Do You Have A Hard Time Getting A Job DU 2 Gang History?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Do You Have A Hard Time Getting A Job DU 2 Gang History?

Unread post by Common Sense » December 21st, 2004, 10:05 am

Some Ridah's and Ex Ridah's complain that everytime they try to go the straight and narrow route, it's been difficult because no one wanted to hire them because of their gang past or the way they look. Has this been the case with you?

For those of you that did cross over, what did you do?

cbi562
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Do You Have A Hard Time Getting A Job DU 2 Gang History?

Unread post by cbi562 » December 21st, 2004, 6:43 pm

Workin at a job. This is the most silly thang I ever heard cuzzin.

project blowed
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by project blowed » December 22nd, 2004, 9:28 pm

lol, most employers that i've dealt with don't even really check on priors even if they say they do unless of course it's a federal, postal service, local, government job such as in nursing, policing, corrections, etc etc.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » December 22nd, 2004, 9:36 pm

Since 9/11 many employers are doing back ground checks on all new applicants. I had to submit to 2 this year.

Psilly
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Psilly » January 25th, 2005, 1:11 am

To get even low level clearance for fed buildings I've had to explain past charges. Never been bounced because of it but have had access limited. Also had good lawyers when I was doing dirt but juvie charges count on the fed level. Not hacking on anyone but I can't identify at all with another view point that was expressed in this thread. They probably could never see mine, just different lives.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 25th, 2005, 1:43 am

Psilly wrote: juvie charges count on the fed level.
That's news to me. I've learned something new. I'll be sure to shared that info with the trouble youth.

Purple Dinosaur
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Purple Dinosaur » January 25th, 2005, 2:27 am

fuck a job, i just rob and steal

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 25th, 2005, 10:10 am

Purple Dinosaur wrote:fu-- a job, i just rob and steal
Those who taketh will eventually get taken. It's a numbers game PD. Good luck out there. You're gonna need it.

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1111§ » January 25th, 2005, 11:03 am

Common Sense wrote:
Purple Dinosaur wrote:fu-- a job, i just rob and steal
Those who taketh will eventually get taken.
So true, the streets always proove this...

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 26th, 2005, 11:38 am

cbi562 wrote:Workin at a job. This is the most silly thang I ever heard cuzzin.
What is even sillier.......is being broke....LOL.

cbi562
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cbi562 » January 26th, 2005, 7:21 pm

Almost all bangers aint smart enough to get some real bread without havin to worry about gettin done up. Get yo hustle up cuzzin - fuck a 211 nigga and fuck dealin dope. Motherfucker its the year 2005, utilize all the technology we have. Broke ass dumb ass niggas.

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » January 26th, 2005, 7:23 pm

lmao @ cbi's net disses

cbi562
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cbi562 » January 26th, 2005, 7:29 pm

It aint a diss cuzzin its the truth. All you suckas out there doin blue collar crimes could get this K.

BABYBRAZE
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BABYBRAZE » January 26th, 2005, 7:32 pm

wow.. then u can kome give us your "K" - back to topic.... my boy got refused a job at a bodyshop 4 haven Blood tatted on his neck

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 26th, 2005, 9:04 pm

BABYBRAZE wrote:my boy got refused a job at a bodyshop 4 haven Blood tatted on his neck
He couldn't cover it up with a shirt. That sounds more like discrimination.

Did they say he couldn't have it because of the tattoo or did he just figure that was the case.

Psilly
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Psilly » January 27th, 2005, 1:30 am

Discriminaton how? A private employer chooses not to hire someone with a permanent, plainly visible sign attached to his flesh associating him with a criminal organization? Who would want such an individual representing his business? Private sector,baby,rights belong to the business owner.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » January 27th, 2005, 10:08 am

Psilly wrote: Private sector,baby,rights belong to the business owner.
You have a point there.

Info about tattoo removal service (nationwide):
http://streetgangs.com/billboard/viewtopic.php?t=2050

cbi562
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cbi562 » January 29th, 2005, 3:51 am

Not all tattoos can be removed. Jail house birdies.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » February 2nd, 2005, 4:18 am

Its hard for any convicted felon get a decent job.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » February 2nd, 2005, 9:30 am

WIP wrote:Its hard for any convicted felon get a decent job.
But not impossible. All depends on what type of felony. They may be restricted from certain government jobs and jobs that require secuirty clearance. It's worth a shot, all they can say is No.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » February 2nd, 2005, 9:51 am

In my opinion, there are hardly any riders out there getting real jobs. The true riders of the hood are in jail, dead, or still living waiting for karma to catch up with him. Plus the riders got too much pride, like can you see these cats really take orders from a square?

Most cats who have decided to stop the lifestyle eventually learn what they foregone with in their youth. Meaning they get hip to some education or schooling of some kind, they learn how to communicate with squares and live in their world, etc. That means changing the way you dress, removing some visible tattoos. It also means getting clowned by your homies, it means taking the more humble path to earning legit dollars.

Now is somebody who makes $1000/wk tax free from slanging going to appreciate the minimum wage 40hr/wk taxed job? I don't know. Usually, depending on age and maturity, that's the fence cats tend to teeter off of. You been living a fast lifestyle, when you get to the pace of the real world, it can be frustrating.

Plus, it's hard to get a job as is in the square's world too. I hear you need a college degree to work at a park nowadays? The one industry where I've seen homies get to make an honest, decent living is in construction and landscaping. Know a bunch of homies who have learned a few things about life picking up a shovel or paint brush. It still is a long process of staying a regular on the job, you have to learn simple things like being on time, learning the task at hand, learning how to speak to people, not try to take stuff so personal, etc. All the things you learn when you were supposed to be in school, you have to learn all this when your older...LOL.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » February 2nd, 2005, 11:29 am

Props on this post Big Dusty ^^^^^^^^ Well said.
Some dudes go crazy when they get out of doing a lil time, and do a string of things just trying to get sent back. You can see their mind working as they do this cycle over and over, having to deal with everyday business makes them sick. They would rather be locked up and their own man than free and a 'tool'.
Then you got a young dude, who might have done 5 or more of his prime years locked up. I mean his best, freest years behind bars. Still young, but old in spirit. You'll never see someone hustle so hard to stay out.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » February 2nd, 2005, 3:47 pm

BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote: riders got too much pride, like can you see these cats really take orders from a square?
We all have to take orders from somebody......LOL., rather it be a square, than a CO or Deputy.
BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:Most cats who have decided to stop the lifestyle. That means changing the way you dress, removing some visible tattoos. It also means getting clowned by your homies, it means taking the more humble path to earning legit dollars.
We do what we gotta do to come correct. I always say "the homies aint payin' the bills", Sometimes the homies that are laughing, they're situation is worst.
BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:You been living a fast lifestyle, when you get to the pace of the real world, it can be frustrating.
As corny as this sounds. I recommend some type of therapy or emtional support (friend, family, social worker, etc.)
BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:Plus, it's hard to get a job as is in the square's world too. I hear you need a college degree to work at a park nowadays?

They want a resume that shows experience, no gaps in employment, college or trade school, and no criminal history.
BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:The one industry where I've seen homies get to make an honest, decent living is in construction and landscaping. Know a bunch of homies who have learned a few things about life picking up a shovel or paint brush.

It's a start and it's honest. There are other resources out there especially for people with troubled past such as: Manpower and JTPA, just to name a couple. Job training and job placement. I believe these are natonwide organizations. California has a good handful of these tyoe of organizations, the problem is getting people to take advantage of the opportunity.

BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:It still is a long process of staying a regular on the job, you have to learn simple things like being on time, learning the task at hand, learning how to speak to people, not try to take stuff so personal, etc. All the things you learn when you were supposed to be in school, you have to learn all this when your older...LOL.
You got that right BDL. Good Post.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » February 3rd, 2005, 10:16 am

I think despair and hopelessness kind of deters some homies from flying straight. Going through like personal issues and figuring out the world and your place in it adds stress to a cat trying to climb out the gutter. The simplicity of gangbanging, and it's complexity, I'm saying it's an addictive drug. Living and breathing it day in and day out, some of these homies don't know anything else but the gang life.

Taking a fish out the fish bowl and throwing it into another one, sometimes it can kill the fish, the initial shock of a new world. It's much too easier for the fish to stay in familiar waters.

How do you get out of hopelessness and despair? Getting rejected on interviews and turned down on hundreds of applications filled...that is so damn frustrating. Especially when a homeboy feels like he's trying to make changes in his life, with his parole officer holding the keys to his freedom, dangling that violation in front of his face.

All I'm saying is it's a touchy situation...so I'll still plead the young to stay away from this lifestyle if your flirting with it.

Psilly
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Psilly » February 8th, 2005, 4:52 pm

Once you got a jacket, you are relegated to lower possibilities. The person who got themselves the jacket earned that. It was known before they got bagged, usually on several separate occasions. I think it's funny when some gangsta'd out fool asks me if I want fries with that. He worked hard to not be able to get a real job, over 30 & no skills, what do you expect? Anyone who can't see past "the hood" is destined to never go anywhere. All the "til I die" shit, most of them wish like hell they had more sense and went on to have a wife & kids, or atleast some stability.

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Anesis » February 9th, 2005, 9:24 pm

My husband owns his own business and he has hired ex-cons, ex-addicts, and ex-bangers, but he has gotten screwed by all of them. Most of the time, they end up stealing from him or showing up to the work site intoxicated. I consider him lucky if that's all that happens. The worst was when he held a job for a guy who was sent to a detox clinic for three months. One month after the guy got back, my husband had to fire him for showing up at work drunk, and the jerk called OSHA on him out of spite.

He doesn't have issues with hiring people who have made a mistake in the past, but too many people fall victim to old habits.

You might try looking at smaller, independently owned companies instead of large corporations, especially if you need to explain some things..

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » February 10th, 2005, 11:54 am

Anesis wrote:My husband owns his own business and he has hired ex-cons, ex-addicts, and ex-bangers, but he has gotten screwed by all of them.
That's honorable of your husband to try and help those with troubled past. Not many are willing to do it.

Anesis wrote:Most of the time, they end up stealing from him or showing up to the work site intoxicated.

I believe some our more vulnerable than others for relapse. Maybe he get potential workers from organizations such as AA, NA, Victory Outreach or something similar. At least you see that the person is trying to change his life on the inside. Some Ex Cons are just not ready to hold down a job, eventhough they may think so.

Anesis wrote:He doesn't have issues with hiring people who have made a mistake in the past, but too many people fall victim to old habits
That's true.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 12th, 2005, 10:37 pm

i go 2 felonies from when i was very young, 14. and ive tried getting into UTI the mechanics school, and they do back round checks, they said no.
nearly all employers around chicago do backround checks becuase of the rampant drug abuse and crime around the city it is so hard to find legit people any more, even fast food places are doing back rounds now.

Psilly
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Psilly » February 13th, 2005, 10:47 pm

The word is "back ground", but minor offenses fall off once you become an adult in most civilian (job search) cases. I actually support prosecuting adult crimes committed by kids as an adult crime. If someone was bold enough to do it & dumb enough to get bagged, screw 'em, live with the results. Be smart enough to pull off whatever you did or forever live w/the concequences. Thats the game. Felons do it everyday, age don't make you special if you decide to murder, rob, or deal. Cuts way down on student loan competetion, hard enough as it is. Go to school in prison, it's free.

Boricua

Unread post by Boricua » March 29th, 2005, 10:02 pm

Not the way i look, but the history is hard to get over. I have a person at the university who believes in me and helped me get a teaching job I'll start in late August. Its hard, when you have a record you pretty much just need to find someone out there who will stand by you and hook you up.

socprof1

Unread post by socprof1 » April 8th, 2005, 6:30 pm

I did time for Agg. Assault with a deadly weapon in Texas. I use to think that the people who came back to the pen five and six times were stupid, but I found out I was the stupid one. When I got out, no one wanted to give me a job. Jack-n-a-box wouldn't even hire me because they thought I would go in there and murder everybody. I finally got a job at a grocery store and did really well there but six months later some people from human resources called me to a meeting and told me they were reviewing thier employees and decided they did not want anyone with a violent history working there, so I couldn't work there anymore. I started volunteering with church groups and non-profit orgs. working with young gang members and troubled youth. I did great there and everybody liked me but when I started applying for jobs, they all said the law says we can't hire you or some other b.s. I had gotten an Associates degree while I was in prison, so I decided to go back to school. It was really hard because I didn't fit in with all the rich, white kids from cookie cutter worlds whose parents paid for the school, but I worked really hard and bonded with my professors. I told them about my history with gangs and prison and they overwhelingly supported me. I graduated with my Bachelor's degree Magna Cum Laude. They wanted me to stay on for my Master's and offered me a job as a graduate assistant. Now I am almost through with my master's and they think I should go on to my Ph.D. They said I could teach at the university when I come back. It is hard to find, but it feels good when you find people whose hearts aren't hardened and will give you a chance.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » April 8th, 2005, 7:19 pm

Ive had a hard time getting a job cuz my dreads. babylon doesnt approve the dread.