Monrovia shootings

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Monrovia shootings

Unread post by alexalonso » January 30th, 2008, 2:49 am

Was watching channel 7 KABC news on 1/29/08 that had a live story about a racial shooting on Almond Avenue. A black 19 year old was gunned down and killed by hispanics in Monrovia. Earlier this month, a Hispanic girl was shot, and then a Black senior was shot, and apparently there have been several racially charged shootings.

The news reported that there was a black gang involved in the shooting from Monrovia. I am not aware of any black gang in Monrovia,and I wonder if they are talking about the Du Roc Crips that are across the way in Duarte.

Whats going on in Monrovia.?

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » January 30th, 2008, 6:25 am

DuRoc is based in Monrovia and Duarte. Part of Monrovia is in the Low End which is the county area that the media for some reason calls No Mans land no one else has or does call it that. Back in the day it use to be as many or more Crips in Monrovia than Duarte. High End DuRocs is the ones based out of Monrovia. The whole area (Duarte and Monrovia) was dry for awhile in the late 90's when the police cracked down but it has always originally been more Crips than eses in Monrovia until the demographic changes.

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » January 30th, 2008, 6:32 am

MONROVIA SHOOTINGS
Officers sweep area in response to violence
By Kenneth Todd Ruiz and Molly R. Okeon, Staff Writers
Article Launched: 01/29/2008 11:02:04 PM PST

Monrovia shootings
Monrovia Shootings special section

Frank Girardot's Crime Scene blog
• Video: Residents react to shooting
• Photo Gallery: Monrovia shooting
• Visit our special section: Monrovia shootings
MONROVIA - Police struck back hard Tuesday against deadly black and Latino gang warfare in Monrovia, arresting a murder suspect, raiding a home and searching for clues at the scene where two girls were gunned down by gang members Saturday. Foothills Special Enforcement Team officers, armed with assault rifles and backed by sheriff's deputies and Monrovia and Duarte police officers late Tuesday surrounded a home at 1234 Sherman Avenue in Monrovia, ordering residents on the street to stay indoors as they served a search warrant.

Several occupants of the home were being detained late Tuesday, but police had made no arrests as of 8:30 p.m., officials said.

The house was where 64-year-old Sanders "Pete" Rollins - who police say had no gang ties - was shot to death Jan. 13 as he walked to his front door, part of what authorities say has been a back-and-forth cycle of retaliation between Latino and black gang members that has left at least two dead and two seriously wounded over the past three weeks. Officials were searching for evidence linked to a Jan. 14 drive-by shooting in the 200 block of West Cypress Avenue.

Earlier Tuesday, sheriff's officials arrested 19-year-old Jimmy Santana of Duarte as the suspect in the shooting a 16-year-old boy Jan. 12 in the 2500 block of Peck Road in unincorporated Monrovia. The boy's kidney and spleen were destroyed by bullets, leaving him paralyzed, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Detective Scott Schulze said.

That shooting occurred near an apartment building where two black males, believed by police to be gang members, shot two 16-year-old Latina girls about 8:30 p.m. Saturday in the 2500 block of Peck Road, killing Sammantha Alexis Salas.

Tuesday morning, three special enforcement teams and several deputies swept through the unincorporated neighborhood. Authorities blocked off the area in front of the apartment building as a contingent of 10 investigators searched the scene for evidence.

Some investigators crouched on their hands and knees, while others combed the lawn, sidewalk and street with metal detectors used a ladder mark where bullets entered the building. Officials found a slug across the street.

Gang violence has been mostly concentrated in an unincorporated area between Arcadia, Duarte and Monrovia known as "No Man's Land." But in recent weeks, increasing racial enmity between black and Latino gang members has pushed the mayhem to a new, senseless level, authorities said.

"It has completely degraded into a race war," said Sgt. Richard Westin of the sheriff's Operation Safe Streets gang unit. "It's not just about being a gang member anymore."

Commenting on the situation Tuesday, Sheriff Lee Baca said he ordered beefed up patrols in the area and his department was working closely with local city officials to end the shootings.

"When you examine the 16-year-old boy who was shot and the two Hispanic girls, it's clear that the insanity has reached a level that is hard to comprehend," he said. "It's reached this level of wanton behavior where anyone is subject to being a victim."

Neither Salas nor the wounded girl were involved in gangs, Baca said. Westin said the shooting was not motivated by drugs or territory, just malice.

"They wanted to shoot her so bad, they walked up to her and shot her several times," he said.

In a disturbing new trend, Westin said Latino children have told investigators they are being forced to "dress like gang members just to appear there are more Latino gang members than there are blacks."

The Duroc Crips have called No Man's Land home for three decades. Since the 1980s, they have battled Latino gang members, but sheriff's investigators believe the latest flare up has pitted the black gang against the Monrovia Nuevo Barrio and Duarte Eastside gangs.

"Before it may have been racially motivated, but at least they were shooting other gang members," Westin said. "That may sound callous, but if they're gang members, then they know what they're in for."

So far both sides have taken a near-equal toll, he added.

"If you took the number of blacks who've been shot, and the number of Hispanics who've been shot, it's almost dead even," he said.

But the violence has left residents on edge.

Flaro Solis, 75, was reading her Bible on Saturday night when a bullet crashed through her bedroom window, her daughter, Rachel Tapia, 38, said.

"She's so scared, she's sleeping on the kitchen floor. She doesn't want to go into her room," she said.

Mother and daughter live in the apartment building where Salas and her friend were shot.

She expressed the fear that many residents of the area have echoed, saying she and her family are planning to move. Neighbor Irene Wilson said she peered out of her window before going to sleep Saturday night and saw a dark-colored sport utility vehicle in front of her Graydon Avenue home.

"That's when I heard the pop-pop," she said.

Returning to her window, Wilson saw two men walk around the corner and then sprint to the vehicle before speeding off.

Bonnie Loveland has called her corner in the Mayflower Village neighborhood home for 59 years, but she's never seen the violence as intense as in recent weeks.

Wilson, Loveland and other neighbors said said they witnessed what they believed were drug sales at the apartment building.

Monrovia Mayor Rob Hammond said the police force in the city has been beefed up in response to the incident.

"We're doing the very best we can to help answer the questions that the community has and to assure them that there is plenty of manpower, there is plenty of money and there are plenty of resources to deal with this," he said.

Staff Writer Brian Day contributed to this story.

todd.ruiz@sgvn.com

North Star

Unread post by North Star » January 30th, 2008, 9:00 am

I stay right here in Monrovia and the black gang they were talking about was duroc, because thier are no other black hoods inside monrovia but the durocs. Monrovia is just a place where people are being caught slippin to tell the truth, because like myself i feel safe walking around these streets, this is not like compton or watts this is a middle class mixed community where its many whites. The boy who was just killed did not even stay at the house where he was shot, just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I know a few years back the monrovia 13 gang was kinda wild but the police hit they ass hard and vanished but now im hearing about this Mnb and it seems thier getting active with the durocs. Monrovia police are not even use to shit like this, these mothafuckaz are ticket cops but now they ass got real police work and they dont know what the fuck to do.

j-dizzle
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by j-dizzle » January 30th, 2008, 10:04 am

i love you bruizer R.I.P.

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » January 31st, 2008, 12:36 am

Shooting older black men and shooting 16yr old women. That's chicken shit right there. Suckas!! Some sorry excuse for gangsters thats for sure.

abc543@
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by abc543@ » February 11th, 2008, 12:37 am

i seen this on the news

UrTattooArtist25
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Riverside

Unread post by UrTattooArtist25 » February 11th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Nov. 17, 2007 – 19-year-old male checked into Methodist Hospital in Arcadia with two gunshot wounds. That evening, shots are fired at the residence of a gang member in the 200 block of E. Atara.

Nov. 18, 2007 – Two males shot in two drive-bys. The first in the 500 block of Los Angeles Avenue. The second at Shamrock and Walnut.

Dec. 12, 2007 – Hector Acosta, 24, shot to death outside a home in Duarte.

Dec. 26, 2007 – Shots fired from a car at a group of people standing on the sidewalk in the 500 block of Royal Oaks Drive. One man was hit three times.

Jan. 2 – Drive-by shooting in the 700 block of South Magnolia. No one injured.

Jan. 12 – A 16-year-old male shot and seriously wounded on Peck Road.

Jan. 13 – A drive-by shooting on Sherman Avenue left Sanders Rollins, 63, dead of gunshot wounds.

Jan. 14 – Several shots fired at two men standing on Cypress St. No one injured.

Jan. 26 – Samantha Salas, 16, killed and another 16-year-old female seriously wounded on Peck Road.

Jan. 19 – Brandon Lee, 19, killed by a drive-by shooting on Almond Avenue.

UrTattooArtist25
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Riverside

Unread post by UrTattooArtist25 » February 11th, 2008, 4:13 pm

.. I was in Duarte this weekend

.. was taking a walk over in the high end off on central by Mt Olive with my lil cousin, two black foo's rolled up in a brownish gold camry, threathenin to shoot my ass, even after I told them I didnt bang, they took off and called me a "pussy ass cheesy who wasnt down 4 his shit....." im pretty sure they were Du Rocs..

this dosent happen that often to me, at least not in a while..i dont know whats going on...maybe things are just getting hot right now

junta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by junta » February 14th, 2008, 9:50 pm

North Star wrote:I stay right here in Monrovia and the black gang they were talking about was duroc, because thier are no other black hoods inside monrovia but the durocs. Monrovia is just a place where people are being caught slippin to tell the truth, because like myself i feel safe walking around these streets, this is not like compton or watts this is a middle class mixed community where its many whites. The boy who was just killed did not even stay at the house where he was shot, just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I know a few years back the monrovia 13 gang was kinda wild but the police hit they ass hard and vanished but now im hearing about this Mnb and it seems thier getting active with the durocs. Monrovia police are not even use to shit like this, these mothafuckaz are ticket cops but now they ass got real police work and they dont know what the fu-- to do.
Boy, do I like that post North Star. It would be nice if these cops go hard with these shithead gangs in the inner city of LA, regardless of color.

Marching Soljah

Unread post by Marching Soljah » February 15th, 2008, 1:24 am

I lived in Monrovia for 10 years before moving to San Bernardino, there was always Black vs Hispanic shit going down especially every friday night when they had the street fair.

destinyryder28

tell the truth

Unread post by destinyryder28 » February 15th, 2008, 3:31 pm

First and for most I would like say rest peace to all those that lost their lives cause i'm not going choose sides. I know cats on both sides of this fight and both have good and bad within their ranks. I will say this out here and know ,I don't live in Monrovia but live in the next town over. However at one time I played ,worked and lived part time in the city & have family that attends Monrovia high so don't think I don't goes down. Here is my take on why alot people are worried out about the stuff going down in M town as those in area call it. Sorry to say it this way but all those that live in city know I am speaking truth. Money is at the root of the problem for all parties involved including the city officials. For years city officials have kept their dirty laudary persay under reaps.... there is alot to hide too. This keep the all american city image up. Which allowed the money to role in from hollywood pictures shoot on the downtown strip and alot other things. For example Firday after next the recored store sceens were shoot in monrovia. The city has tried to elimate what they call blith in the entire city. This means to the trained eye any things that attracts minortitys in large numbers to the area. If u spent any really time in Monrovia you know that image is so fair from truth. the reason it made news this time is one of the family's must have said enough and called the news themselves. The city does what ever needs to be down to keep wide public knowledge of the problems that go on in the city surpressed. what lonestar I think that was their name said was right on. As too the gang stuff word on the street is that most of the new conflict is youngsters starting stuff and the vets have clean up their mess. From what I hear from the streets alot of the statements made by cops about on of the victums is suspect. The one i'm talking about is Brandon lee, if the cops can say that he or any of the others were involved was gang member then dicredits their death ; at the same time vidicates them. Since I know how the local police feel about both groups involved. I challange any one to look at the raceal mix those doing the investigation. I bet you find that most of the cops are white. I only know of one black cope on the forces and I think maybe three hispanics.which means they don't care about soleving the case they just want to clean up the trash and get ride of it. Also mnv and east siders have teamed up to get ride their comman enemy Dur roc. Then they will go back to their fuide with each other those how know of the two groups know they hate each other & at one time more then they hated dur rock. There is alot more I could share but I will not due to personal reasons. Alonso if you want know about some of the city inner working as it relates enviorment hit me up. I would be more happy share with you the report I did for a class I took in substances abuse. which you know goes hand in hand with gangs.

North Star

Unread post by North Star » March 6th, 2008, 10:48 am

Destintryder damn thats some real ass shit!!!! the connection with the movie shit i never even thought of!!! now it makes perfect since as to why the mayor has eleminated movie production within the city. You never see a movie being filmed in monrovia no more. I remeber when i first moved here in 99 thier was a movie being made every damn day!!!!. Your right they dont want to solve the muderds, they want to stop the crime wave though, and shit you cant walk the street without seeing undercovers,sherrifs, task force these mothafuckaz are out and they are letting people know. Right now monrovia is doing MAJOR developing in the city, we have the new Colorado Commons which has a eastcoast look to them which are going for 500,000. The new foothill goldline whatever is underway, most of the empty lots are being built with new buildings for corporate companies. Damn you just opened my eyes dogg, thier is no way they are gonna let another crime wave go down or atleast get it to the media, its MAAAAAAAD MONEY this city is getting ready to make.

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jboogie » March 26th, 2008, 3:06 pm

Yeah it definitly looks like its getting heated in Duarte/Monrovia. I was hanging with my cousin who lives in Duarte, we passed by the apartments right next to the 210/605 freeways and saw a couple of people all blued up keeping look out or something, we also saw some cops patrolling down across the street. Then when we went to eat on the Duarte/Monrovia border, we saw some more blued up folks on the bus stop. On our way back home we saw 3 more cop cars just patrolling around, police presence is starting to kick up out there.

nrdogg

Unread post by nrdogg » April 16th, 2008, 10:15 am

I met some of the homies from monrovia and what was funny was that alot of the gang members in both black and Chicano gangs is that they know each other. I seen the Chicano talking to the black gang members and he told me that they all grew up togethor, played little league sports and went to high school togethor. What probably happened was a "Big Homie" came home or a homie who is trying to make a name for himself and get his neighborhood in-line and is trying to clean up his territory. Monrovia's Chicano gang is not very respected since they have another gang in their neighborhood which is black and also because alot of them talk black, some dress black and act black. Amongst other Chicano gangs that stuff is out, the most respected neighborhoods under the 13 umbrella throughout Southern Cali keep blacks on the run.

fresh88
What city do you live in now?: Las Vegas

Re: Monrovia shootings

Unread post by fresh88 » August 31st, 2008, 5:19 pm

I have live a in the SGV in since i can remember... I knew brandon very well, i am very close to his family. Just like Everybody wen their young you run with the hood your familys from but my nigga had long ago let the gangbangin go, he never carried a burner and was attendin the Jr college near by. him and his brother are very respected by both blacks and hispanics in the neighborhood. the fools that ran up on him were sum youngsters tryna make a name for them self but ended fuccin with the wrong one. not to mention the shot my nigga in the BACK!!
all in all this drama has be goin on since i can remember in M-town and duarte. we kno if your out and about u gotta watch ur self cuz it only takes sumone to recognize you and your running through the streets and hoping over fences tryna duck shots. this is nothing new but one thing has changed is that wen i was running the street we used to catch fades fist to fist now these lil niggas is running around shooting and not looking!!! I kno niggas from Hi End And Lo ENd this is just personal experience.

RIP Bruzier and L3

dmills
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dmills » September 5th, 2008, 8:21 pm

fresh88 wrote:I have live a in the SGV in since i can remember... I knew brandon very well, i am very close to his family. Just like Everybody wen their young you run with the hood your familys from but my nigga had long ago let the gangbangin go, he never carried a burner and was attendin the Jr college near by. him and his brother are very respected by both blacks and hispanics in the neighborhood. the fools that ran up on him were sum youngsters tryna make a name for them self but ended fuccin with the wrong one. not to mention the shot my nigga in the BACK!!
all in all this drama has be goin on since i can remember in M-town and duarte. we kno if your out and about u gotta watch ur self because it only takes sumone to recognize you and your running through the streets and hoping over fences tryna duck shots. this is nothing new but one thing has changed is that wen i was running the street we used to catch fades fist to fist now these lil niggas is running around shooting and not looking!!! I kno niggas from Hi End And Lo ENd this is just personal experience.

RIP Bruzier and L3
I lived there for 4 years. My mother moved me out there from Pasadena in 94-95 because Muir high school was horrible at the time. When I went to Monrovia High one of the things that I remember was how much everyone got along. That shit was like some high school movie. Blacks kicked it with Whites and Mexicans, they dated each others women and everything. It's a small town and everyone's business gets out really fast. The only violence was a few fights on the weekend. Never any gun play. Who ever is responsible for these shootings aren't from Monrovia. The Monrovia ese's are getting back up from other sgv barrios.

angfsgv
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Glendora

Re:

Unread post by angfsgv » August 29th, 2017, 3:21 pm

[quote="UrTattooArtist25"].. I was in Duarte this weekend

.. was taking a walk over in the high end off on central by Mt Olive with my lil cousin, two black foo's rolled up in a brownish gold camry, threathenin to shoot my ass, even after I told them I didnt bang, they took off and called me a "pussy ass cheesy who wasnt down 4 his shit....." im pretty sure they were Du Rocs..

this dosent happen that often to me, at least not in a while..i dont know whats going on...maybe things are just getting hot right now[/quote]

The High End is in Monrovia, mainly between the 210 and Huntington, though Almond Blocc is between Huntington and Colorado east of California. They share those areas with MNV, who claim everything south of Foothill and west of Shamrock (because of the redevelopment since the 80s only the areas south of Huntington and the Almond Blocc area still look "hood", while all of Duarte Eastside's territory and low end Du Roc has the "hood" feel). Central and Mount Olive is the center of Duarte Eastside's second hood, as their graffiti was carved into the sign of the apartments on Huntington and Mount Olive, and the lot where a liquor store used to be has had Duarte Eastside graffiti on it at times. Duarte Eastside claims all of incorporated Duarte south of the 210, as well as the area between Bradbourne, Huntington, Central, and Las Lomas. West of Mountain south of Duarte Road is the Low End Du Roc, which goes all the way to Peck Road. The three rivals so close to each other is why the area was a warzone and now under an injunction (outside of incorporated Duarte).

OziHomie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Florida
What city do you live in now?: Sydney

Unread post by OziHomie » December 28th, 2017, 11:12 am

i hope im not outa line in speaking on this issue ... yes i am an ozzie BUT my old man was one of the founders of italys red brigade and was better known as the monster of milan, he burnt the siemans and pirelli buildings and served time for it.. you can google that too .. so i think i got something to offer up on this issue .. for those who dont know red brigades.. they committed over 20,000 violent acts in italy in the late 60's into the 70's are probably still active though deep underground , they assasinated a president and attacked the heart of capitalism in italy and probably set america's drive into europe back a decade but inevitably capitalism swarmed over the top and not even hundreds of kneecappings of executives could stop the forces which are now known as globalisation .. and the reason we have gang explosions and dejected minorities... but here's my point ... mexicans and latinos got screwed over by the "system" lets call it the capitalist system which stole away lands and made them second class citizens... that same system had blacks as slaves for centuries and then also flung them into projects as second class citizens ... with this in mind.. if the latins and blacks now shoot each other doesnt that play into the very hands of those who fucked the both communities in the first place ??? with such powerful gang leaderships wouldnt it be smarter to stick together and build something together ??? i know the limitations caused by drugs - and i will be clear i dont touch drugs i dont even drink nor did my dad or any of his peeps .. so i get the economics behind these feuds .. turf wars to control drug distro and make bank .. i get that.. but if either the latin leaders or black leaders truly wanna get their communities out of the shitheap and on top of society wouldnt it be smarter to bind together rather than kill each other ... its the same as black on black crime ... its so pointless .. i guess i can say there isnt a vision for long term community development by gangs if this is what they continue to do over there .. and for the record.. italy has one of the lowest violent crime rates on earth and that's with a mafia.. i think gang leaders over there need to think about what a true hero is what a true legend is and what it means to be a true fighter ... coz in my humble opinion shooting each other dont make u courageous nor a hero nor a legend nor a fighter .. when u stand up for a cause and fight against the odds for a purprose for the greater good for all your struggling people .. only then are you a hero, legend and a true fighter...i hope someone steps up to the plate over there soon ... coz all this gang street violence and killings throughout south and north america is absolutely pointless !! u only feeding into the hands of the evilness who thrust violence upon you to begin with and you only subjegating your entire communities in perpetuity much to the chegrin of that evilness .. nothing good can come of it in the long term excep some very fine rappers and artists who are being touched deeply by what they experience and manage to put into an artform .. little else ...

BPG187
If in the United States: Florida
What city do you live in now?: Ad

Unread post by BPG187 » January 17th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Monrovia and Duarte was active for a cool ass minute in them days , it seems now the only cats in Duarte and Monrovia are taggers like EMS and Slowones can’t forget LTG but I don’t think they around anymore . Durocc on the other hand though is active they putting hella work in on the Lanes, but as far as the Duarte and Monrovia barrios, shit seems non existent now a days it’s almost like all that shit was never there