What Purpose Did Gangs Originally Serve?

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

kashious
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

What Purpose Did Gangs Originally Serve?

Unread post by kashious » March 15th, 2011, 11:24 am

Can anyone give me insight on this ? To whom do we owe this? There is a great deal of knowledge on this site and all
should be given the oppertunity to speak and voice themselves. I would like to thank Alex for creating such a awesome
site that gives us the outlet to speak the truths as we know it. I have been given such an oppertunity and would like for
all to bear with me as i am learning this new site in hopes that it will become a part of my world as is yours!!!

Kashious!

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: East Side Sacra

Re: What Purpose Did Gangs Originally Serve?

Unread post by MCD » May 15th, 2011, 2:19 pm

The primary purpose of gangs was for protection from other groups. Typically racist whites on minorities but if you look back to the 20's in the east coast, whites of different european decent also formed gangs. If you look back at the gangs from 30-40 years ago, some of them were mostly non-violent and just served as a social group for people who had little family structure or who didn't fit in with other groups. There's always been a degree of violence in your average street gang but it mostly became more severe when gangs started encroaching on each others turf and sought to control their local areas. From there it's kind of a domino affect.

sometimes its different, sometimes partners in crime form groups to help them in criminal activity.

High profits from drug trafficking, contract kililng, extortion, robbery, etc raised the stakes higher, to the point its at now, gangsters killing each other at the drop of a hat.

RomanoBundy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Somewhere... out there

Re: What Purpose Did Gangs Originally Serve?

Unread post by RomanoBundy » December 21st, 2013, 5:16 am

I read a book on the very beginnings of the gangs.
I don't really remember, but basically, black gangs started as a protection against some white group of people who were treating them badly. So they decided to unite themselves.
Of course, it quickly became a way to make money, so dealing, stealing,...
I guess hispanic gangs started as a protection against blacks (also whites probably), and asian gangs probably as a protection against the rest. If the original purpose had stayed, they would not be any other gangs maybe (hispanics were not threatened by black gangs defending themselves against whites for example), but all the crap that came later made it difficult.