Rap songs that can be considered peotry

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
JesscaBay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Vallejo

Rap songs that can be considered peotry

Unread post by JesscaBay » October 24th, 2018, 4:14 am

i feel like a lot of KA from brownsville music can be considered peotry. Anyone have any reccomendations.

KA - cold facts
https://youtu.be/vKlCUHjU7p4

KA - 30 keys
https://youtu.be/T17WjDXoQz0

AmericanZombie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inland Empire

Re: Rap songs that can be considered peotry

Unread post by AmericanZombie » October 27th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Stormy Thursday by Conejo

https://youtu.be/tQLLKd69xNc

JesscaBay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Vallejo

Unread post by JesscaBay » October 27th, 2018, 2:39 pm

AmericanZombie wrote:Stormy Thursday by Conejo

https://youtu.be/tQLLKd69xNc
Im from bay area so i havent heard to many southern rappers, but lately ive been hearing some pretty good tracks coming out from that way. That kujo-overkill video is probably one of the dopest songs made by a sureno of all time. People dont realize that though, maybe its just me..

CindyParker
If in the United States: Iowa
What city do you live in now?: Iowa

Unread post by CindyParker » March 14th, 2019, 9:36 am

I really love rap, but it's lyrics, not poetry. As we've already learned, rock, rap, author's song - these are songs, they are adapted to the rhythm and melody, where they should be stretched, where it is necessary - they are pronounced quickly. This is the main difference between a song and poetry - when reading text from a paper or screen, you do not know where to stretch, and where to accelerate the rhythm then normalize it again. This all about rhythm, not text.

Therefore, poetry is a much more linguistic thing, it embodies the language, creating extremely precise images, with the utmost concentration of meaning or feeling in the image. So song or rhythm is simply not necessary.

In general, to write a quality song, you need poetic lines, and that is it! But usually they are diluted with a huge number of words of a purely pragmatic nature - words that are better sung or better suited for reading in rap.

Therefore, if you want poetry, read poetry, and if you listen to a song, listen to a song. The song has a lot of additional instruments, but the voice of Seline Dion deeply penetrating into you is not at all the same as the text of Seline Dion on paper. The song is no better and no worse than a verse, it's just two different genres. As for me, I work as a writer and I appreciate rap and poetry both, you can read more about it here. I’ll add: even if you remove the music completely, there will be a beat in rap, and a beat is a rhythm, it means changing the verbal structure to please yourself, which means, in any case, impoverishes the language and poetics of it.

Utd2097
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Bay area

Unread post by Utd2097 » May 27th, 2019, 11:34 pm

CindyParker wrote:I really love rap, but it's lyrics, not poetry. As we've already learned, rock, rap, author's song - these are songs, they are adapted to the rhythm and melody, where they should be stretched, where it is necessary - they are pronounced quickly. This is the main difference between a song and poetry - when reading text from a paper or screen, you do not know where to stretch, and where to accelerate the rhythm then normalize it again. This all about rhythm, not text.

Therefore, poetry is a much more linguistic thing, it embodies the language, creating extremely precise images, with the utmost concentration of meaning or feeling in the image. So song or rhythm is simply not necessary.

In general, to write a quality song, you need poetic lines, and that is it! But usually they are diluted with a huge number of words of a purely pragmatic nature - words that are better sung or better suited for reading in rap.

Therefore, if you want poetry, read poetry, and if you listen to a song, listen to a song. The song has a lot of additional instruments, but the voice of Seline Dion deeply penetrating into you is not at all the same as the text of Seline Dion on paper. The song is no better and no worse than a verse, it's just two different genres. As for me, I work as a writer and I appreciate rap and poetry both, you can read more about it here. I’ll add: even if you remove the music completely, there will be a beat in rap, and a beat is a rhythm, it means changing the verbal structure to please yourself, which means, in any case, impoverishes the language and poetics of it.

I completely disagree that rap isnt poetry. If you see my comment read this reddit post about is rap poetry or not. They explain why its poetry better then i can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... ic_lyrics/