Thieves Stealing Manhole Covers To Scrap For Cash

Discuss gangs in the Northeast section of the US in the following states; Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island & Vermont.
A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 11th, 2008, 10:08 pm

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.a ... ryid=57739

Thieves set out in the night to the mostly deserted streets of the Love Canal Neighborhood in Niagara Falls, New York.

Their quarry: Manhole Covers.

The theft of manhole covers is a phenomenon being experienced across the United States, driven by a boom in the recycled metals market in developing nations like China.

An entire ring of thieves was recently busted up in the Atlanta, Georgia area.

Though certainly not as prevalent here, Niagara Falls Water Board Director Gerry Grose confirms the theft of seven manhole covers in the Love Canal Neighborhood in the past couple of weeks.

While the manhole covers made of cast iron can fetch up to $20 dollars each in some parts of the nation, one Niagara Falls scrap metal dealer says they're only worth $8-10 in these parts.

The Niagara Falls Water Board was able to quickly replace the ones purloined thus far with spares, but Grose says they've just about run out of the extras they have on hand and will likely have to purchase new ones.

What nets thieves a few bucks can cost municipalities --and therefore taxpayers-- approximately $100 to replace.

However, the public safety aspect is the greater concern. The wheel of a vehicle passing over an uncovered manhole can be torn off, while an unsuspecting pedestrian can be seriously injured or killed by falling down a manhole.

atm//TONE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Orange COUNTY

Unread post by atm//TONE » May 13th, 2008, 5:04 pm

the ninja turtles goin to be pissed
man mufukas is crazy tho i remember like lass year they were talkin bout ppl stealing copper tubing and wires out of air conditioners

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 13th, 2008, 6:03 pm

atm//TONE wrote:the ninja turtles goin to be pissed
man mufukas is crazy tho i remember like lass year they were talkin bout ppl stealing copper tubing and wires out of air conditioners
They steal the copper pipes from abandoned homes too. The problem is some of those home are apartments and when they steal the pipes the water lines burst and the people living in the part that is NOT abandoned lose all their water and have water damage.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 13th, 2008, 6:05 pm

-you can also make a killin off of left over brake pads from behind car stores

-aluminum gets you more money then tin, and copper is where its at

-dpending on the amount of additives in stainless steel like chromium you can make a killin off of that too

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 14th, 2008, 9:16 am

Copper nets you a ton of cash right now. Any little bit of copper we have left over from heating and plumbing jobs we keep locked up in our parts area. You leave it out back and the homeless are on that stuff stupid fast. Manhole covers for their size, weight and the sheer amount of work it takes to move them are such a waste of time. Some people are just stupid. Copper is smaller, lighter and only takes one person to swipe it from old homes and abandoned warehouses. Manhole covers are super dangerous to be stealing as well. Never mind the cars that drive over those holes, when people walk over those and don't realize it, thats a good 20 foot drop straight down. Not cool.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » May 14th, 2008, 9:51 am

It happens over here too.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » May 14th, 2008, 11:21 am

yeah copper is hot right now. MFs are also sawin off manifolds from SUVs.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » May 14th, 2008, 4:15 pm

I heard about this. Apparently the price of non-precious metals has gone way up. Construction sites, all sorts of places are being cannabilized of their non-precious metals by opportunists. They need some security now.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » May 15th, 2008, 8:38 pm

We just had that happening in NLB/the westside. Damn thats desperate

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 16th, 2008, 2:11 am

Thieves steal 3 miles of a railroad track

Thieves have dismantled and carted away some 3 miles of disused rail track close to the German town of Weimar.

The railway operator said the thieves would probably sell the tracks as scrap metal with the damage amounting to at least 200,000 euros/$241,500.

Deutsche Bahn said it had noticed the missing track after the mayor of a town alongside the train line phoned in to check if the dismantling was planned.

"This was a major criminal operation, because you cannot simply take the tracks and carry them away," said a spokesman for the rail operator.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... Y-RAIL.xml

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 16th, 2008, 2:15 am

240,000 Manholes Stolen To Sell As Scrap Metal

China's capital is testing a new kind of manhole cover to put a lid on rampant theft, Xinhua news agency says.

Missing manhole covers are a hazardous fact of life on the sidewalks and roads of Beijing where they are stolen to be sold as scrap for a couple of dollars each...

Beijing has more than 600,000 manhole covers across the city owned by 18 companies. "Approximately 240,000 manhole and street- drain covers were stolen in Beijing in 2004," Xinhua said.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 16th, 2008, 11:23 am

shoot, Im about to go scrap my old grill.....

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » May 16th, 2008, 1:47 pm

In China that could mean most anything from a different design and different materials to getting all Vladislav III on them.. lol. Vlad "the impaler" was about as cruel and rutheless a ruler as has arisen but thievery was almost non-existent too. The crossroads in the city leading to his castle had a large solid gold utensil for drawing water out of the city worth a good deal and it sat there for years. It was never stolen.
Sentenza wrote:240,000 Manholes Stolen To Sell As Scrap Metal

China's capital is testing a new kind of manhole cover to put a lid on rampant theft, Xinhua news agency says.

Missing manhole covers are a hazardous fact of life on the sidewalks and roads of Beijing where they are stolen to be sold as scrap for a couple of dollars each...

Beijing has more than 600,000 manhole covers across the city owned by 18 companies. "Approximately 240,000 manhole and street- drain covers were stolen in Beijing in 2004," Xinhua said.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » May 16th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Sentenza wrote:Thieves steal 3 miles of a railroad track

Thieves have dismantled and carted away some 3 miles of disused rail track close to the German town of Weimar.

The railway operator said the thieves would probably sell the tracks as scrap metal with the damage amounting to at least 200,000 euros/$241,500.

Deutsche Bahn said it had noticed the missing track after the mayor of a town alongside the train line phoned in to check if the dismantling was planned.

"This was a major criminal operation, because you cannot simply take the tracks and carry them away," said a spokesman for the rail operator.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... Y-RAIL.xml
They dismantled an unused railroad track? Union workers are pissed because they were probably getting paid to do it and were too lazy to. Win one for the poor people. They just did government work for free! Let them have it I say. It's not like they carted off 3 miles of used railroad track. Now that'd be comedy gold.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 16th, 2008, 4:05 pm

lol its a tough job the scrap metal business, like stripping copper wiring when you have a garadge full of the shit lol

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » May 16th, 2008, 4:44 pm

how much would 5 pounds of copper sell for?

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » May 16th, 2008, 4:48 pm

this being my reason for asking

link

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 16th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Old Shatterhand wrote:In China that could mean most anything from a different design and different materials to getting all Vladislav III on them.. lol. Vlad "the impaler" was about as cruel and rutheless a ruler as has arisen but thievery was almost non-existent too. The crossroads in the city leading to his castle had a large solid gold utensil for drawing water out of the city worth a good deal and it sat there for years. It was never stolen.

Wasnt it him too, who put an apple made of gold in the middle of some city to prove that everyone fears him and wouldnt steal it? Maybe i am confusing something right now though...
But yea i read some stuff about that guy. Horror type stuff. No wonder that Dracula supposedly resembles him.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » May 16th, 2008, 5:37 pm

http://www.metalprices.com/FreeSite/metals/cu/cu.asp

its usually in highest to lowest

base metals

nickel
copper
lead
zinc

the precious ones are crazy

Platinum
Palladium
gold
silver

platiunum and palladium are by products of nickel mining and are very precious, there are small amounts in catalact converters in cars i think so good luck scrounging that shit up lol

heavy stainless steel like the kind from flattop at a restuarant will net some good coin lol.
i dont think cast iron will get you much, austenite is the steel i was tellin you about with maganese

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » May 19th, 2008, 8:25 am

I never heard of the golden apple but it wouldn't surprise me. I can tell you this, Vlad was so confident in his crime deterrence that he placed a golden cup in the central square of Tirgoviste. He informed his people that anyone could drink from the cup, but anyone who stole it would be punished appropriately. The solid gold cup was never stolen. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what would happen if you took it.

Sentenza wrote:
Old Shatterhand wrote:In China that could mean most anything from a different design and different materials to getting all Vladislav III on them.. lol. Vlad "the impaler" was about as cruel and rutheless a ruler as has arisen but thievery was almost non-existent too. The crossroads in the city leading to his castle had a large solid gold utensil for drawing water out of the city worth a good deal and it sat there for years. It was never stolen.

Wasnt it him too, who put an apple made of gold in the middle of some city to prove that everyone fears him and wouldnt steal it? Maybe i am confusing something right now though...
But yea i read some stuff about that guy. Horror type stuff. No wonder that Dracula supposedly resembles him.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » May 19th, 2008, 9:24 am

Old Shatterhand wrote:I never heard of the golden apple but it wouldn't surprise me. I can tell you this, Vlad was so confident in his crime deterrence that he placed a golden cup in the central square of Tirgoviste. He informed his people that anyone could drink from the cup, but anyone who stole it would be punished appropriately. The solid gold cup was never stolen. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what would happen if you took it.

Sentenza wrote:

Yea that was it then, a golden cup. I knew i was confusing something.

SpotRusherACE
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SpotRusherACE » June 2nd, 2008, 9:34 pm

WTF, must be meth-heads.
I had some meth heads annoying me today while I was at the corner store.
I was just relaxing all high in the parking lot an these 3 redneck motherfuckers walk by an are acting like fucking meth heads. I didn't have my gat on me an my homie was in the store so i couldnt roll the windows up.
This motherfucker comes up to me an his breath STANKS an that bitchass dude is begging for money from me saying hes lost with no money an shit with his friends. I ain't fuckin stupid dude, you got 3 teeth in your fucking head an your 54 years old with pimples.

I lied to the motherfucker an said I didn't have any cash. I had a couple hundred bucks. I was mad paranoid cause I was on that kush an had just seen a horror vid earlyer about some killer crazy ass hillbillies that ate people alive an shit an this motherfucker looked just like the dude off the vid. I never wanted my gun on me any more in my life than at that moment. :lol:

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » June 3rd, 2008, 1:14 pm

Meth's bad SpotRusherACE. Sounds like you clowning here but seriously tweakers smoking it, snorting it, injecting it I mean they just have to have it anyway they can get it. Some sell their own as_s for it. It's unbelievable what a drug like meth can do to a person or a poor town. That poison leaves tragedy in its wake everywhere it goes eventually and anyone who messes with it is a straight fool imo.
SpotRusherACE wrote:WTF, must be meth-heads.
I had some meth heads annoying me today while I was at the corner store.
I was just relaxing all high in the parking lot an these 3 redneck motherfuckers walk by an are acting like #%@&#%@ meth heads. I didn't have my gat on me an my homie was in the store so i couldnt roll the windows up.
This motherfucker comes up to me an his breath STANKS an that bitchass dude is begging for money from me saying hes lost with no money an shit with his friends. I ain't fuckin stupid dude, you got 3 teeth in your #%@&#%@ head an your 54 years old with pimples.

I lied to the motherfucker an said I didn't have any cash. I had a couple hundred bucks. I was mad paranoid cause I was on that kush an had just seen a horror vid earlyer about some killer crazy ass hillbillies that ate people alive an shit an this motherfucker looked just like the dude off the vid. I never wanted my gun on me any more in my life than at that moment. :lol: