Can Gangs impact upper class communities?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Can Gangs impact upper class communities?

Unread post by alexalonso » May 25th, 2007, 1:11 am

DO you remember Westwood and the killing of Karen Toshima by a Rolling 60s Crip in 1988?

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » May 27th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Alonso, I agree with your answer to that last question. Good fathers, present in the home, would alleviate a lot the problem.

As for gangs affecting suburbia, the answer is yes to the extent suburban youth have attempted to emulate what they see in the media. The quiet smart shot caller who can afford to move to Suburbia isn't kicking up any dust out there as a rule.

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » June 20th, 2007, 11:40 am

Yes, I believe that gangs can effect the upper middle class community, like ole shatterhead stated those kids in those neighborhood are fascinated with the urban and ghetto life style so thaey tend to copycat what they see. To them it's just a game, though sometimes some of them get caught up in the life. A lot of ole heads are moving out the hood and into these neighborhoods so the lifestyle of the ghetto spills over into these neighborhoods.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » June 20th, 2007, 12:40 pm

you can just look around and c that gang culture is affecting all different classes of people. mostly thru music, but like the other posts have said they dont get the full sense of the struggle. Its glamorized and hyped up. Cant get the real affect of it and how it affects a persons life when your not living it.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » July 10th, 2007, 12:13 am

Most foos quit tryna be gangster in the middle of high school

it's shit like myspace and music that helps em play the fake role, music is declining in promoting this stuff. Less on gangs more on thugging

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » January 17th, 2008, 9:54 pm

The one thing I've noticed in those neighborhoods is that the graffiti goes up on the wall and the neighbors call it in quickly and out comes the police with a camera and carefully record it and then it gets taken down fast. Sometimes they put up a sting and sit and wait for the "banger" tagger to come back and then put a case on him when he does it again. That's pretty standard operating procedure in those areas. So things don't really get off the ground for the most part. Oh you get the little house parties full of wannabes playing gangster but it's delusional for them.. haha. Only rarely does it actually turn into something like it did with Jessie James. That's how it goes in the upscale burbs 99% of the time. I'm sure there's an exception on occasion but they are rare and don't last.

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » March 27th, 2008, 3:05 am

No way that gangs can inflance upper class communities, and I don't mean shootings/killings, I mean gangs that are part of upper class communities. I don't understand why some rich person would go hang around gangs. He/she should be around rich white collar executive type guys like the Mafia. No place for a gang in upper class.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Re:

Unread post by Common Sense » June 25th, 2008, 9:26 am

flame_guards_member1 wrote:I don't understand why some rich person would go hang around gangs.
People wonder why RPV kid 'chose to be a gang member'
Killing turns a limitless horizon to a life of restrictions.

Originally published Saturday, November 03, 2007
Monday, November 05, 2007
By Denise Nix
Staff Writer

Photographs of Phillip Dorsett, his friends and younger brother flashing gang signs were set in matting and framed.

They were displayed on his bedroom desk inside his parents' million-dollar Rancho Palos Verdes home, which sits atop a hill and offers ocean views.

Dorsett, 21, seemingly, could have had anything or done anything.
viewtopic.php?f=175&t=4633&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=80

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Re: Re:

Unread post by razbojnik » July 2nd, 2008, 3:44 am

Common Sense wrote:
flame_guards_member1 wrote:I don't understand why some rich person would go hang around gangs.
People wonder why RPV kid 'chose to be a gang member'
Killing turns a limitless horizon to a life of restrictions.

Originally published Saturday, November 03, 2007
Monday, November 05, 2007
By Denise Nix
Staff Writer

Photographs of Phillip Dorsett, his friends and younger brother flashing gang signs were set in matting and framed.

They were displayed on his bedroom desk inside his parents' million-dollar Rancho Palos Verdes home, which sits atop a hill and offers ocean views.

Dorsett, 21, seemingly, could have had anything or done anything.
viewtopic.php?f=175&t=4633&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=80
Rofl. That's interesting. What can I say. But this kid is from where again? Hispanic, black or white? If he's Hispanic or Black, no duh. If he's white, he's probably American. If he's European, I seriously doubt he'll do this. Yet again, it depends on culture, religion, race and nationality. Is toughness endorsed into our culture? Yes. Is being cool endorsed? Yes. Is being into a street gang endorsed? No. Do they know what a street gang is here? No and they don't care. Is being into organized crime endorsed? No, adults and seniors especially hate the thought of tattoo's, let alone a mafia group, there is a silence amongst youth when talking about organized crime, no one mentions it until someone asks, then it seems as if they like it. They asked me why I didn't start a mafia group in Toronto lol.. He's like you have the face, your big, your tough. You should do it...lol... How are security guards viewed in Macedonia? As cool, tough, big, strong and brutal since they usually are muscle bound martial artists and weightlifters with a criminal background. How are security guards viewed in the USA and Canada? As pussies with a flashlight rent a cops with silly ass uniforms and anyone can get the job.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: --

Re: Can Gangs impact upper class communities?

Unread post by Azure9920 » July 2nd, 2008, 11:56 am

Yes they can. When people think of gangs in the suburbs, they tend to think of high school wannabes, but that's just not true. Many gangs are moving into the suburbs, MS13, I know a few Chicago gangs have moved into surrounding suburbs, due to too much competition within the city, so it's entirely possible.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 3rd, 2008, 12:13 am

Azure9920 wrote:Yes they can. When people think of gangs in the suburbs, they tend to think of high school wannabes, but that's just not true. Many gangs are moving into the suburbs, MS13, I know a few Chicago gangs have moved into surrounding suburbs, due to too much competition within the city, so it's entirely possible.
Of course it's possible. But the living conditions are better than being in a ghetto thus they will become pussier. I mean come on. Remember those pictures I posted in Post Pictures Of Your Neighbourhood thread??? Well yes, that was a mixed income community. On the other side of Eglinton there are crappy housing projects, the opposite side of my building. On my side of Eglinton, especially when you go into Rosemount a bit you'll find some nice one story houses that cost like 350 grand each. Gangsta's live there...

RainbowLJ
What city do you live in now?: not available

Unread post by RainbowLJ » July 5th, 2008, 12:10 pm

MS on the east coast is a fuckin joke........

most of them could not point to El Salvador on a globe

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » July 5th, 2008, 12:45 pm

razbojnik wrote:
Azure9920 wrote:Yes they can. When people think of gangs in the suburbs, they tend to think of high school wannabes, but that's just not true. Many gangs are moving into the suburbs, MS13, I know a few Chicago gangs have moved into surrounding suburbs, due to too much competition within the city, so it's entirely possible.
Of course it's possible. But the living conditions are better than being in a ghetto thus they will become pussier. I mean come on. Remember those pictures I posted in Post Pictures Of Your Neighbourhood thread??? Well yes, that was a mixed income community. On the other side of Eglinton there are crappy housing projects, the opposite side of my building. On my side of Eglinton, especially when you go into Rosemount a bit you'll find some nice one story houses that cost like 350 grand each. Gangsta's live there...
Not always, the Decepticonz of Brooklyn come to mind. They were formed in a private school populated by intelligent, rich people. Doctors and lawyers live in Rosemont, not gangsters.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 6th, 2008, 3:05 pm

RainbowLJ wrote:MS on the east coast is a fuckin joke........

most of them could not point to El Salvador on a globe
hahahahahahah dats funny lmaoooo but true

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » July 7th, 2008, 7:55 am

Azure9920 wrote:
razbojnik wrote:
Not always, the Decepticonz of Brooklyn come to mind. They were formed in a private school populated by intelligent, rich people. Doctors and lawyers live in Rosemont, not gangsters.
Haha I know lol... Rosemount Drive in Scaborough between Birchmount and Kennedy on Eglinton Ave East? I lived on 1st Rosemount drive, I think. That building. It looks nice, doesn't it? This drug dealer sold my brother's friend his crashed Audi A4 for 2 grand, and it was used but like new. Good deal. This black guy, a bouncer, shot his gun outside one night while arguing with his girlfriend. Cops came from 41 Division which is like 2 minutes away walking after about half an hour, he told them to fuck off and swore at them, insulted them, and threatened them, so they left HAHAHA.. I remember one night waking up to the sound of screeching tires and vehicles crashing lol... It was fun.

SoulJah
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SoulJah » July 7th, 2008, 11:13 am

A LOT OF THE RESPONSES HERE TALK ABOUT HOW THE CULTURE HAS AFFECTED SUBURBIA THROUGH VARIOUS MEDIA FORMS (MUSIC, FILMS ETC..), BUT NOT ACTUALLY HOW THE GANGS AND THEIR MEMBERS HAVE IMPACTED ON SUBURBAN COMMUNITIES.

WHERE I LIVE IN LONDON THERE IS EVIDENCE OF BOTH.

GANGS HAVE GROWN IN THE SUBURBS, NOT BECAUSE THE YOUTH THERE HAVE BEEN BORN INTO THE LIFESTYLE BUT BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN EMULATING WHAT THEY SEE, ITS BECOME ALMOST LIKE SOME FASHION FAD IN THE SUBURBS WHERE YOUTHS ASPIRE TO BE GANG MEMBERS ADOPTING THE ARGOT, DEMEANOR AND CERTAIN ASPECTS OF THE LIFESTYLE AND FINDING RIVALRIES IN SIMILAR GROUPS CLOSE TO THEM - SO IN THIS INSTANCE ITS FORMS OF MEDIA IMPACTING ON THESE SUBURBAN COMMUNITIES NOT THE CURRENT/HISTORICAL GANGS AND GANG MEMBERS THEMSELVES.

THESE SUBURBAN GANGS HOWEVER ARE VERY YOUNG IN AGE STRUCTURE AND ARE MORE LIKELY TO ENGAGE IN NUMEROUS LOWER LEVEL TYPES OF OFFENDING AND FIGHTING WITH OTHER GROUPS. THEY ARE NOT SEEN AS MUCH OF A THREAT BUT THERE HAVE STILL BEEN A FEW MURDERS COMMITTED IN THE PAST YEAR BY THESE SUBURBAN WANNABES.

IN THE SECOND INSTANCE, GANG MEMBERS HAVE IMPACTED ON SUBURBAN COMMUNITIES (ALTHOUGH NOT NECESSARILY UPPER CLASS SUBURBS). THIS HAS BEEN BECAUSE OF THINGS SUCH AS URBAN REGENERATION BY LOCAL GOVERNMENT MOVING PEOPLE FURTHER OUT OF THE CENTRAL CITY AREAS WHERE HOUSING IS CHEAPER CREATING NEW PROBLEMS IN THE PERIPHERY. REHOUSING OF RESIDENTS AND DEMOLITION OF INNER CITY NEIGHBOURHOODS HAS MOVED GANG INVOLVED PEOPLE INTO WHAT ARE SEEN AS SOFTER AREAS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO INFLUENCE OTHERS AROUND THEM AND TO CONTINUE OFFENDING, SPREADING THE GANGS OUTWARDS.

WHEN MOVED OUT THEY WILL FIND AND MAKE NEW CONTACTS AND NEW MARKETS AND NEW RIVALS.

IN RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION CAN GANGS IMPACT UPPER CLASS COMMUNITIES? I AGREE THAT IT DOES, BUT THE NATURE AND EXTENT OF THIS IMPACT IS FAR LESS SEVERE THAN THE IMPACT GANGS HAVE IN COMMUNITIES WHERE THEY ALREADY EXIST OR IN COMMUNITIES THAT ARE DEPRIVED OR IN INNER CITY LOCATIONS.

WASNT THE FILM ALPHA DOG LOOKING AT INTERNAL CONFLICTS OF GROUP/GANG INVOLVED YOUTHS/WANNABES IN A RICH UPPER CLASS SUBURB?

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 21st, 2008, 11:57 pm

Absolutely. Some of the biggest funds behind gang activity and profit come from middle/upper and upper class communities. Sad but true. Some people will come up however they can.

robisgangsta1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: somewhere

Unread post by robisgangsta1 » July 22nd, 2008, 12:05 am

and yeah when to rival gang members where shooting at each other and a innocent victim was hit but the stray bullet. and it happened in hollywood. rumour was that it was r60s and 8trey shooting

TCC19
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Victorville CA

Unread post by TCC19 » September 18th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Thats true If you want to know how gangs impact suburban communities just drive up to the High desert Palmdale, lancaster,Victorville,Apple Valley, Hesperia anyone of them. I've lived up here for a while and things have never been as bad as they are now. Drive By shootings, Partys getting shot up every weekend, Black vs Brown riots at high schools ,middle schools, I even heard of some people trying to start shit at elementary schools.I'm not trying to say that they were the perfect cities before but it's definitely not how it used to be.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » September 20th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Partially yes, but generally speaking in my observations gang activities are very much focused on poor areas. I can speak for a couple of cities i have been to. Berlin, Cairo, London, Los Angeles, Paris to name some of them.
I grew up in a relatively wealthy neighbourhood and often, when we hung out at night the police would come ASAP and check out what we were doing.
In wealthy areas you got way more police enforcement, more money to supply schools/education/job opportunities and so on. These are some of the major factors that cause ganglike criminal activities. Sometimes gangs make it into upper class communities but it will never be their main spot for their violent activities cause they will get wiped out by the wealthy people living there. Its the same all over the world.
Brazil is my favorite example for things like that because its extreme. If a poor kid from a certain gang even tries to enter a rich neighbourhood it will get arrested in the best case but more probably just get shot.
"Gangs" in rich neighbourhoods would be Mafia Style activities behind closed doors. But they would never allow a drug dealer on their front porch.
I will believe otherwise when i see 18th Street Gangmembers selling drungs in Bel-Air on the street.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » September 22nd, 2008, 6:40 am

Of course they can impact upper class communities, I just find it stupid that upper class kids would try to act 'gangsta', yo. It's just, it doesn't make sense. It doesn't look like them. If you are talking about MTV and BET, then of course these guys will get some type of messege, and I find it comical, funny and cartoony that a gangsta from the ghetto goes to live in an upper class community(they won't even let them step into the community let alone let them live there) and is the coolest kid in school and gangsta yo and everyone tries to be like him, so it goes from a family/kids movie like the Fresh Prince of Bel Air to something like Street Kings LOL...

I mean depending on what race, what nationality, what type of income these kids' families recieve, hell one kid's father could be involved in a multi billion dollar fraud scheme being the CEO of a large corperation, and it's obvious the kid should try to act more mafia like, not more gang like...

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » September 22nd, 2008, 2:47 pm

The average income in Baldwin Village is something like 46000 dollars....that's a bit above average...certainly not "ghetto", yet it's still a dangerous place.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » September 22nd, 2008, 7:24 pm

Azure9920 wrote:The average income in Baldwin Village is something like 46000 dollars....that's a bit above average...certainly not "ghetto", yet it's still a dangerous place.
Never heard of it.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » September 23rd, 2008, 1:52 pm

razbojnik wrote:
Azure9920 wrote:The average income in Baldwin Village is something like 46000 dollars....that's a bit above average...certainly not "ghetto", yet it's still a dangerous place.
Never heard of it.
The Jungles...the deadend road in training day where his PR girl/son lived.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » September 24th, 2008, 9:41 am

Azure9920 wrote:
razbojnik wrote:
Never heard of it.
The Jungles...the deadend road in training day where his PR girl/son lived.
46,000??? LOL...

Jeez they sell drugs and they report their income doing that...

Of course income doesn't equal hardness. That's why third world countries are more fucked up than Western countries, not because they are poorer, but because they are third world, which has something to do with poverty???

46,000 LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » September 24th, 2008, 1:47 pm

it's true...it's still a highly dangerous place despite the average income.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » September 24th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Azure9920 wrote:it's true...it's still a highly dangerous place despite the average income.
Highly dangerous.. According to the culture lol...

And for the West it's highly dangerous...

Woah woah I know I know LOL here we go again...

Statistics = someone gets murdered everyday in Baldwin Village despite the income LOL...

Ok murders...

People can afford a gun...

Let's say you can't afford shoes, but you can aquire a machete, and you massacre your neighbour in a slum. Africa LOL...

As for Eastern Europe/Balkans = fights happen 10 times more than in Western cities...

Every one or two weeks I witness a fight that's broken up and most of the time it becomes a fight out of nothing and I don't notice it until people start yelling or everyone stops and looks in a certian direction LOL...

Ok not much murders. Let's ask the fine folks at Radanski Pat. No no no no kill here no very quiet we food ya food icht licht bicht eich mein(all Roma in Hamburg are from Radanski Pat and are frequent travellers to Germany idk how the fuck they can't afford bread and be able to travel more to a foreign country than us)....

Something stinks....

BlAKHAALLNBLBLAHAJAPAPLAABLAHAAKAKAHN!!!!!!!!!! AYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYAYY MAKHATALHAHAL ALLAH U AKBAR!!!!!!!

Police comes over enters the shack...

WTF?!?!? HOLY FUCK!!! That's 40 corpses LOL...

Nah really something stank and all of a sudden they found a bag full of severed body parts LOL the guy was from who knows where somewhere from Germany or something idk they dumped it in my town...

Then you have the fequent neighbour disputes like um...

The two Roma couples massacring eachother with samurai swords and axes on the town square infront of like 200 people LOL...

Or like the guy from Belgrade said getting chased by a crazy old lady with an axe...

There's this retarded Roma guy with mucus coming out of his nose that can't speak always asks for ciggies and coffee that walks around with an axe and chops our wood. I'm suspicious of this guy he has been chopping our wood since I was a little kid but still the guy could snap and cut up my grandma into pieces God forbid...

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » September 24th, 2008, 4:18 pm

There are hundreds of actual fistfights everyday in Stip, Macedonia, with hundreds of violent phsyical confrentations happening each hour that are broken up before any fists actually fly, and most go unreported because regular people interviened enough that the police didn't need to get involved...

95 percent of the fistfights are broken up because most of the fights mean someone is pissed enough to kill the person and the fights that aren't broken up usually end up sending someone to the hospital, least bad thing could be knocking someone out, they always cause property damage, and yelling, swearing, screaming and insulting throughout the fight is normal as it is in our instinct to war cry during a fight...

Murders amongst Macedonians are rare, however they do happen from time to time. That's why people get involved in other people's business LOL...

Shootings aren't really rare, but they aren't too common either. Stabbings don't happen much because people use chairs and beer bottles as weapons during fights instead. Attempted murders aren't as much as in Western cities, but having 1 in 1000 fights being an attempted murder is, more than should be, for a town in EUROPE lol not unusual for the Balkans really of 50,000 people, especially when each year hundreds of thousands of violent confrentations occour with tens of thousands of them being fistfights in Stip, Macedonia...

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » September 24th, 2008, 4:34 pm

So you're saying an area with little to no murders is somehow more dangerous than a small community FILLED with gang bangers in an active war zone?

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » September 24th, 2008, 4:37 pm

razbojnik wrote: As for Eastern Europe/Balkans = fights happen 10 times more than in Western cities...
No.

robisgangsta1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: somewhere

Unread post by robisgangsta1 » September 24th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Azure9920 wrote:
razbojnik wrote: As for Eastern Europe/Balkans = fights happen 10 times more than in Western cities...
No.
rofl razbojnik or w.e the dudes name is got me rollin.

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by razbojnik » September 24th, 2008, 6:18 pm

razbojnik wrote:There's this retarded Roma guy with mucus coming out of his nose that can't speak always asks for ciggies and coffee that walks around with an axe and chops our wood. I'm suspicious of this guy he has been chopping our wood since I was a little kid but still the guy could snap and cut up my grandma into pieces God forbid...
Then I'd have to gather the coalition and wipe Radanski Pat off the map...

LOL @ the concrete comment LOL construction business the PUNK LOOKS SO FUCKING LAME LOOOOOOL OMG I just have to keep going on this is too fucking funny I wanna respond but still no no no LOL I'll just mess with the locals a bit fit in hrhrhr...