Gangland: 18th Street on the History Channel

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Gangland: 18th Street on the History Channel

Unread post by alexalonso » April 30th, 2008, 12:04 pm

I didnt really like the History Channel's Gangland on the 18 Street gang. They made them out to be the most violent gang in Los Angeles, and exaggerated nearly everything you can about that gang.

This gang was explained as one large gang when it is actually a collections of several gangs in the US. They also exaggerated their reach to other cities and countries making it look like an organized network, when in actuallity it is a bunch of copycat gangs.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » April 30th, 2008, 3:46 pm

They did say 18 was a gang with different sets & some of them are organized. I think they also mentioned that they weren't always as organized & I remember someone considered them the most violent gang in LA, but there definately was exaggeration. Anyways Alonso, what's up with my VIP status? I used to be able to get into everything VIP & now I can't.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Re: Gangland: 18th Street on the History Channel

Unread post by Silencioso » April 30th, 2008, 6:44 pm

alexalonso wrote:I didnt really like the History Channel's Gangland on the 18 Street gang. They made them out to be the most violent gang in Los Angeles, and exaggerated nearly everything you can about that gang.

This gang was explained as one large gang when it is actually a collections of several gangs in the US. They also exaggerated their reach to other cities and countries making it look like an organized network, when in actuallity it is a bunch of copycat gangs.
It also implied that 18th was formed by non-Mexicans to combat Clantone 14. That's ridiculous. 18th was started by Mexican immigrant kids - mojados. Clantone were chicanos that looked down on paises. That was a big snobbery in the L.A. gang world once.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » May 5th, 2008, 9:22 pm

I believe that there were Chicanos and Stoners types that were involved with 18th Street in the 1960s and 1970s and most of these cats were citizens, not immigrant. But 18th Street was depicted as this super violent gang and thats just not the truth.

Ice
What city do you live in now?: SF

Unread post by Ice » May 25th, 2008, 1:53 pm

There's also a documentary on 18th st. gang in El Salvador, it's pretty good...I think there are 2 episodes out there, one about 18 on the streets and one about the gang in prison. I watched it on a channel called Viasat Explorer, I have no idea where else it could be seen though

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » May 26th, 2008, 11:50 am

They portrayed 18 for having a lot of violent acts done, because that's what they've gotten caught up with & 18 was known to wanna recruit non-Chicanos. They said it was started by non-Chicanos tho, huh? That's what it sounded like.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » May 27th, 2008, 12:01 pm

MMRbkaRudog wrote:They portrayed 18 for having a lot of violent acts done, because that's what they've gotten caught up with & 18 was known to wanna recruit non-Chicanos. They said it was started by non-Chicanos tho, huh? That's what it sounded like.
Yeah, they said that. It's BS. 18th was started by paises and mojados, Clanton was Chicanos.That was the difference.

GLS

Unread post by GLS » June 30th, 2008, 11:55 pm

They said that it wasnt a big thing...but it has it collections of gangs

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Riverside

Unread post by Vincetheprince » July 1st, 2008, 5:32 am

they made 18 st. look big in this documentary and they did the same thing with MS-13 saying they're "the most dangerous gang ever" and "they have over 100,000 members" and "they're in 42 states"