Trayvon Martin killed becasue of his race?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Trayvon Martin killed becasue of his race?

Unread post by alexalonso » March 30th, 2012, 2:14 am

Can you convincingly make the point that Travon Martin was shot and killed by George Zimmerman because he was a black teen?

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Travon Martin killed becasue of his race?

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 1st, 2012, 7:40 am

alexalonso wrote:Can you convincingly make the point that Travon Martin was shot and killed by George Zimmerman because he was a black teen?
I'm not sure if I can convincingly make the point that Travon was killed because he was black, however I can share why I think that it was part of the reason. I have listened to the 911 tapes and it is evident by his tone, mannerisms and words that the only suspicious thing about Treyvon was that he was in the neighborhood and was black. Secondly, I was listening to the Steve Harvey Morning Show recently, and he was playing a recording where Zimmerman was heard calling Treyvon a Coon. If you consider the previously mentioned and my firm belief that this would not have happened if a young white man had been walking in the neighborhood , what other determination can be made?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 1st, 2012, 9:11 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:
alexalonso wrote:Can you convincingly make the point that Travon Martin was shot and killed by George Zimmerman because he was a black teen?
I'm not sure if I can convincingly make the point that Travon was killed because he was black, however I can share why I think that it was part of the reason. I have listened to the 911 tapes and it is evident by his tone, mannerisms and words that the only suspicious thing about Treyvon was that he was in the neighborhood and was black. Secondly, I was listening to the Steve Harvey Morning Show recently, and he was playing a recording where Zimmerman was heard calling Treyvon a Coon. If you consider the previously mentioned and my firm belief that this would not have happened if a young white man had been walking in the neighborhood , what other determination can be made?
I dont know about the Coon part, but I thing the 911 tape certainly exposes some stereo types that Zimmerman was relying on. He may not be racist, you thats hard to prove off one incident, but I believe he racially profiled Trayvon, and that made him more inclined to follow him when he should have never done that.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 11th, 2012, 12:07 pm

No I cannot. And I think its being hyped up for ulterior motives. Now they are bringing the UN in on it. Its definitely being politically driven more than anything else. Dont get me wrong, it is a tragedy and never should have gone down like it did and my heart aches for the child and his family.,

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 12th, 2012, 1:51 am

If you listen to 911 tape, he said that Trayvon was on drugs walking aimlessly through the complex.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 12th, 2012, 4:04 am

alexalonso wrote:If you listen to 911 tape, he said that Trayvon was on drugs walking aimlessly through the complex.
I'm assuming that's why law enforcement performed drug tests on Travon and not on Zimmerman. How would he know if he was on drugs or not?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 13th, 2012, 4:36 pm

I have a poll asking what will the result of the Zimmerman case be. Please visit the page and cast your vote on one of 6 possible outcomes that this case will have.

http://www.streetgangs.com/features/033 ... man-martin

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 13th, 2012, 8:41 pm

alexalonso wrote:If you listen to 911 tape, he said that Trayvon was on drugs walking aimlessly through the complex.

Heres a link to the tape of 911 calls, its 40 mins long

It has been hyped up for some reason and right now it seems to me a political agenda is the most logical motive. This isn't only the community crying "racism", this is the United Nations getting involved now.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas

Unread post by lachica69 » April 13th, 2012, 10:29 pm

It's just sad that everyone has to get involved on how this this case should be handled. We have laws and the laws should have done it's job. Arrested this guy in the first place. A life is lost, this kids parents are suffering, grieving yet they have to battle with justice in this day and age. He was definitely profiled bc of his race, and possibly Zimmerman may not be a racist just preconceived ideas about young brothers.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 13th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Stef1 wrote:It's just sad that everyone has to get invol Ed, voicecan opinion on how this should be handled. We have laws and the laws should have it's job. A life is lost, this kids parents are suffering, grieving yet they have to battle with justice in this day and age. He was definitely profiled bc of his race.
I beleive that Zimmerman profiled him because of his race, but that does not mean he was racist. But his preconceived notions of blacks and crime (listen to 911) caused him to follow an innocent teen.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Trayvon Martin killed becasue of his race?

Unread post by lachica69 » April 13th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Mr. Alonso, that sounds about right to me. We are on the same page.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 15th, 2012, 2:55 pm

alexalonso wrote:
Stef1 wrote:It's just sad that everyone has to get invol Ed, voicecan opinion on how this should be handled. We have laws and the laws should have it's job. A life is lost, this kids parents are suffering, grieving yet they have to battle with justice in this day and age. He was definitely profiled bc of his race.
I beleive that Zimmerman profiled him because of his race, but that does not mean he was racist. But his preconceived notions of blacks and crime (listen to 911) caused him to follow an innocent teen.
Its human nature to profile. I get profiled when I go to Compton, its a given that a persons race, appearance is going to cause them to be stereotyped. I say.....live with it, understand it and if a person doesnt want to be profiled, remove themselves whenever possible from the environments it will definitely be a problem. Doesn't completely avoid the issue but awareness helps if its going to be a problem. Or don't complain about it if you do put yourself in it. We ALL know cops profile......its a fact of life. Am I wrong?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 15th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
alexalonso wrote:
Its human nature to profile. I get profiled when I go to Compton, its a given that a persons race, appearance is going to cause them to be stereotyped. I say.....live with it, understand it and if a person doesnt want to be profiled, remove themselves whenever possible from the environments it will definitely be a problem. Doesn't completely avoid the issue but awareness helps if its going to be a problem. Or don't complain about it if you do put yourself in it. We ALL know cops profile......its a fact of life. Am I wrong?

U can't live w it if u r getting Killed over it.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 15th, 2012, 8:48 pm

[quote="Christina Marie
Its human nature to profile. I get profiled when I go to Compton, its a given that a persons race, appearance is going to cause them to be stereotyped. I say.....live with it, understand it and if a person doesnt want to be profiled, remove themselves whenever possible from the environments it will definitely be a problem. Doesn't completely avoid the issue but awareness helps if its going to be a problem. Or don't complain about it if you do put yourself in it. We ALL know cops profile......its a fact of life. Am I wrong? [/quote]

@ Christina Marie- What is your definition of profiling? And when you go to Compton, How are you being profiled? My understanding of profiling is when a person is perceived to be something other than what you are (primarily a criminal), solely because of your race. Respectfully and honestly, I have never heard of a white person being profiled. Do you mean that they perceive you as being law enforcement or something. I'm sure if Trayvon would have known that some crazy person who disliked black people would be patrolling that neighborhood, he would have avoided it. Please explain to me how he could have avoided that situation. More importantly, Zimmerman wasn't even law. To imply that you put yourself in a situation to be profiled does not seem credible to me. Help me understand how you know what environments are areas where you will be profiled? To me that is impossible.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 17th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Quepolo3 wrote:[quote="Christina Marie
@ Christina Marie- What is your definition of profiling? And when you go to Compton, How are you being profiled? My understanding of profiling is when a person is perceived to be something other than what you are (primarily a criminal), solely because of your race. Respectfully and honestly, I have never heard of a white person being profiled. Do you mean that they perceive you as being law enforcement or something. I'm sure if Trayvon would have known that some crazy person who disliked black people would be patrolling that neighborhood, he would have avoided it. Please explain to me how he could have avoided that situation. More importantly, Zimmerman wasn't even law. To imply that you put yourself in a situation to be profiled does not seem credible to me. Help me understand how you know what environments are areas where you will be profiled? To me that is impossible.[/quote]

I get pulled over because I am a white woman in primarily black/hispanic hood. What IS a white woman doing there? Is she there to bring drugs? Guns? I have had my vehicle searched, been detained and questioned because I didn't belong in the area according to the officers. So you are telling me that if a black dude, street dressed goes to an upper class primarily white neighborhood and a cop sees him, he isn't likely to be stopped and questioned just because he doesnt "look" like he belongs there? You know he would. And the same has happened to me in a "ghetto" area. I roll from one star to five stars and everything in between. So I HAVE seen the whole spectrum.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » April 17th, 2012, 2:45 pm

alexalonso wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
alexalonso wrote:

U can't live w it if u r getting Killed over it.
We have to "deal" with stuff everyday that we don't exactly care for. Conform to some extent to our environments, laws, expectations. That is life in this world. To be an accepted part of "society" we ALL have to make adjustments according to the laws of man....it all comes down to what we are willing to compromise and what we absolutely will not. True....all conflict cannot be avoided but we have a personal responsibility to ourselves, our loved ones in certain situations to do WHAT we can to avoid being singled out, targeted.

It all comes down to discretion. And even the powers that be don't use it as they should sometimes.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Quepolo3 » April 17th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Christina Marie wrote: I get pulled over because I am a white woman in primarily black/hispanic hood. What IS a white woman doing there? Is she there to bring drugs? Guns? I have had my vehicle searched, been detained and questioned because I didn't belong in the area according to the officers. So you are telling me that if a black dude, street dressed goes to an upper class primarily white neighborhood and a cop sees him, he isn't likely to be stopped and questioned just because he doesnt "look" like he belongs there? You know he would. And the same has happened to me in a "ghetto" area. I roll from one star to five stars and everything in between. So I HAVE seen the whole spectrum.
@ Christina- I appreciate the insight. However, I must say that I think your example is completely different than what happens to African Americans. You indicated that this happens to you in primarily black /hispanic hood, where you probably stood out and because of illegal activities happening in the area. What if you lived there? What if it happened in your own neighborhood, and not in areas that you are not from? There is no set factors for this to happen to black people. Yes, it's more likely to happen in areas where racial segregation is present but for us, it even happens in areas that are familiar to our own people. I'm pretty sure that the area where Trayvon was killed was not the Ghetto, and apparently there were African Americans living there because the father was visiting his girlfriend.
Additionally, there are many white kids that have adopted a gangster style of dress, and i bet they don't get profiled the same way African Americans and Hispanics are profiled.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » May 10th, 2012, 1:19 pm

we all do get profiled, but blacks are negatively profiled, not all the times but when whites are profiled being in a "ghetto" community it's partly for their own good, to get them out of that environment, it's safety for them, blacks are profiled and not for our safety but for the safety of others. that's the difference. Either way what your sayin is BS Christina, you're supposed to be Jewish, perhaps the most diligent minority group when it comes to stomping on others who are trying or seeking to hold them down or keep them in some messed up reality, why should blacks just settle down and deal with it?

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by H572DSTA » May 11th, 2012, 6:34 am

alexalonso wrote:
sorry but if you decide to follow somebody and assume that he is a criminal because of his skin color its racist to me

if you relate crime to black people, itz definatly a racist act

this case represents all the black teens that got killed by law inforcement over the years....ive seen friends getting shot at by police while they had they hands up....so what nobody cares about that so it was just a matter of time until it was enough

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » February 19th, 2013, 12:45 am

Zimmerman is going on trial this year.

MonkEastman
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Santa Rosa

Unread post by MonkEastman » July 16th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Whether or not he was racist, we'll never know. Although his myspace has surfaced with plenty of Multicult friends.
one thing I do want to point out from this case is that the media were the real evil here practicing yellow journalism and trying to cause riots and other issues.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » July 17th, 2013, 2:18 am

MonkEastman wrote:Whether or not he was racist, we'll never know. Although his myspace has surfaced with plenty of Multicult friends.
one thing I do want to point out from this case is that the media were the real evil here practicing yellow journalism and trying to cause riots and other issues.
if you gonna make an accusation like this, who? I been watching the media and didn't see that at all. Who?
- Anderson Cooper?
- Sean Hannity?
- Bill O'Reilly
- Jane Velez Mitchell?
- Nancy Grace
- Don Lemon

I have seen several networks and didnt see any many problems with the news reporting.

MonkEastman
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MonkEastman » July 17th, 2013, 9:17 am

I don't own a TV so I can pick and choose what I watch or read online. I seriously stopped watching anything to do with this case early on after seeing news reports that only showed pictures of a twelve year old, and tried to peg Zimmerman as White.
While simplistic this video gives the gist of what I saw right away, that the media was working on divisions rather then finding the truth.

MonkEastman
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MonkEastman » July 17th, 2013, 10:43 am

Alex, I don't read or post here very often. Gang life was a thing of the past for me, like over 30 years in the past and in a different country. I find it interesting what is going on today, but am an outsider and have little to ad to most posts. Since I might not come back to read for anywhere from a few days to a few months I'll post something a little more in depth then some amateur video.
I do follow the news, or at least some of the main media outlets mostly when I get online to check my emails. What I read ranges from Yahoo, Google, MSN, Huffington Post, Ha-Aretz, Jerusalem Post, Washington Post, BBC, etc. Like I said earlier I pick and choose what I read. Having been a member of the armed forces of two countries, I also read a lot on some military forums and some of the articles and blogs those guys post. Again, I pick and choose which ones I read.
As the founder of this site you can probably see what part of the country I live in. On New years we had a youth shot by a police officer in cold blood. I didn't know him, but know people who know him. Saw the video and saw the officer draw the weapon and fire. It was f-ed-up. Living where I live I saw quite a few news reports and saw nothing that put this guy at fault, the cop was an idiot. A BART cop is a glorified mall cop, not much more training. But he got over lightly.
When I first saw the Zimmerman/Trayvon news I thought of something similar. Saw pictures of a young innocent looking kid. But started noticing some of the photos where photoshopped. The more recent pictures started surfacing. Still not a thug like some portrayed him, more like a typical angst teen of divorced parents. But even after these photos came out I kept seeing the 12 year old pictures of Trayvon being used to headline articles. The race card being forced down our throat by the media (I've read some of your posts and know you don't do that), One Yahoo article went as far as wondering if Zimmerman was a member of the KKK.
I used to see a lot of posts by friends on social media about Monsanto, the Texas explosion, drones, loss of freedoms etc. Now all the social media posts came out focusing on Skittles and hoodies on one hand, to stand your ground ground laws on the other. As tragic as this may sound, the shooting should have stayed a Florida issue and not part of national news or at least not the media attention it got. And not some of the idiotic reports we got from both sides of the political spectrum.

MonkEastman
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MonkEastman » July 17th, 2013, 10:49 am

And yes we do see some serious news reports like you pointed out, but how many read those, and how many read the dumbed down ones that are little more then blogs? How many just look at the headline and the pictures?

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lachica69 » July 19th, 2013, 11:54 am

MonkEastman wrote:Alex, I don't read or post here very often. Gang life was a thing of the past for me, like over 30 years in the past and in a different country. I find it interesting what is going on today, but am an outsider and have little to ad to most posts. Since I might not come back to read for anywhere from a few days to a few months I'll post something a little more in depth then some amateur video.
I do follow the news, or at least some of the main media outlets mostly when I get online to check my emails. What I read ranges from Yahoo, Google, MSN, Huffington Post, Ha-Aretz, Jerusalem Post, Washington Post, BBC, etc. Like I said earlier I pick and choose what I read. Having been a member of the armed forces of two countries, I also read a lot on some military forums and some of the articles and blogs those guys post. Again, I pick and choose which ones I read.
As the founder of this site you can probably see what part of the country I live in. On New years we had a youth shot by a police officer in cold blood. I didn't know him, but know people who know him. Saw the video and saw the officer draw the weapon and fire. It was f-ed-up. Living where I live I saw quite a few news reports and saw nothing that put this guy at fault, the cop was an idiot. A BART cop is a glorified mall cop, not much more training. But he got over lightly.
When I first saw the Zimmerman/Trayvon news I thought of something similar. Saw pictures of a young innocent looking kid. But started noticing some of the photos where photoshopped. The more recent pictures started surfacing. Still not a thug like some portrayed him, more like a typical angst teen of divorced parents. But even after these photos came out I kept seeing the 12 year old pictures of Trayvon being used to headline articles. The race card being forced down our throat by the media (I've read some of your posts and know you don't do that), One Yahoo article went as far as wondering if Zimmerman was a member of the KKK.
I used to see a lot of posts by friends on social media about Monsanto, the Texas explosion, drones, loss of freedoms etc. Now all the social media posts came out focusing on Skittles and hoodies on one hand, to stand your ground ground laws on the other. As tragic as this may sound, the shooting should have stayed a Florida issue and not part of national news or at least not the media attention it got. And not some of the idiotic reports we got from both sides of the political spectrum.

You are so awesome! Why, you ask? Because for many reasons, one being you were honest in your view. Your thoughts and opinion are obvious that they are NOT driven by the media's hype nor by the next brother who is shouting "racism". I don't know your ethnicity and that shouldn't matter. Unfortunately, it seems that it does in the mass social world we live in. It is obvious that you cannot have an view on crime unless you are a person of color bc you haven't lived the life of tragedy or racism. Im not black, I am a foreigner who grew up in Los Angeles, and yes I have dealt with racism and race profiling from non blacks as well as Blacks. It does exist in all communities and race. You are correct, the case should have staye in Florida. There are so many crimes, violence, killings going on in many other places. But, when media puts a spin of racism on a case it goes viral. Shame on ppl for making one killing bigger than another. Our society need to stand up and be accountable for their own community!

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » August 2nd, 2013, 10:49 pm

the video didnt work, so i missed that one, and I dont think i would go as far to call the coverage eve, both side lied about info. People on the left tried to paint a squeekly clean image of Travon, and people on the right misinformed too. Sean Hannity is still saying George Zimmerman's nose was broken by Travon when the doctor said it was a bloody nose, not a broken. Is this all evil? I dont know.

MonkEastman
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by MonkEastman » September 30th, 2013, 1:44 am

@1 wrote:the video didnt work, so i missed that one, and I dont think i would go as far to call the coverage eve, both side lied about info. People on the left tried to paint a squeekly clean image of Travon, and people on the right misinformed too. Sean Hannity is still saying George Zimmerman's nose was broken by Travon when the doctor said it was a bloody nose, not a broken. Is this all evil? I dont know.
Sorry for the late response.
It's come out now that Treyvon's mother told him on the phone to watch out for that "cracker" he might rape him. Treyvon might have thought Zimmerman was a fag and beat the crap out of him. Zimmerman reacted by shooting him.
The forensics say Martin was on top of Zimmerman when he was shot.
But what you said about both sides of the media lying about sums it up. This is why I only casually followed the case. The media was trying to nail this guy calling him first White, then a White Hispanic ignoring Zimmerman's one African grandparent totally. What should have been focused on was the evidence. The sadness that a 17 year old who probably wasn't a bad kid was dead.