Rayford "Sidewinder" Miles (1957-2016), 83 Gangster Crip founder

There is a rich history in our urban streets and many articles and documentaries are discussing these guys. Post your thoughts here about those O/Gs, Veteranos and other historical figures from the past.
calle83

Rayford "Sidewinder" Miles (1957-2016), 83 Gangster Crip founder

Unread post by calle83 » September 11th, 2006, 6:16 am

What bout him ?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » September 12th, 2006, 11:09 am

OG 83 GANGSTA FOUNDING FATHER OF THE WEST SIDE

calle83

Unread post by calle83 » September 13th, 2006, 6:13 am

i know he s founding father of the 83 gangstas.
but when was that exactly?
he was westside crip before he created the subset 83 ?
which subsets came before ? 107s?

i read that tooky didnt created the 107s just overtook them? is that right?
Did sidewinder and took hang arround?

E the Magnificent
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by E the Magnificent » September 13th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Sidewinder founded Eight Tray Gangster Crip. Monster Kody speaks on him in his book.

grundy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Rayford "Sidewinder" Miles

Unread post by grundy » May 31st, 2012, 10:07 am

Leader of the 8-Trays stallwart soldier.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Re: Rayford "Sidewinder" Miles

Unread post by Quepolo3 » May 31st, 2012, 1:50 pm

Is he still around?

dinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dinky » June 11th, 2012, 9:01 am

Yeah he was just on a documentary about the crips a few weeks ago.

RonaldJames
If in the United States: Wyoming
What city do you live in now?: the Hague

Unread post by RonaldJames » December 8th, 2013, 2:58 am

Could it be that he is, or was, working at St. Andrews Park Recreation Center as Assistant Director ?
It is in 83 territory and his name came up in this article :

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jan/20/local/me-23857

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » September 13th, 2014, 6:08 pm

dinky wrote:Yeah he was just on a documentary about the crips a few weeks ago.
Has anyone seen this video? I just met Rayford recently for the first time. He is doing well.

jeff
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jeff » September 14th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Yes,it's from kurt sutter's show Outlaw Empires: Crips episode

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » September 18th, 2014, 3:42 am

were could we find that kurt sutter's show Outlaw Empires crips ? in youtube there is nothing

jeff
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jeff » September 18th, 2014, 6:58 pm

here ya go

http://www.videoweed.es/file/3e2f238d929fc

make sure to click the x on the advertisement,and then press play on the media player underneath it.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » September 19th, 2014, 5:58 am

thank you so much bro !!!

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » September 19th, 2014, 7:15 am

makes me think about this too:

Revolutionary Greetings This Sanyika Shakur im releasing this statement to All ETG and August

3rd collective comrads Kershaun Demarco Scott aka Lil Monster, born 7-31-65, is an informant.

He told on Chico (Omar Dent) for a murder robbery in 1987. Tamu, my first wife was there when

he called the police. If anyone has doubts, they can contact me here, or Tiny Diamond. He is also

a rapist. He raped my niece Tamara Orso repeatedly. Ask my daughter Keonda. He also sexually

assaulted Tamu and said it was an affair. He is no longer Lil Monster, nor is he from the set. He is

hooked on Vicodin and Oxycodone, got his girl Jasmin Turner took by Jason "Nutty Brain! and we

think that he told on this last indictment. Big Bunchy,one of the founders of the set, also knows

that he's a rat and so does Big Tracc. No homies wont even give that buster a strap. I ran him out

of my spot and he is homeless now. He called my P.O. and got me locked up on this case. He

also sexually assaulted my brother Kerwin's former girlfriend and tried to rape Big China's

daughter. Dude is a real dirt bag. All factions of the turf, in every state, should be aware that he is

no good and they can check with me here, Big Hunchy, Tiny Diamond, Big Chico, my niece, my

daughter and my brother Kerwin. No one in Our family fucks with him. He's a rat,informant and

rapist. And we got the paperwork to prove it, Any questions holler. And he can't fight a lick. The

only reason aint no one took his wind was because he was my brother. But facts are facts. He's a

rapist and a rat. All ETG and comrads fall back on this cat heres some of the questions i asked

prior to our incident 1.Why you tell on Chico? 2. Why you rape our niece? 3. Why our brother

Kerwin beat you up? 4.Why no one in the family mess with you? 5. Why you aint do nothing when

Big Hunchy called you a snitch? 6. Why Nutty Brain took Jasmin? 7. Why did you steal that weed

out of Mad Dog's house? 8. Why Big Tracc don't fuck with you? 9. Why you wanted me to sex

your girl? 10. Why you aint never been to prison? 11. Why you can't fight? 12. Why your book

never got published? 13. Why the hood wont give you a burner? 14. Why you aint do nothing

when Baby Monster got smoked? 15. How long you been hooked on Vicodin? 16. Why i got all

your paperwork? 17. Why everybody else got indicted but you? 18. Why Bigg Tracc call you a

snitch? 19. Where you get that truck from? 20. Why you best friends with the FBI in Baltimore?

21. Why you homeless? 22. Why your son hate you so much he turned Rollin 60's? 23. Why if

you 48, you look 56? 24. Why you suicidal but scared to kill yourself? 25. Why you assault our

mother? 26. Why you can't sleep? 27. Why your daughter try to kill herself? 28. Why Big Mad Dog

kick you off the set in Y.A.? 29. Why you let Kountry from Outlaw 20's take your radio in Nellis?

30. Why you jealous of me, kerwin & Samir? 31. Why everyone around you go to prison but you?

32. Why Big Jay Dog stop messin with you? 33. Why all you mess is prostitutes? 34. Why if you

been out all these years you aint got nothing? 35. Why you lie like you knew Tookie? 36. Why you

do Fish Bone and China's daughter like that? 37. Why was your room like that? 38. Why you got

such bad luck? 39. Why every woman been with hate you? 40. Why you can't do one push up?

42. Why you so depressed? 43. Why you still breathing? 44. Why you wear a T hat? 45. Why

Bone don't mess with you no more? 46. Why you got all that gray hair? 47. Why you the ugliest in

the family? 48. Why you tell on Big Al Capone, Lil GC, Big Rattone, Lil Capone & Tray Bone? 49.

Why you lie and say it was a letter they found when you knew you told? 50. Why Danita,Tracy

Hayes, Reina & Rita don't mess with you? 51. Why you rape Regina? 52. Why Keonda hang up in

your face when i passed you the phone? 53. Why Jazmin leave you? 54. Why you aint done

nothing since the 80's? 55. Why your body look like that? 56. Where's the rest of the money from

your lawsuit? 57. Why are you in fear of me getting out? 58. Why you call my P.O. and have me

locked up? 59. Why when i smashed you, you didn't fight back? 60. Why you tell on everyone

over the phone? 61. How since you broke, your phone is always on? 62. Why you never come to

Turf meetings? 63. Why you tell on Big Goofy? 64. Who are you- for real? Cause you are an

informant & a rapist & a coward, Kershaun. That's why!!! You can go to san diego jails click whos

in jail put my info in and email me if you have questions or wait till im released in black August

Asante

Free the Land! Sanyika "Monster Kody" Shakur Kody Scott #13744898 Vista Detention Center 325 S. Melrose Dr. Ste.#200 Vista,Ca. 92081-669

Glad to hear he back on the streets

Re.Nationalism &Street Orgs(2) - YouTube

dinky
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by dinky » October 15th, 2014, 9:18 am

It's interesting that Chico Dent only gets a passing mention in Monsters book. Given that he had been jailed twice for shooting deaths, had been shot himself on more than one occasion, and was a notorious Eight Tray. Possibly he doesn't get mentioned out of embarrassment that Kody's brother had grassed him for a murder?

cribby1983
What city do you live in now?: Magdeburg - MoVal

Unread post by cribby1983 » October 1st, 2016, 11:48 am

R.I.P.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 1st, 2016, 8:14 pm

RIP Rayford. He died this morning of cancer.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 1st, 2016, 8:18 pm

Attachments
rip-ray.jpg
rip-ray.jpg (627.46 KiB) Viewed 17408 times

attila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: amsterdam

Unread post by attila » April 2nd, 2017, 11:43 am

Sidewinder's Last Ride - Rayford Miles, "The Savior of St. Andrews Park", Is Laid To Rest
October 15, 2016
"So let the sideshow begin,... Hurry, hurry, step right on in...Can't afford to pass it by.. Guaranteed to make you cry" - 1974 R & B tune "Sideshow" by Blue Magic

There were two monumental funerals in the Southland this past week, one on Thursday and one on Friday. One was for a white active cop and one was for a black former street gang leader. One arrested people for violent crimes for many years, the other was arrested for violent crimes many years ago. One was shot to death, execution style, the other died of cancer of the stomach.

They appeared, on the surface, to be about as opposite as two 50-something year-old humans could be in Southern California.

But, the bizarre thing about these two men is that they were very much alike and I believe if they had the chance to meet each – at least in the 21st Century – they would have worked for a common cause, a cause they were both dedicated to; the well-being of young people. The copper and the gangsta mighta even been friends, or at least comrades in the never-ending struggle to help the disadvantaged youth.

Now, just about everyone in town knows about Steve Owen, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s sergeant who was shot to death Oct. 5 while pursuing a burglar in Lancaster. Tales of him helping the downtrodden, of driving kids to school and making sure they had lunch money have been well-documented. His funeral was shown live on local television station who interrupted soap operas to broadcast it.

Unfortunately, not as many people – at least outside of the Westside of South-Central - knew about Rayford "Sidewinder" Miles, whose funeral Friday afternoon drew almost as many thousands of mourners as did Owen’s and should have been broadcast live, too.

So here’s to Rayford Miles, the co-founder of what became the 8 Trey Gangster Crips who himself transformed into "The Savior of St. Andrews Park" who died on Oct. 1st of stomach cancer.

How could, you might ask, the co-founder of one of the most notorious street gangs in the United States be remotely aligned or compared to a cop in someplace called Antelope Valley? Read on and I’ll tell you how.

Rayford John Miles was born on Dec. 5, 1957 in Detroit, but by age three was living on the Eastside of the Southside of Los Angeles, around Main Street and Florence. He was by a sweet, loving child who relished putting together model cars, playing and watching sports and was a big fan of the local teams; the Dodgers, the Rams and the Lakers. He was also a “mama’s boy”.

Back in the day, Sidewinder woulda probably kicked my ass from St. Andrews Park to Florence and Normandie if I ever called him a “Mama’s boy”, but his older sister Cynthia Miles Davis could get away with it, so I’ll put that claim on her.

“He was a mama’s boy,” said Cynthia, who spoke eloquently of her younger brother at Friday’s funeral at West Angeles Church of God in Christ on Crenshaw near 30th Street. “I would tell him that, even when he was older. He'd tell me "I'm not a little boy anymore, I'm a grown man." I'm seven years older than Rayford, so I really didn't know his other side of him, because I got married and moved away,"

Judson Bacot, an original Westside Crip, said that when he went away to prison - for his role in the infamous 1972 “leather jacket murder” of Robert Ballou, Jr. at the Hollywood Palladium - Rayford “was a boy playing sports in the park”

But, by the time Bacot was released 11 years later, Rayford had become “Sidewinder” and was “a for real Crip.” He was given his nickname by two legends, "Big Hunchie" and Melvin "Skull" Farmer, because the way his mouth went to the side when he talked or smiled. Or looked hard.

(Out of respect, I went to visit Rayford at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center a few weeks before he died and I got a dose of the "hard" and "soft" side of Sidewinder. He wanted me to take a photo of him and put on Facebook to show his loved ones he was still battling. The first two photos, he had his thumb up and a fierce look. Even though the disease had taken close to 100 pounds away from his fighting weight, he still had the scowl. I suggested maybe he could smile for the next photo. He did. I showed him the three photos and he pointed to the smiling shot and said "That one.")

He had “hands” and a charisma that enabled him to connect with many people. But, by then, the original intent of the Crips, at least as espoused by the gang’s founder, Raymond Washington, to protect communities, had fractured.

Very briefly – without getting too far from Sidewinder’s funeral - when the original Westside Crips split up into various factions – most notably the Hoover Crips, Rollin’ 60 Crips and Original Westside Gangster Crips (which became the 8 Trey Gangsters - the sets got along. These were the days when Crips factions only beefed with various Bloods gangs. But, in 1979, said to be on March 8th, the shootings and killing began amongst Crip factions.

Since then, the street battles between 60s and Eight Trey have been among the deadliest in Los Angeles, if not America. .So, at the funeral, it was a sign of upmost respect when some veteran Rollin’ 60s showed up to pay their respect to Sidewinder.

"You don't find better people than Side," said original Rollin' 60 member Baby Face, who mulled about the church lobby with other 60s and Eighty Treys ."I have the up-most respect for him. He brought people together. Look around. I hope the younger people can learn from him."

Another triple OG 60 said the same.

"I love him," said Robert "Slu" Addison. "Regardless of the beef between the two hoods, he was my friend."

Melvin Farmer, who with Shirley Matthews and the love of Rayford's life, Erika Gray, was at his side when he died, said he hoped the outpouring of respect would spread throughout the city. "We need to all come together."

The funeral began with two scripture readings, one for the Old Testament, Psalms 23, and one from the New Testament, Peter 5. His obituary was read by Sil' Verr Loudermill and then a video was played.

Kleenex, the tissue company, did a very brisk business at Rayford’s funeral, especially during that video tribute which played Blue Magic’s 1974 hit “Sideshow” as background music. When the lyrics at the top of this story rang out, there were some dry eyes in the church, but not very many. It’s always a memorable scene when men with 18-inch biceps who’ve done 18 years in Folsom or Pelican Bay or Susanville get teary-eyed.

After the video, heeding Rayford's last command, only two people spoke, a godson and a reverend.

Reverend Joyce Reece Kitchen told the mourners that just because Rayford had died, did not mean his good work did, too.

“Alexander Graham Bell has long been in the grave, but the phone still rings. Thomas Edison is also buried, but the light still shines. And Rayford’s positive influences cannot be erased. Tomorrow, each of you should be Rayford to a child in need. If we all do that, Rayford Miles’ legacy will live on.”

Rayford's godson, Philip Wiley, Sr., said he got lucky when his parents moved near the St. Andrews Park when he was a kid.

“We don’t get to choose where our parents move to, but in 1969 I was blessed to move to 83rd and St. Andrews,” said Wiley. “My parents didn’t know it because they died, but they moved me next to my guardian angel."

Wiley spoke lovingly of Rayford’s tough exterior and tender heart.

“He tried to have this mean front, but when you got to know him, he was the nicest man you’ve ever known. He taught me everything I needed to know about being a man. I was a knucklehead and he gave me a chance. Thanks to him, I earned a college degree. Three degrees. He was not only the best man at my wedding, be was the best man in my life.

"When Rayford got out [of prison] I was all turnt up and ready for action.“ said Wiley. “But, Rayford said ‘No. We’re gonna change the whole thing at the park.’ Now, this is a park no one in the city wanted to go to. No one. Except the homies.”

But, under Rayford’s guidance and leadership, people, mainly kids, started going to St. Andrews Park and, well, making it what a park is meant to be. A place to play, a place to relax. It wasn’t unusual for 250 kids to be at St. Andrews Park.

“I hope tomorrow the homies pull in some kid, just like Side pulled me in," Wiley said.

The entire crowd suddenly rose as one and shattered the quiet of the church with a thunderous ovation.

There weren’t any children playing in St. Andrews Park on Friday afternoon. Some were at the funeral. Some were home. But, today, Saturday, you can bet your last $83 dollars St. Andrews Park will be alive and well.

Thanks to Rayford Miles. T,.I. P. Sidewinder.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Re: Rayford "Sidewinder" Miles, 83 Gangster Crip founder

Unread post by alexalonso » May 8th, 2017, 5:36 pm

obituary
Attachments
IMG_5165-obit2.jpg
IMG_5165-obit2.jpg (381.59 KiB) Viewed 14741 times