Glasgow more violent than New York

There has been an increase in gang and youth groups in many Western European cities that have seen an influx of immigrants. There is also a significant organized crime coming from Eastern Europe In this section discuss Austria [Österreich], Denmark [ Danmark], England, France [FRANSS], Finland, Germany [Deutschland], Greece [Ελληνική, Elliniki], Ireland, Italy [italiana], Netherlands [Nederland], Norway [Norge], Rossiyskaya], Scotland, Spain [España] Sweden [Sverige] and the UK including any place on the Western European continent.
Forum rules
Discuss anything about Western European street gangs and organized crime.
jamie1088

Glasgow more violent than New York

Unread post by jamie1088 » April 15th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Glasgow could learn lessons from New York about how to tackle crime, according to a report by an independent think tank.

The Reform Scotland report said there was now more violent crime per head of population in Glasgow than in New York.

It said crime figures from 2006-07 showed for every 100,000 people there were 731.39 incidents in Glasgow compared to 631.30 in New York.

It suggests following a zero tolerance policy like the American city.

The report told how New York had introduced a more accountable and transparent police service, combined with a zero tolerance approach to policing and it said that crime in the American city fell by 67% between 1993 and 2004.

The report stated: "The broad principles behind the reforms in New York City still offer a number of lessons for Scotland."

It added: "The best example of a change in policing structures leading to a dramatic fall in crime is the experience of New York City over the past 20 years.

"New York City proves that an increasing crime rate isn't inevitable and the tide can be turned."

Tory justice spokesman Bill Aitken said that "the thin blue line has been stretched to breaking point".

He added that was why his party had pushed for provisions for 1,000 extra police officers to be included in the Scottish budget and added: "The next task is to get as many of our police as possible out in our communities, deterring crime, catching criminals and reassuring the public."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 345538.stm

jamie1088

Unread post by jamie1088 » April 15th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Here is a video of what Glasgow looks like for all the Americans who thinks ghettos and projects are only over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aQN9p7a1lU

Glasgow is Ghetto!

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Glesga

Unread post by Jinky08 » April 15th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Start of the video was Ibrox, and towards the end was Barrowfield, the barrowfield part, them houses arent there anymore, the bus park for celtic park seperate the 2 different schemes in barrowfield, Torch and Spur.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » April 16th, 2008, 4:23 am

Where does it say that Glasgow is more violent than New York? That article talks about over all crime figures, not violent crime...

jamie1088

Unread post by jamie1088 » April 16th, 2008, 5:04 am

punamusta wrote:Where does it say that Glasgow is more violent than New York? That article talks about over all crime figures, not violent crime...
It says it here......[/b]The Reform Scotland report said there was now more violent crime per head of population in Glasgow than in New York.

It said crime figures from 2006-07 showed for every 100,000 people there were 731.39 incidents in Glasgow compared to 631.30 in New York. [/b]

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » April 16th, 2008, 5:12 am

jamie1088 wrote:
It says it here......[/b]The Reform Scotland report said there was now more violent crime per head of population in Glasgow than in New York.
Man, how could I missed that. Sorry. So apparently also Helsinki and couple of more cities from here are more violent than New York... Maybe I should star to rap and make some corny gangster videos, hahah!

Nah, these are still only statistics. I'm sure New York has way harder areas than Glasgow does.

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jinky08 » April 16th, 2008, 10:08 am

Were you from Jamie ?

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 28th, 2008, 7:12 am

punamusta wrote:
jamie1088 wrote:
Man, how could I missed that. Sorry. So apparently also Helsinki and couple of more cities from here are more violent than New York... Maybe I should star to rap and make some corny gangster videos, hahah!

Nah, these are still only statistics. I'm sure New York has way harder areas than Glasgow does.

I wouldnt bet on it. Glasgow is a lot poorer than NYC. Maybe some areas on NYC are harder but overall i bet Glasgow is a lot tougher.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 28th, 2008, 9:06 am

New York City is one of the safest big cities in America, so thats like saying "I beat the New York State Blind Cripple's Basketball team at the free throw contest."

Not hard to do.

Still though, American cities have the worst violent crime out of Europe (at least west of Chechnya), Canada and Australia.

New York had 427 murders in 2007 alone.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 28th, 2008, 9:13 am

punamusta wrote:
jamie1088 wrote:
I'm sure New York has way harder areas than Glasgow does.
Which is nothing to be proud of.

Here's a hypothetical situation.

Say city "A" (in this case Glascow) did end up with an extremely high homicide rate in a few years they blew every city in the 1st world out of the water. Why would that be something to gloat about. Unfortunately we as Americans do that a little too much. Its like we want to be the best at everything, even crime and homicide. That is such a messed up mentality. People who brag about it and talk it up like it's an NFL draft statistic have never been a victim of serious crime and most likely dont know anyone who has.

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jinky08 » May 28th, 2008, 2:50 pm

I think on average Glasgow gets early 100's odds murders a year, with a population of 600-700,000, maybe someone can check that up

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Glasgow more violent than New York

Unread post by A Ghost » May 28th, 2008, 5:15 pm

jamie1088 wrote:Glasgow could learn lessons from New York about how to tackle crime,
Not a good idea.

They can go for it, if the minority population in that city wants to get shot 50 times for pulling out a wallet.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » May 29th, 2008, 3:56 am

A Ghost wrote:
jamie1088 wrote:Glasgow could learn lessons from New York about how to tackle crime,
Not a good idea.

They can go for it, if the minority population in that city wants to get shot 50 times for pulling out a wallet.
I am not sure, but i think they dont even have a lot of minorities there, probably Pakistanis and Indians. But i am not sure, i have never been there, just drove through it once.

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » May 29th, 2008, 4:07 am

A Ghost wrote:
Not a good idea.

think everyone is a minority in new york now- and if you mean blacks, did 2 million blacks get shot 50 times!?!?!

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » May 29th, 2008, 4:08 am

Sentenza wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
Not a good idea.

I am not sure, but i think they dont even have a lot of minorities there, probably Pakistanis and Indians. But i am not sure, i have never been there, just drove through it once.

Aye, not a massive minority community, mainly of an indian sub continent nature

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 29th, 2008, 5:17 am

We all know American citys have the highest murder rates in the 1st world. But for some reason everyone seems to think that it makes them the most violent citys in the 1st world.

Zixx
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Zixx » May 29th, 2008, 5:18 am

Landskrona in sweden is more violent than new york, so im not really suprised. :wink:

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 29th, 2008, 5:20 am

A Ghost wrote:
Not a good idea.

But a good idea in the fact that it now doesnt have the crime rate of a city in the 3rd world

Jinky08
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Jinky08 » May 29th, 2008, 5:30 am

Theres Polish African Kosovan immagrants here usually staying up the high flats and working for very little money, no ethnic gangs though, all gangs in glasgow ar white.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 29th, 2008, 8:53 am

Sentenza wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
Not a good idea.

When I say "minority" I dont mean African-American, I mean whatever ethnicity is IN the minority of that country.

You said Pakistanis and Indians.

So that means there will be racial tension between the Pakistinians and police.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 29th, 2008, 8:59 am

thekinks1886 wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
Not a good idea.

think everyone is a minority in new york now- and if you mean blacks, did 2 million blacks get shot 50 times!?!?!
WHAT!?? LOL!! No.

New York city is 25% black, 49% white, 36% foreign born, 27% Hispanic and 10% Asian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... _York_City

As far as the 50 times Im talking about 2 known incidents where a black male was shot by the police when he was unarmed.

Bell and Diallo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadou_Diallo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Bell

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 29th, 2008, 9:01 am

9Caliber wrote:We all know American citys have the highest murder rates in the 1st world. But for some reason everyone seems to think that it makes them the most violent citys in the 1st world.
I consider someone who has lost most of their friends to homicide in a worse position than someone who keeps getting knocked out and robbed. So yeah.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 29th, 2008, 9:02 am

Zixx wrote:Landskrona in sweden is more violent than new york, so im not really suprised. :wink:
And you're proud?

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 29th, 2008, 10:04 am

A Ghost wrote:
9Caliber wrote:We all know American citys have the highest murder rates in the 1st world. But for some reason everyone seems to think that it makes them the most violent citys in the 1st world.
I consider someone who has lost most of their friends to homicide in a worse position than someone who keeps getting knocked out and robbed. So yeah.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, how many times!!! All it comes down to in america is your sky high "homicide rate"!

It doesnt mean its a violent country! Violence isnt just murder! what dont you understand?

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » May 29th, 2008, 10:08 am

9Caliber wrote:
A Ghost wrote:

Ahhhhhhhhhh, how many times!!! All it comes down to in america is your sky high "homicide rate"!

It doesnt mean its a violent country! Violence isnt just murder! what dont you understand?
yeah violence isn't just murder but I'd much rather get beat up and robbed then shot in the face and die.

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 29th, 2008, 10:32 am

The reason theyre saying that glasgow is more violent is because although it might not have a higher murder rate, it might have a higher crime rate for other violent crimes, like muggings,knife attacks,Beating someone up etc....

I bet there is a lot more knife attacks in glasgow than there is in New York.

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 29th, 2008, 10:34 am

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
9Caliber wrote:
A Ghost wrote:

yeah violence isn't just murder but I'd much rather get beat up and robbed then shot in the face and die.

Yea i agree getting shot is a lot worse, but id rather be in a place where theres still a very small chance that youll get shot i.e most american citys, than somewhere where im quite likely to get robbed beaten up or stabbed. Which is a lot of British citys.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 29th, 2008, 11:43 am

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
9Caliber wrote:
A Ghost wrote:

Pretty much. And I could have sworn American cities just plain had more crime. :?:

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » May 29th, 2008, 11:45 am

9Caliber wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
9Caliber wrote:
A Ghost wrote:

Yea i agree getting shot is a lot worse, but id rather be in a place where theres still a very small chance that youll get shot i.e most american citys, than somewhere where im quite likely to get robbed beaten up or stabbed. Which is a lot of British citys.
A very small chance?

Theres still a chance, and its higher than Europe.

And dont think that if you move to the US you are escaping your everyday burglaries and assaults. lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 30th, 2008, 3:19 am

You dont seem to understand that although U.S citys have higher murder rates, they dont have higher crime rates for a lot of other things. Thats what this thread is about, its saying that although the murder rate is lower than NYC, the crime rate for other crimes which come under "violent" are a lot higher, overall making glasgow more violent than New York.

For example, New york may have 1000 murders?
Glasgow may only have 500 murders?

New York may have 1000 muggings .
Glasgow may have 2000 muggings.

And it goes on like that, so NYC might have higher crime rates for some crimes while Glasgow has higher rates for other crimes. And overall it shows that Glasgow has more violent crimes happening in it than NYC.

So i really dont know why that when it comes to violent all the americans jump and say "look at out murder rate" when violent doesnt just mean murder.

9Caliber
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by 9Caliber » May 30th, 2008, 3:22 am

A Ghost wrote:
9Caliber wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
9Caliber wrote:
A Ghost wrote:

A very small chance?

Theres still a chance, and its higher than Europe.

And dont think that if you move to the US you are escaping your everyday burglaries and assaults. lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is a very small chance, How many murders do you see per 100,000 people? About 10 or something isnt it?
And i bet atleast half of them are gang related. So if i was a law adiding citizen then there would be a 0.1% chance that i would get shot. I dunno about you but id say theyre pritty small odds.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by punamusta » May 30th, 2008, 11:02 am

A Ghost wrote:
punamusta wrote:
jamie1088 wrote:
I'm sure New York has way harder areas than Glasgow does.
Which is nothing to be proud of.
Why would I be proud of it? I've never been in New York or even in USA nor will I ever be. Just said what I said, because I think this Glasgow hyping here is on the edge of turning comedy (although I like Scottish people and basically feel what they are saying). But the fact is that Europe has several more violent and more dangerous cities than Glasgow.