New Documentary ‘Homeboy’ explores gay gang members

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

New Documentary ‘Homeboy’ explores gay gang members

Unread post by lachica69 » September 12th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Documentary ‘Homeboy’ explores gay gang members

Beatriz Valenzuela (Press-Telegram) | September 4, 2013

LONG BEACH >> Sergio Romero knew it would be difficult for his mother to accept that the 37-year-old was gay, but it still shocked and hurt him to learn she preferred her son to be an active gang member than to be gay.

“For her, I was more of a man as a gang member than being gay,” said Romero as he sat in a Los Angeles coffee shop telling his story of being an active member of a notorious street gang and gay. He is one of the men featured in a documentary, “Homeboy,” on Latino gang members who are gay that will be screened this weekend at the QFilm Festival, Long Beach’s longest-running film festival presenting narrative features, documentaries and short films about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community.

Filmmaker Dino Dinco felt this was an underrepresented population that had stories that needed to be told.

“This began with two of my friends who have since passed away, who were in gangs,” said Dinco, who spent nearly 10 years creating the film.

Gay gang members who are in Latino gangs not only have to deal with the stereotypical machismo seen in Latino culture, Dinco said, they have to contend with the hyper-masculine posturing within the gang microculture.

“Before social media and Facebook, I had to post fliers in gay bars in order to find people willing to talk to me,” Dinco said.

With an estimated 9 million Americans identifying as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, according to a 2011 report from the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, gays are part of nearly every aspect of life, even within the gang life. However, an exact number of openly gay gang members is difficult to come by since many do not disclose their sexual orientation.

It took Manuel — he wanted to use only his first name — several years to admit he was gay.

Manuel spent nearly two years in Chino Institution for Men on a drug conviction in the ’90s and said he did engage in homosexual activities behind bars but was in denial about the fact he was gay.

Read more at: http://www.sbsun.com/social-affairs/201 ... ng-members

Some one decided to Finally made a documentary of being gay and being a gang member. Do you know any members that are gay? No names needed but how common is this?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Re: New Documentary ‘Homeboy’ explores gay gang members

Unread post by bgcasper » September 12th, 2013, 9:03 pm

never if he s gay he is no longer a gang member so basicelly its not possible to be a gay gang member not in my hood and any paris hood as soon as you are admited gay you are in danger inside your own set its the way it is in paris project no gay they hang and burn them in the cave ...in compton south i have no knowledge of gay people accepted and if they become gay they cease to be crippin at the moment the tip of their toe out of the cupboard i mean in south compton thats how i saw it and in paris thats how we rule it

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » September 13th, 2013, 6:56 am

I have wondered this for a while. There was a previous thread that discussed this as well. It is just like prisoners, they get long sentences and while in there they have homosexual relationships but they insist they aren't gay. It is my firm belief that if you are a man and you aren't Muslim and you hold another man's hand, kiss, have sex, then you are gay period. Just like the film American Me.- They were raping men, and it was made to be ok, they didn't ostracize Puppet. If and when you get out, how can you say amongst your peers that you aren't gay, when you have penetrated another man. I just don't understand.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lachica69 » September 13th, 2013, 10:47 am

I do recall the post very well about the being gay and a gang member. It was very active with replies on the topic. Well, believe it or not, it is real. The documentary, which i have yet to see will display some guys who lived both lives. Most times you don't even know that these members are gay and that's what i believe the film with touch on. Hiding that side of your life to fit in. Or the struggles with both lives or even, the torture of having to be something that you are not just because it is is expected of you.

The prison life is a different scenario. You are subjected to so many ill's in prison, and being raped is on the top of the list of it. The way of life is quite different locked up, and sometime yea you sink so low you do thing you thought u would never do. Being with another man is one of them. I guess those ppl use it to survive. But, once they are out they are back to the old tough dude they were before they fell short to the ill's of prison.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » September 14th, 2013, 4:53 am

let me tel u somthing in prison contrary to the movies like american me surenos dont rape ass and if you are gay you cant be from a gang thats a nooo nooo so all those double id shit documntary
are dunn undercover noooobody is gay and gangster and its ok with their hood

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » September 14th, 2013, 7:29 am

in 'monster' monster kody talks about fat rat from 52 hcg being an ass rapist in the county, he says about hightower from gswc and chicken swoop from insanes fucking drag queens up the ass in juveniles and ending up with green cocks on the strength of it...
my man then goes on to call fat rat a hood star, a hood legend...
he says a lot of the white juveniles who got put in their juvenile tank ended up getting their asses raped...top idea to recruit for the nlr/ab by the way...
i mean they said it about monster himself...

you tellin me with 000s of late teen/early 20s men full of testosterone all intogether with years to do, a fucked up interpretation of masculinity and too much time on their hands dont be fuckin each other? i dont believe you

just cause youre gay on the downlow doesnt mean youre not gay!

even in the british jails where the culture of jumping on each other is much less, and the old school heavyweights DO frown on it, theres a saying 'the only thing prison ever cured was heterosexuality'

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » September 14th, 2013, 10:52 pm

cuzzz i know about it but its very few cases and i can talk about hood i know ...in my hood in paris south thats a no no and if u did what fat rat did u get dp out the set with the quikness we have majority of muslim gangsters in my set and homosexuality is THE NO NO ...now hoovaz ???im not from there but the sscc dont have gay member neither do they have gay record and if so the people are no longer welcome to claim the set after being recognize as gay ...now transexual issu some g's might do things undercover but if it gets out the closet they will lose all respect from the street they might get away with a i didnt know it was a man or shit like that if they reps but ...no homo gets respect from no set to my knowledge

TomTom
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TomTom » September 16th, 2013, 11:12 am

Clifford did make some good points about well-known riders pulling gay shit like that and still being well respected. I had a homeboy from 54 VNG who was one of the best heads up fighters in the 405. Not to mention, Bruh had two sons and all, but he had a bad rep of having sex in the pen with lil boys.
See in the 405 we look at dudes who allow other dudes to take their manhood as “lil boys”. So you could be 45, but if you are in the pen pulling gay shit like having sex with other men you will be looked at as a lil boy. Aw man I saw Blood when he came home from a nine year bid with his sons and even though we chopped it up at the gas station; I felt weird about talking to bruh knowing all the stories I heard about him having sex with other boys. But I didn’t want to mention all that in front if his sons so I just played it off like I didn’t know Nathan ya heard.

lachica69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by lachica69 » September 16th, 2013, 11:38 am

I think being changed while locked up is one thing from being born feeling different and you try to hold it back because its just different, and not acceptable to act on your inner feeling. Hey, it happens, and ppl commit suicide because of it. The documentary seems to be focusing on the latter, the feeling you are born with. Although im not sure if it also touches one the aspect of change once you are confined.

If you allowed your self become week while locked up and turn to having sex with another man in order to fit in or deal with life, then normally your not gay, but you just let yourself go to another relm in order to survive. Still not cool. so frowned upon. Sometimes this is a way to act out aggression while being locked up. It's certainly a psychological factor.

In the instance of being gay and a gang member is usually hidden from the other members. So, they are out there and theyv'e either kept it a secret so well and still live that life or they haven't really come out within themselves yet. You could be doing dirt with someone who is gay and you will never know. But, trust me it is out there. Gayness does not discriminate. It's not selective.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » September 16th, 2013, 7:15 pm

If you allowed your self become week while locked up and turn to having sex with another man in order to fit in or deal with life, then normally your not gay, but you just let yourself go to another relm in order to survive.
I
you dont have to give your ass in order to survive thats hollywood fairytales when u come from a hood once you hit the system you gona be with your own and being gay is what can really put yo ass in trouble ....you wish it was like that but it aint execpt for accident or ecceptional occasion gang member dont rape others thats fairy tales what can happen as eception is portrayed as the usual shit in order to survive but that not real ..thats not real life in jail if u wanna survive you better keep that booty virgin if you from a hood cause loose booty are off the set and thats real

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » September 16th, 2013, 7:19 pm

any organise prison gang like la eme would shank any booty bandit out their yard them perv get pc'd out

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » September 18th, 2013, 5:43 pm

TomTom wrote:Clifford did make some good points about well-known riders pulling gay shit like that and still being well respected. I had a homeboy from 54 VNG who was one of the best heads up fighters in the 405. Not to mention, Bruh had two sons and all, but he had a bad rep of having sex in the pen with lil boys.
See in the 405 we look at dudes who allow other dudes to take their manhood as “lil boys”. So you could be 45, but if you are in the pen pulling gay shit like having sex with other men you will be looked at as a lil boy. Aw man I saw Blood when he came home from a nine year bid with his sons and even though we chopped it up at the gas station; I felt weird about talking to bruh knowing all the stories I heard about him having sex with other boys. But I didn’t want to mention all that in front if his sons so I just played it off like I didn’t know Nathan ya heard.
mate that is bad you know, that is properly twisted...so just cause you aint a good fighter, some militant fag rips your asshole up while youre minding your own business and trying to get on with doing your time? and YOURE the fag? just consider what im saying, and tell me that aint completely back to front...

and my man got sons on the out? so whatever he picks up in the pen hes gonna pass on to his missus when he gets out? cause no doubt hes not gonna tell her *well look love i missed you in the jail, so i had to fuck young boys up the ass instead* no, i thought not, so shes gonna end up with whatever virus hes picked up...

the thing is, im not anti gay, but at least be honest about it and admit youre either gay or bisexual, that way anyone you sleep with knows what precautions they got to take...

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”