When did the style change?

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
MaximumCarnage
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

When did the style change?

Unread post by MaximumCarnage » October 26th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Reachin out to all the Vets here who've been alive long enough to see the change...The old school cholo wore pendletons, tucked in shirts, chinos, and had slick-backed hair. Then at some point in time the slick backed hair look died out. In came sunglasses, shaved heads, and sports jerseys. Around what years did Hispanic gangs start changing their style? What incited the fashion change? Did the way the clothes evolve in any way connect to the way banging evolved?

shaolinmonche
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Santa Ana

Re: When did the style change?

Unread post by shaolinmonche » October 26th, 2018, 9:32 pm

A veterano from Hawaiian Gardens told me he been shaving his head since the 80s but it didn't become a fad until like 92-93ish

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » October 26th, 2018, 11:45 pm

shaolinmonche wrote:A veterano from Hawaiian Gardens told me he been shaving his head since the 80s but it didn't become a fad until like 92-93ish
It became a fad among the surenos around 1993, after one of the mexican mafia godfathers passed away from cancer, Joe "Pegleg" Morgan, He was bald, and after he passed away, surenos were shaving there heads bald to pay respect to him, he helped pave the way to what the Mexican Mafia is today, and it was the least they could do.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » October 29th, 2018, 6:58 pm

yoda100 wrote:
shaolinmonche wrote:A veterano from Hawaiian Gardens told me he been shaving his head since the 80s but it didn't become a fad until like 92-93ish
It became a fad among the surenos around 1993, after one of the mexican mafia godfathers passed away from cancer, Joe "Pegleg" Morgan, He was bald, and after he passed away, surenos were shaving there heads bald to pay respect to him, he helped pave the way to what the Mexican Mafia is today, and it was the least they could do.
i was shaving my head back in the early 80s too, i went from long stoner hair, to medium lenght hair parted in the middle 70s style before adjusting it short and slicked back but in order to set your hair, you had to dhave it snd start molding it. All i know is that some, not most, would shave thr head snd wear the bandana wrapped around the whole skull. I think both the prison system and sports contributed greatly to the bald head style coming of age at the end of the 1980s ??? imo

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » October 30th, 2018, 1:04 pm

I know the stereotypical "cholo look" that people do in movies and for Halloween costumes continued into the 90's. I'm guessing it died out sometime in the 90's...

That look lasted a long time too with changes throughout the decades -- I'm guessing its origins are from the Pachuco era. Like cholos obviously weren't wearing zoot suits in the 70's or 80's, but the baggy pants pulled high with the fedora hats probably was the leftover style from the Pachucos...

Question:

In today in 2018, if you're from a Hispanic gang and you decide to roll through the varrio with your pants pulled up over your belly button with your shirt tucked in, a Pendleton with one button, and a hairnet over slicked back greasy hair, would you get clowned on?

AmericanZombie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inland Empire

Unread post by AmericanZombie » October 30th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Yes, you get clowned on. This generation doesn’t dress like that. The bald headed look went out of fashion with the teens and early 20’s. Lots of them are even growing out long hair.

playermadecholo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Texas
What city do you live in now?: houston

Unread post by playermadecholo » December 5th, 2018, 3:42 am

Interesting. It was the same way in Houston. The original cholo style got replaced by the 90s style but instead of bald head it was bald fade.

playermadecholo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Texas
What city do you live in now?: houston

Unread post by playermadecholo » December 5th, 2018, 3:43 am

AmericanZombie wrote:Yes, you get clowned on. This generation doesn’t dress like that. The bald headed look went out of fashion with the teens and early 20’s. Lots of them are even growing out long hair.

How do the youngsters dress now? They dont do the cholo style anymore.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » December 5th, 2018, 3:59 pm

playermadecholo wrote:
AmericanZombie wrote:Yes, you get clowned on. This generation doesn’t dress like that. The bald headed look went out of fashion with the teens and early 20’s. Lots of them are even growing out long hair.

I usually see Mexican bangers wearing tall white tees with those plaid baggy shorts that look something like this:

shaolinmonche
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Santa Ana

Unread post by shaolinmonche » December 6th, 2018, 8:57 am

playermadecholo wrote:

What age are you no longer considered a "youngster" in the hood?

zamolyas
If in the United States: Maryland
What city do you live in now?: Aizawl

Unread post by zamolyas » December 15th, 2018, 9:39 am

I like the cholos look of the 80’s and early 90’s

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”