Are Italians considered to be white?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
twocost
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Are Italians considered to be white?

Unread post by twocost » July 3rd, 2008, 3:12 am

I never considered Italians to be white. Light skinned, yes very in some cases but not white. But they are apart of Europe so are Italians considered white or there own thing? I've filled out a lot of job applications just like the next guy and under Race there isn't a "Italians check here" Its manily like.

Asian
White (Non-Hispanic)
Black
Hispanic

But on one application I remember it saying Hispanic - non White. So if your Italian what would you check because Italians arn't Latino and if you ask an Italian they don't consider them selves to be white. Just Italian...

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Are Italians considered to be white?

Unread post by thekinks1886 » July 3rd, 2008, 5:28 am

Italians view themselves as white- Italians have the full gambit of "white" heritage/background, from fair skinned gingers, to tanned dark haired ones.

There was some north african influence in the south of Italy, but then again, North Africa is not a sub saharan african area, with its own historic "white" population

So yeah, Italians are considered white, and they consider themselves white

twocost
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by twocost » July 3rd, 2008, 5:05 pm

thekinks1886 wrote:Italians view themselves as white- Italians have the full gambit of "white" heritage/background, from fair skinned gingers, to tanned dark haired ones.

There was some north african influence in the south of Italy, but then again, North Africa is not a sub saharan african area, with its own historic "white" population

I meet some Italians that are darker than Mexicans though... How can they be considered white?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » July 3rd, 2008, 7:44 pm

Because white doesn't mean literally white-skinned. It's a term for European or other Caucasian.

thekinks1886
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by thekinks1886 » July 4th, 2008, 8:57 am

twocost wrote:
thekinks1886 wrote:Italians view themselves as white- Italians have the full gambit of "white" heritage/background, from fair skinned gingers, to tanned dark haired ones.

I meet some Italians that are darker than Mexicans though... How can they be considered white?

because some mexicans are white- I am white and am lighter than some whites and darker than others (although not too many on the latter)

Bohus
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: West coast island

Unread post by Bohus » July 6th, 2008, 12:29 pm

Do you have to fill out what race you are in your job applications in America??

twocost
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by twocost » July 6th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Bohus wrote:Do you have to fill out what race you are in your job applications in America??

Its optional but they do ask.

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » July 7th, 2008, 9:49 am

twocost wrote:
Bohus wrote:Do you have to fill out what race you are in your job applications in America??

Why they need to know that? Has it never been discussed?

Bohus
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: West coast island

Unread post by Bohus » July 7th, 2008, 9:50 am

Thats sick. Why is the race matter so important in America?

twocost
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by twocost » July 9th, 2008, 1:58 pm

punamusta wrote:
twocost wrote:

Why they need to know that? Has it never been discussed?
Bohus wrote:Thats sick. Why is the race matter so important in America?
Yeah I know its pretty lame. They should not be able to ask stupid questions like that. Its been going on for so long people are use to it. And since its completely optional (witch most people don't know that) they fill it out any way.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » July 10th, 2008, 11:33 am

It's optional but if you don't choose an ethnicity they'll just make an assumption based on your last name. So if your a Mexican with an Irish or Italian last name (yes, they do exist) or a black American with an upper crusty WASP sounding name it's in your best interest to identify yourself race/athnicity.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Unread post by razbojnik » July 21st, 2008, 8:30 am

This taxi driver I know, he was a soldier awhile back, he went to Quebec for joint exercises with the Canadian armed forces. He said he loved it. He said it's shit in America but Canada has it good. I do agree with him.

Flex
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Shreveport

Unread post by Flex » July 25th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Italians view themselves as white, Europe sees them as white and so does the U.S.

When they check 'race' on any application they check 'white'.

They are 'white' first, then Italian. Just like people from England are 'white' first then British, etc...

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » July 25th, 2008, 8:36 pm

I've asked the 7 Italian dudes that i personally know that live on my block this before and they all consider themselves white.
but if you were to ask them straight up what nationality they were they would say Italian first.
Kinda like if somebody asked me what nationality i was I would say cambodian first but still say yes to the "are you Asian?" question.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 26th, 2008, 11:11 am

In America Italians weren't always considered white along with other mediterranean Europeans, the Irish and some other Europeans. After WWII America as a whole pretty much accepted them as white.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » July 26th, 2008, 12:05 pm

I'm a little sceptical about all this "Italians weren't always considered white" or "Irish weren't always considered white" concept. I've read old books that spoke of Italians as white, Irish as white. I think it was just some WASPs were snobby towards foreigners.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 26th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Silencioso wrote:I'm a little sceptical about all this "Italians weren't always considered white" or "Irish weren't always considered white" concept. I've read old books that spoke of Italians as white, Irish as white. I think it was just some WASPs were snobby towards foreigners.
in America there was a caste system of sorts, with wasps at the top there was even a chart from that time, i wish I could find it. They were white but they were considered Italian, or Irish first, and looked down upon, then after WWII the WASP's started accepting every European as just white.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » July 28th, 2008, 11:43 am

Yeah, I've seen those charts. There was a white heirarchy and below that a non-white heirarchy.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 28th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Silencioso wrote:Yeah, I've seen those charts. There was a white heirarchy and below that a non-white heirarchy.
can you find it?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » July 28th, 2008, 12:13 pm

It wasn't on line. It was in a book about L.A. There used to be racist housing "covenants" that were designed to keep certain races out of certain areas and there was a heirarchy of desirability. It was something like this:

WHITE
White Protestant
Irish Catholic
Northern Italian
Czechoslovakian
Polish
German Jews
Southern Italian
East European Jews

NON WHITE
Mexican
Chinese
Japanese
Filipino
Negro

ukrainian
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Moscow

Unread post by ukrainian » October 19th, 2008, 12:09 pm

i am half sicilian and half ukrainian...... most everyone i meet thinks i am mexican for some reason.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » October 19th, 2008, 12:42 pm

ukrainian wrote:i am half sicilian and half ukrainian...... most everyone i meet thinks i am mexican for some reason.
alot of different people get taken for latino. Unless you're a dark skinned black, a very fair or blond white or a classically Asian looking Asian, you have a shot a being mistaken for Latino on occasion. It don't mean stuff.

AloisBrunner
What city do you live in now?: Syria

Unread post by AloisBrunner » November 17th, 2008, 3:52 am

Italians are white both ethnically and culturally

A minority(which is overstated) have some moorish blood in the south.

Zixx
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Zixx » December 26th, 2008, 11:01 am

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:I've asked the 7 Italian dudes that i personally know that live on my block this before and they all consider themselves white.
but if you were to ask them straight up what nationality they were they would say Italian first.
Kinda like if somebody asked me what nationality i was I would say cambodian first but still say yes to the "are you Asian?" question.
Being white isnt an nationallity.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » December 26th, 2008, 6:23 pm

All natives on the Continent Of Europe are White, plain and simple.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » September 22nd, 2009, 7:26 am

the real gangster italians teh home of the original mafia is sicily and from first hand experiece and knowing many many many of them from my trips to canada(huge italian immigrant population in some parts) Those italians look identical to any bushy haired and moustache wearing PAISA on the streets of LA. They got that same hairy ass neckline and short stocky dark ass look.
In canada Italians are considered white, heck they act whiter then most other white people i know. Even the sicilians (italian) = white. The sicilian girl i know, :), considers herself white... This other sicilian i knew since i was knee high to a duck considered himself white and he looked like a mexican you see at those lakers parties.....

Historically, Geographically, politically, and yes even demographically....

Your friends are probally the kind you see at the bar bragging about how awesome it is to be italian.... Either that or your friends have listened to your shit long enough they are starting to believe you.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 24th, 2009, 10:47 pm

If you have historical ties to Europe and you fit into the general schema of caucasian phenotypes, you are considered white. Hell all the ethnic whites are white now, they've been accepted into the white fold by the anglos -at least in America, since WWII.

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » September 25th, 2009, 8:58 am

what really gets under my skin are the specific italians at the bar that just talk all this shit about how awesome it is to be Italian and how being anything else is mediocre... Especially when they say, Italians built this nation more then anyone, were the coolest, other peoples take our form of coolness and take it for themselves...

And if i want to tell them to shut up, i only need to look around any bar where iam from because if they aint french there Italian...

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Guam
What city do you live in now?: Tokyo

Unread post by Dobre » September 25th, 2009, 3:43 pm

perongregory wrote:If you have historical ties to Europe and you fit into the general schema of caucasian phenotypes, you are considered white. Hell all the ethnic whites are white now, they've been accepted into the white fold by the anglos -at least in America, since WWII.
Your situation might be different since yours is a problem of shade...

Ours is a problem of nationality. This is why blacks shouldn't consider the white race united or 'one'.

Personally, alot of people hate me, fear me or don't have anything to do with me at first sight just if they notice either that I'm a Slav or from the Balkans.

In North America, it counts more if you seem Russian. In Europe it counts more if you seem either one...but more if you seem from the Balkans since scumbags from back home are responsible for much of their problems and they automatically blame you for it, like you're personally responsible.

This is why you shouldn't really generalize by race. I'm disgusted by some Anglos honestly...and our mentality differs a huge lot from theirs. If my thinking differs from theirs, by them it could be labelled as a mental disorder.

For example, when an Anglo or black says he'll kill you, he'll do it 100 percent guarented.

When a person from the Balkans says he'll kill you, most likely he's just trying to express his anger and hate for you at that very moment.

People from the Balkans don't care much, they think rationally and they only act by emotion, rarely by actual thought thus unpredictable and unstable. They perfer to live on with their lives...and oh are they vengeful.

If a person from the Balkans actually attempts to kill you, run and hide because if his emotional state has gotten this far, he will think up the most fucked up ways to kill you.

Personally, if I had a gun and my hormones were raging with adrenaline, I'd probably break the gun off the person instead of control myself enough to pull the trigger.

Overall, the North American and Western European system is based off Anglo reaction and mentality, not Balkan one. Thus why the Balkans is considered more primitive, wild and lawless than the West. Hence Americans don't plan, they do or what Americans say is what it is.

In my group of friends back home, we're 15 people. We have a humorable but true saying that goes if we ever get into a fight with a person outside of the crew and we all try to attack him, we'll attack him at the same time and we have a bigger chance of being knocked out just trying to get to him rushing all at once than managing to get at him successfully and in an organized manner. Also, if we aquire a gun, expect that within the next 6 months one of us will die.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 25th, 2009, 4:13 pm

On and on with the balkans...we are talking aboout what is considered white in the Americas partiularly the United States and Canada. Here in N. America the preiemminent power and white power of the world you are white...even though it is a purely political title since Slavs are still looked down on somewhat, you are...and even you accept it and buy into the system.

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dobre » September 25th, 2009, 4:15 pm

My point that everything is based upon the worst threat or ultimate mentality as a filthering system. It gets to the point quicker, the reason why if you say you want to kill someone or kill yourself, we'll put your in handcuffs even if you're joking.

No sub system of classification.

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dobre » September 25th, 2009, 4:28 pm

perongregory wrote:On and on with the balkans...we are talking aboout what is considered white in the Americas partiularly the United States and Canada. Here in N. America the preiemminent power and white power of the world you are white...even though it is a purely political title since Slavs are still looked down on somewhat, you are...and even you accept it and buy into the system.
One thing before we get into the discussion, delete all the posts of my old(Razbojnik) and current account. Damn request hasn't been filled out and I've been asking for it the past 14 months?

As for classification in the Americans it's still pretty much the same. My dad felt alot of discrimination in Macedonia for being an Aegean his entire childhood basically consisted of street fights and running from the cops. What...you think we won't be discriminated against in Canada?

When my dad was presenting a suprise portrait to this Bulgarian businessman in a Canadian city, the guy speaking on my dad's behalf said that my dad was from the town I'm from and he proceeded to comment: ..."one of the most important places in Bulgarian history and revolutionary past"..

Of course, political.

I'm up with the system but even as blacks have said before, the system needs to change and I'm not talking about taking radical action. There's alot of beaurocratic crap that goes on that I don't like or see as fair or even nessecary.

For example, Canada's immigration policy. My aunt whom is the chief of police for the entire statistical region of Eastern Macedonia gets denied a Canadian visa because of those policies. No, she's not going to take out a diplomatic passport. xD She wants to come here as a civilian and we did everything we could to get her in. Unfortunetly, it's not as easy to help your brother, sister, cousin, uncle or aunt get into the country as it's easy to get your mother, father, son or daughter in.

I just don't like the fact that Nikola Tesla is responsible for the white race being what it is today and how America is a superpower yet none of the people from that region are elligable. We're smart...but is that what the Canadian government is afraid of? I'm also aware that Canada is less loose on restrictions and policy towards immigration from the Balkans overall than America, the reason we're here and not there.

But Canada's immigration policy is extremely flexible on immigrants from Asia and Africa...WHY?!

Why the fuck should some former Somali militant or slum resident who was on the verge of death and starvation so he ate bananas to survive gets to come here and complain about how the system isn't good enough for him?

Why should some fucking turban wearing asshole with no sense of how life is supposed to be get to come here and pollute apartment buildings with his curry smell? Why should some hairy Bengali bittch who hasn't reached adulthood yet tell me my fucking 10 dollar bill is counterfeit at Subway? Why should some Gypsy asshole decide my financial future?

I honestly believe more in the Asian race than in the Brown race. I would fucking hate to see what we looked down and made fun of in my homeland be my fucking superior here and try to act like he/she is better than me. The Asian race is actually worth it, I respect the Chinese, and even fear them, they could end us if they wanted to but they haven't because they rely on our economical superiority.

All my parents' bosses in Canada so far have been Jews and we don't mind. At least a Jew could get you in somewhere easy while a Chink could only deny your right to your paycheck or a brown faggot could give you the fucking curry disease. Please, I want my children to be born bigfootless in terms of hair quantity or with a clear view of their surroundings.

Ok I have to make a call that's enough preaching for now.