VON DUTCH

Discuss Asian and White gangs in Los Angeles County.
BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

VON DUTCH

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » April 21st, 2004, 9:34 am

Just read an article in LOS ANGELES magazine, about who this cat was. Well, turns out it was a nice lil historical piece upon LA. This guy VON DUTCH, who you now see printed on clothing that all the trendy hollywood stars are wearing, was a famous pinstriper/machinist out of LA. He was eccentric and always followed the beat of his own drum. Well, turns out he was born in the 1930's off Alameda & Slauson, went to Compton High, grew up in Maywood, joined the River Rats motorcycle club of the 50's...and was a nazi racist.

The article went on to speak about the man's eccentricity when it came to him building custom motorcycles, custom autos, etc. His famous insignia is the flying eyeball. His pinstriping work was that of the best, along with Big Daddy Ron who was able to commercialize it. They did much of the work out here in Los Angeles during those times, and it still influences people to this day. He joined the Army but got kicked out. And the dude was an alcoholic, broke, had 3 wives and only 2 kids. He learned how to play the flute and saxophone, due to his love of jazz music that was prevalent up and down LA at the time.

Anyhow, the article went on to say that Compton, Maywood, Bell, South Gate were the flats where all the kids would race their cars or bikes...and it was predominantly white then in the 40's/50's. Mike Davis is an LA historian, I'm going to check out more on what he has uncovered....but I thought the article on VON DUTCH was interesting...so many young cats out there sporting his name on TSHIRTS or HATS and don't even know that he's a racist...LOL...
Last edited by BIG DUSTY LOCO on April 27th, 2004, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: VON DUTCH

Unread post by wcrockets » April 21st, 2004, 12:17 pm

Haha.. I didn't have a clue either.

mr 503
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mr 503 » April 27th, 2004, 1:53 pm

YEA THATS WHY I DONT WEAR ALL THE MAIN STREAM SHIT. KEEP IT JEANS OR KHAKIS WITH THE WHITE TEE.

Azn Gook
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Azn Gook » May 2nd, 2004, 8:08 am

same styll

86OG

Unread post by 86OG » May 4th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Where did you read this article? Because the VON DUCH (Mainstream) is only in his 30's and i saw him on an interview a few weeks ago on Entertainment tonight. The SAME VD that has all the hats etc, the CEO, FOUNDER. He wasn't born in the US< he was born in Europe, dude looks like Fabio. Weird.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » May 5th, 2004, 1:59 pm

It was an article in LOS ANGELES MAGAZINE. Right now the daughter of the original VON DUTCH name is fighting with the VON DUTCH business owners, who actually have ownership of the name due to von dutch signing his stuff over to them in his old senility.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » May 5th, 2004, 2:32 pm

The current VonDutch company basically ressurected the old Von Dutch trademark for trendy fasion. The original VonDutch was an underground artist and motorcycle/racing freak.

KAYDEE
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by KAYDEE » May 5th, 2004, 7:56 pm

THIS * BLEEP* IS SAD......

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » May 7th, 2004, 2:31 pm

People need to do there research on things, lol reading that and seeing all them rich ass folks and rappers wearing the clothes makes me laugh. Makes them look real dumb, that open my eyes.

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » May 7th, 2004, 10:27 pm

Big Dusty has it right. Von Dutch was a racist, but what white person in those days wasn't? I mean you gotta understand, this social experiment of multi-racial society aint nothing new. It always falls apart. He was probebly of the bigot variety racist, meaning not so bright. Hey Von Dutch is a white thing, bout time whites stopped trying to be black. And Im sure none of the stars know that dudes history.

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » May 8th, 2004, 3:35 am

AcmeWhiteBread wrote:Big Dusty has it right. Von Dutch was a racist, but what white person in those days wasn't? I mean you gotta understand, this social experiment of multi-racial society aint nothing new. It always falls apart. He was probebly of the bigot variety racist, meaning not so bright. Hey Von Dutch is a white thing, bout time whites stopped trying to be black. And Im sure none of the stars know that dudes history.
Agree.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » May 11th, 2004, 1:30 pm

Funniest thing I saw here was blacks wearing Von Dutch hats!!!! I am sure they don't know the background of this dude!

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » May 11th, 2004, 4:53 pm

I am waiting for some body to rap and call some people out about what they wearing lol.

stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stickupkidakaBIGBANDIT » June 14th, 2004, 8:22 pm

I'm guilty I have that gear, but I read probably the same article and I know they mentioned the NAzi Low-rider crap and I just didn't read it that close. I had one of the first VON DUTCH shirts and I liked it because It said Compton CALI on it, so i sported it because I thought it had originated from compton, just assuming that maybe a "G" from Compton was profiting from it. I ain't wearing that stuff no more.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » June 14th, 2004, 8:29 pm

Kind of makes you think as to other trends, like the wearing of checkered shirts/pendletons, and the word/name "cholo" came out from ?