No Black or White Wife for Will Smith in HITCH

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Anonymous20

No Black or White Wife for Will Smith in HITCH

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 3rd, 2005, 4:01 pm

This was sent to me from a friend.
------------------------------------------

WILL WASN’T ALLOWED BLACK WIFE

IN ‘HITCH’: Studio feared black or white

actress would be a problem.

*Will Smith told MSNBC.com that the

role of his love interest in "Hitch" was given

to a Latina actress because the suits at Sony

Pictures, which released the film, feared

the public wouldn’t be comfortable with

either a white or black actress.

Smith said having a black couple would

hold no interest to international audiences,

while a white/black relationship would have

offended moviegoers here in the States.

"There's sort of an accepted myth that

if you have two black actors, a male and a

female, in the lead of a romantic comedy,

that people around the world don't want to

see it," Smith told the British paper the

“Birmingham Post.” "We spend $50-something

million making this movie, and the studio

would think that was tough on their

investment. So the idea of a black actor

and a white actress comes up -- that'll

work around the world, but it's a problem

in the U.S."

Mendes was cast because a black/Latina

combo is not considered taboo anywhere,

according to the studio.

buck
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: No Black or White Wife for Will Smith in HITCH

Unread post by buck » March 3rd, 2005, 4:07 pm

I guess that's why they paired Denzel with a latina in Training Day and Halle Berry with a latino in Catwoman. It's funny how these same movies execs never have a problem pairing a black woman or latina woman with a white man in a lead role.

K1LLJOY
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by K1LLJOY » March 3rd, 2005, 8:38 pm

all this sh-t is sad and depressing

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » March 3rd, 2005, 9:58 pm

buck wrote:I guess that's why they paired Denzel with a latina in Training Day
Yea. the same latina. Eva Mendez is f*ckin HOTTT.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 5th, 2005, 11:55 pm

THAT B!TCH IS WHITE

SO BASICALLY THEY SAYING SHE NOT WHITE ENUFF TO BE WHITE AND DEFINATELY NOT BLACK CAUSE SHE S LATINA? THATS B.S

AMERICA IS GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH THIS LATINA(RACE) MADNESS!

BobBarker
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BobBarker » March 6th, 2005, 2:11 am

^^^i agree 100%

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » March 6th, 2005, 5:02 am

I really dont think the race of the wife will impact the success of the movie.

Individual
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Individual » March 6th, 2005, 5:59 am

Invincible wrote:I really dont think the race of the wife will impact the success of the movie.
If you think about it ..it will

I dunno..If it was a black couple..it wouldnt attract other races of people to see it..

if it was a white and black....well..I dont know any white girls that could play a role like that..eva mendez or what ever her name is..did a good job in this movie

mamlook
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mamlook » March 6th, 2005, 6:26 am

Yeah race of her would impact the movie...Would u imagine how much the movie bad boys would be different if they replaced martin lawrence with some white guy or latino?

Anyways Im glad it was Eva...With her, the movie was prolly more appealing to a wider audiance. That movie was #1 for a while.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » March 6th, 2005, 10:54 am

100 wrote:THAT B!TCH IS WHITE

SO BASICALLY THEY SAYING SHE NOT WHITE ENUFF TO BE WHITE AND DEFINATELY NOT BLACK CAUSE SHE S LATINA? THATS B.S

AMERICA IS GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH THIS LATINA(RACE) MADNESS!
yeah whatever

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 10:58 am

most whites in amerikkka dont want to see a black man with a white woman.Thats thier worst fear.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 11:15 am

blackmanofhonor wrote:most whites in amerikkka dont want to see a black man with a white woman.Thats thier worst fear.
yup. thats my biggest fear. i am so scared of that. when i see black men with white women i always get scared and try to take her away for her saftey. /sarcasm

honestly its stupid when you have to limit what you want to do because of racist assholes. mike myers was with beyonce in austinpowers, why cant will smith be with a white girl in this movie, if thats what they wanted to? nobody would complain or bitch except for a few assholes. 1.its a movie 2.some people wont care, some others will just think its weird 3.only a small few will try to make some noise about it.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 11:27 am

ahhh se11...notice I said most,not all.Most white men dont want thier daughters bringing home a black man,and most dont want to see a brother with a white woman on a movie.This is why you dont see black men and white women with romantic roles in movies.Throughout history,white men have been ok with them being with black women,from thomas jefferson to nowadays.But a black men with a white woman......thats not something they want to accept.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » March 6th, 2005, 11:29 am

thats true but it works both ways, ive caught shit from black and latino guys for being with a mixed black/latina girl, and i have caught hell from black ladies too, so its no different man, ppl will care either way

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 1:54 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:ahhh se11...notice I said most,not all.Most white men dont want thier daughters bringing home a black man,and most dont want to see a brother with a white woman on a movie.This is why you dont see black men and white women with romantic roles in movies.Throughout history,white men have been ok with them being with black women,from thomas jefferson to nowadays.But a black men with a white woman......thats not something they want to accept.
i think most dont want their daughters bringing home a black guy that dresses like a gang banger or thug. i don't think as many would care if they brought home a black guy that didn't act and dress like a thug or gang banger. just something to think about. my little cousin is a white girl and alot of times i meet whoever shes with. if she was with a black guy, i wouldn't care as long as he looked like he would treat her good, which is the same way i look at everybody else she is with.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 6th, 2005, 2:46 pm

se11 wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:ahhh se11...notice I said most,not all.Most white men dont want thier daughters bringing home a black man,and most dont want to see a brother with a white woman on a movie.This is why you dont see black men and white women with romantic roles in movies.Throughout history,white men have been ok with them being with black women,from thomas jefferson to nowadays.But a black men with a white woman......thats not something they want to accept.
i think most dont want their daughters bringing home a black guy that dresses like a gang banger or thug. i don't think as many would care if they brought home a black guy that didn't act and dress like a thug or gang banger. just something to think about. my little cousin is a white girl and alot of times i meet whoever shes with. if she was with a black guy, i wouldn't care as long as he looked like he would treat her good, which is the same way i look at everybody else she is with.
if bryant gumble came to your door in a 3 piece suit holding your daughter's hand i truly doubt youd still look past his skin color. Youre funny man...check out some movies like GUESS WHOS COMING TO DINNER with Sindey Portier or JUNGLE FEVER by spike lee. they speak on alot of racial issues

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:46 pm

how exactly do you dress like a thug?baggy jeans,sneakers,a base ball jersey and a hat?

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 2:48 pm

purplecityhello wrote:
se11 wrote:
if bryant gumble came to your door in a 3 piece suit holding your daughter's hand i truly doubt youd still look past his skin color. Youre funny man...check out some movies like GUESS WHOS COMING TO DINNER with Sindey Portier or JUNGLE FEVER by spike lee. they speak on alot of racial issues
it depends how he presented himself. if he was like "yo yo yo wassup my bitches daddy" i would tell him to get the fuck out. if he came in and was like "hey watsup, im bryant. i've really like being with your daughter" i wouldn't have a problem with it.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 2:50 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:how exactly do you dress like a thug?baggy jeans,sneakers,a base ball jersey and a hat?
well if a black kid was dating my daughter and he came over with red bandanas in his pockets, a shirt nine times too big, and jeans that were lower than his ass, i would look at him as a thug. baggy pants, jeans, sneakers, a baseball jersey, and hat, would be fine as long as he presented good

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 6th, 2005, 2:52 pm

se11 wrote:
purplecityhello wrote:
se11 wrote:
it depends how he presented himself. if he was like "yo yo yo wassup my women daddy" i would tell him to get the fu-- out. if he came in and was like "hey watsup, im bryant. i've really like being with your daughter" i wouldn't have a problem with it.
its easy to say, but im sure youd prefer a white kid in baggy "black" clothes over a well kept intelligent young black man. keep it real with me and ill keep it real with you..... my daughter knows better than to bring a white boy into my house (shes 3) but yeah you know what i mean haha

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 2:54 pm

lol se11 youre not fooling anyone.keep it real.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 2:57 pm

you dont believe that if my daughter really loved a black kid, i wouldn't let her do it. as long as my daughter can respect her self, and he could respect her, i wouldn't mind. what do you think, i'm a fucking redneck from texas?

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 3:08 pm

white americans period are known for being racist,a white man from texas is just as likely to be racist as a white man from NYC.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 3:12 pm

how do you know? i've met whites from the south when i went down to alabama. they are much different than whites in NYC.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 3:13 pm

because 50% of black men are unemployed in NYC,in NYC if your name sounds black youre 50% less likely to be called in for an interview.That means there are alot of racist whites in NYC.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 3:15 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:because 50% of black men are unemployed in NYC,in NYC if your name sounds black youre 50% less likely to be called in for an interview.That means there are alot of racist whites in NYC.
where did you get that from?

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 6th, 2005, 3:23 pm

se11 wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:because 50% of black men are unemployed in NYC,in NYC if your name sounds black youre 50% less likely to be called in for an interview.That means there are alot of racist whites in NYC.
he got it from you, you were the one who posted that stat...son

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 3:23 pm

go to the white teachers teaching black history thread.Its in there.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 6th, 2005, 3:24 pm

when it comes to racism,se11 sure does have a short memory span.lol

PS1979
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PS1979 » March 6th, 2005, 3:28 pm

dont matter where a black man goes in the US...contempt for blacks is everywhere!
same with mexicans etc......
that shouldnt no surprise though.

But yeah im surprised they didnt pair will with an asian lady, thats seem to be all the rage right now, black men pillaging asian women

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 6th, 2005, 3:30 pm

PS1979 wrote:dont matter where a black man goes in the US...contempt for blacks is everywhere!
same with mexicans etc......
that shouldnt no surprise though.

But yeah im surprised they didnt pair will with an asian lady, thats seem to be all the rage right now, black men pillaging asian women
damn pillaging is such a strong choice of words.....but i wouldnt mind a lil lucy liu ;) ... Big up to Wesley Snipes

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 6th, 2005, 3:38 pm

purplecityhello wrote:
se11 wrote:
he got it from you, you were the one who posted that stat...son
so because 50% are employed that means you got a 1/2 shot of getting called for an interview? even if they were going to turn you down for being black, usually they have to see that you are first....son