Ethiopians have been shown to be 40% Caucasoid.

Also, can you provide a single shred of evidence to back up this claim of Saudis being geneticly similar to Ethiopians?

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 1st, 2004, 8:47 am

Invincible wrote:"Saudi's genes are closest to the Ethiopian's genes."

Lol, you know Saudi Arabia was basically a politically drawn country to awards the House of Saud for their help in defeating the Ottoman's in WWI, right?

It might suprise you to know that Ethiopians have been shown to be 40% Caucasoid.

Also, can you provide a single shred of evidence to back up this claim of Saudis being geneticly similar to Ethiopians?
Hey Invincible! LOL remember that link that YOU gave on "the illussion of race" or something like that from National Geographic? They were talking about genetic diversity and they gave a test..well go take it! Not the ones with the pics of people but after that, and you will see it.
No it doesn't surprise me about the Ethiopians but I'd like to see where you got your information regarding the percentage.
What is you dividing line and definition of Caucasoid? Where is the dividing line between white and black. A black guy that has caucasoid features is a caucasian? A white guy with negroid features is actually a negroid person? When you really think about it....it's really a "gray" area.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » August 4th, 2004, 12:57 am

BROWN I NEVER GOT IT, MEXICANS WEARING BROWN PRIDE SHIRTS AND THEY BROWN SHIRTS ARE DARKER THAN I AM AND IM A BROWN SKINNED BLACK MALE I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD ALL THEMSELVES BAIGE NOT BROWN CAUSE IT AINT WHAT THEY IS F THEY REFEERING TO SKIN COLOR YA KNOW

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » August 4th, 2004, 4:41 am

im brown.. but that's just my sun tan :) hahah

somalians acctually are more related to europeans than to africa..

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » August 4th, 2004, 8:14 am

NYorker wrote:
Silencioso wrote:Growing up, brown meant Chicano/Mexican. Now I hear alot of Arabs and othe mid easterners using the term for themselves. Is that right?
That's true at least where I am from. I consider and refer to myself as brown and I think most blacks should refer to themselves that way as well. Most blacks are truly brown in color as well as hispanics arabs etc.
*Truth be told, black folks were the first to call themselves "brown" before mexicans did, in the middle half of the twentieth century. Remember, was it not Joe Louis, who during the 30's and 40's, referred to himself as the "Brown Bomber?"

Lastly, I don't see anything wrong with black folks using the term "black", because despite many black folks being truly "brown", the term "black", in and of itself, has a much deeper meaning, other than skin color...

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » August 4th, 2004, 8:16 am

Valsta_loco wrote:im brown.. but that's just my sun tan :) hahah

*That is false racial propaganda, trying to divide black peoples of the african diaspora and continent. Somalians, despite their features, or racial admixture, are still a black people.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » August 4th, 2004, 10:56 am

Valsta_loco wrote:im brown.. but that's just my sun tan :) hahah

Hey Valsta...I don't know what they teach you in Stockholm but check this link out.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?f ... ID+so0013)

Shortty
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Shortty » August 5th, 2004, 2:43 pm

Okay let me break it down for those ignorant "brown" people:

There is no such race as "brown", its some stupid term used by some minorities to show that they are "not" white, but rather 'closer' to the black people. Hispanic, Arab, Indian are all Causcasion by definition, and blacks are Negoirds....

Huh, Somalis/ethopians are not like other african countries. They are from a different ethnic group called Cushtii, and they have lighter skin, very soft hair, etc...

BABY_LOCS
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BABY_LOCS » August 15th, 2004, 12:26 pm

^^ IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE SOMEONEZ BEIN A SMARTAZZ

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 15th, 2004, 12:34 pm

Shortty wrote: Huh, Somalis/ethopians are not like other african countries. They are from a different ethnic group called Cushtii, and they have lighter skin, very soft hair, etc...
And what does that mean????

They are still Africans.

BABY_LOCS
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BABY_LOCS » August 15th, 2004, 12:46 pm

Shortty wrote:Okay let me break it down for those ignorant "brown" people:
There is no such race as "brown", its some stupid term used by some minorities to show that they are "not" white, but rather 'closer' to the black people.
LET ME TEACH YOU SOME BROWN KNOWLEDGE, GAVACHO..BROWN IS SIMPLY A TERM THAT WE HISPANICS USE TO IDENTIFY OURSELVES AS SO AFRICAN-AMERICANS USE THE WORD BLACK..NOW WHOSE REALLY THE IGNORANT ONE SHORTTY? IF YOU DIDNT KNOW NOW YOU KNOW.

Shortty
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Shortty » August 20th, 2004, 6:26 pm

You can use brown to mean a mexican, but thats not your race. Thats your culture... Caucasion is the race of mexicans....
And what does that mean????

They are still Africans.
They dont consider themselves "100%" black, they call themselves a mix of arab and african, and consider themselves entirely different...

L.E..
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LAKE ELSINORE

Unread post by L.E.. » August 20th, 2004, 11:40 pm

MrYayo wrote:Well im samoan and brown.i dont be saying stuff like "Brown Pride"
i respresent my race and my culture not my skin color.
dont get me wrong"the darker the skin the deeper the roots"
word but im hawaiian

562_HOMIE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 562_HOMIE » August 21st, 2004, 3:49 pm

Original Mexican Natives were brown but when the spanish came to Mexico it mixed it all up. Bein brown is still more in our roots than spaniard because of so many decades of history. That's why we say Brown Pride because of were we originally come from. Its like African Americans, so many of them are mixed w/ white but you still call yourselves black w/out considerin how much white blood you have in you.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » August 21st, 2004, 4:06 pm

^^^

That's exactly how I feel about it. Brown represents indiginous roots.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » August 23rd, 2004, 10:10 am

filipinos are brown. the term barely isnt used anymore due to a pinoy's lack of history of his/her race. brown was used for filipinos by the whites mostly during world war II. when signs said "WHITE ONLY" - in california signs used say "NO BLACKS OR BROWNS". this used to refer to the heavy influx of filipinos before and after world war I. during world war II, general douglas macurthur in a fight to get the PI back from invading japan, coined the phrase, "the filiponos are our brown little brothers, helping us in this war."

however, there are many filipinos, like many hispanics who have heavy spanish blood in them, which is why some people trip on how many filipinos have spanish surnames...it's the same with the mexicans - those who are of indigenous roots tend to be of a darker/brown color.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » August 26th, 2004, 3:43 pm

Y SAWHY SAY BROWN WE WERE THE FIRST PEOPLE TO BE COLORED WE WERE CALLED COLORED, NEGRO, BLACK, AND NOW AFRICAN AMERICAN. WHY NOT CALL YOURSELVES NATIVE AMERICAN OR JUST MEXICAN AFTER ALL ALL WHITES GAVE YALL THAT NAME TO DISTINGUISH THEM FROM YALL BLACK WAS ALREADY GIVEN TO US THEY COULD HAVE CALLED US BROWN TO AS MOST AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE DIFFERERNT BROWNED SKINNED IN COMPLEXIONS.

AND I KNOW THAT A LOT OF US IF NOT ALL BLACK AMERICANS EXCLUDING IMMIGRANTS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE EITHER WHITE AMERICAN OR EUROPEAN ANCESTORS SO WHAT!

YOU SAY BEFORE THE SPANISH CAME THE INDIANS WERE BROWN HOW BROWN WERE THEY? NATIVE AMERICANS ARE REFERED TO AS THE RED PEOPLE NOT BROWN BROWN IS A NAME THAT WAS THROWN AT YOU BY WESTCAOST WHITES BEIGE AND BROWN ARE TO DIFFERENT COLORS IF THE INDIANS WERE THAT DARK BROWN WHY DO MEXICANS HAVE HATE TOWARDS DARKER SKINNED PEOPLE AND THE INDIGENOUS PPL ARE PROBABLY DARK AS DEM?

MAINLY I HEAR MEX SAY THEY ARE BROWN CAUSE OF THEIR COLOR?
I CAN SAY IM BROWN TOO BUT I AINT MEXICAN IM BLACK DESCRIBING MY COLOR

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » September 9th, 2004, 6:29 pm

BROWN HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH COLOR OF SKIN ACTUALLY............THO IT SHOULD

IT REFERS TO THOSE OF US WHO ARE OF SOUTH, CENTRAL, OR NATIVE CARIB DECENT

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » September 9th, 2004, 6:32 pm

THERE'S BLACK, WHITE, RED, YELLOW,....ETC
THIS IS A WAY OF IDENTIFIYING OURSELVES. BROWN PRIDE MEANS SOMETHING. REMINDS US OF OUR ANCESTRY.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » November 11th, 2007, 12:39 pm

100 wrote:BROWN I NEVER GOT IT, MEXICANS WEARING BROWN PRIDE SHIRTS AND THEY BROWN SHIRTS ARE DARKER THAN I AM AND IM A BROWN SKINNED BLACK MALE I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD ALL THEMSELVES BAIGE NOT BROWN CAUSE IT AINT WHAT THEY IS F THEY REFEERING TO SKIN COLOR YA KNOW
Brown is a metaphore, should white people call themselves peach color?

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » November 25th, 2007, 10:29 pm

^^^^thats what im saying...
Growing up, brown meant Chicano/Mexican. Now I hear alot of Arabs and othe mid easterners using the term for themselves. Is that right?
arabs aint brown, they RED, asians r "yellow", africans "black" and caucasians "white".... :roll:

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » November 26th, 2007, 12:18 am

Native Americans are "red"

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » November 26th, 2007, 12:52 pm

Arabs are one of the groups now claiming "brown". I've heard that Arabs identify as red in some parts of North Africa and also white. Color names for ethnic groups is pretty ridiculous. People should just say what they are - Mexican, Irish, Filipino etc.k

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » November 26th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Silencioso wrote:Color names for ethnic groups is pretty ridiculous.
Yup. How the fvck am I "yellow"?

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » November 26th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Silencioso wrote:^^^

That's exactly how I feel about it. Brown represents indiginous roots.
not if youre in europe

pistolslanga
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by pistolslanga » November 26th, 2007, 8:44 pm

most arab's are light skinned, your mistaking arabs with pakistani's, who are usually light brown or dark brown.

hamo_uce
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by hamo_uce » January 10th, 2008, 8:04 pm

SAMOAN 100% 4 LYFE........ STAY bROWN ma POLYNESIAN USO's ........... :lol: