Gran Torino

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
ridincitiesforever
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Monterey Park

Gran Torino

Unread post by ridincitiesforever » January 20th, 2009, 1:26 am

Anyobdy seen that film? Some of the stuff you see on the film is how some Asians grew up in the hood. HRad to watch some of it, because it brings back some bad memories.

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Gran Torino

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 25th, 2009, 7:28 pm

It was a great movie. Clint Eastwood at his best, even in his old age looked like a hero.

But for the other actors - they sucked. You could imagine a teleprompter as they spoke. Other point is that while Eastwood uses every possible derogatory term to describe all east Asians, Irish, Italians, Jews, Mexicans, and a bunch of other groups, he refrained from saying the "N-word" - the script writer obviously pussied out and believes in different standards - shows how America is cool with dissing every other group. It was really inconceivable for him to call them just "colored" or even the weird "spooks" when he just called everyone else chink, gook, nip, wetback, mick (Irish), Jew (used as a verb for ripping off), Wop and Dago (Italians), and a long list of other racial disses.

But anyways the movie itself was great and Eastwood's performance was amazing. Overall 4/5 (last star reserved for weak acting from supporting cast).

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 25th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Oh yeah and another thing about the script none of the Asian bangers said "nigga" which was really unrealistic.

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » January 25th, 2009, 7:32 pm

But the movies - again was great.

There are a lot of key Americana archetypes in the movie, ethnic diversity, changing demographics, immigration, refugees, universal old-fashioned values, disgruntled laid-off industries, exporting jobs, fear of "foreign" trade and economy, learning to get past racism and racial barriers, etc.

ridincitiesforever
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Monterey Park

Unread post by ridincitiesforever » February 1st, 2009, 2:25 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:Oh yeah and another thing about the script none of the Asian bangers said "nigga" which was really unrealistic.
word on that part. based on this clip, a lot of asian gangs are starting to use the word nigga. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WeRLS3awHc

Old_man07
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Old_man07 » February 16th, 2009, 6:42 pm

I agree, the acting on the part of the Hmong gang members was kinda weak, but it's not like every person off the street is a natural actor. But they did the best with what they could. Eastwood was dynamite though.

IronManCash10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Worldwide

Unread post by IronManCash10 » March 2nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

ridincitiesforever wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:Oh yeah and another thing about the script none of the Asian bangers said "nigga" which was really unrealistic.
word on that part. based on this clip, a lot of asian gangs are starting to use the word nigga. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WeRLS3awHc

lol. you fuckin dumbass. you can base anything on any one clip then. your a fuckin moron.

IronManCash10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by IronManCash10 » March 2nd, 2009, 7:06 pm

I havnt seen the movie but based on the previews looks like they wanted to make clint eastwood the star and make the asians look like punks. It was released by warner brothers. if they can afford eastwood they couldve afforded better actors.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » March 3rd, 2009, 10:17 pm

Not every Asian G says nigga. I know plenty that don't, or rarely do.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » March 4th, 2009, 3:49 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:But the movies - again was great.

There are a lot of key Americana archetypes in the movie, ethnic diversity, changing demographics, immigration, refugees, universal old-fashioned values, disgruntled laid-off industries, exporting jobs, fear of "foreign" trade and economy, learning to get past racism and racial barriers, etc.
LOL. Clint Eastwood made this movie for all of the white people pissed about the likeliness (and eventual reality) of a black president. I don't care what kind of touch feely message he put in there about people getting over racism, people went to see this movie to see Clint Eastwood yell out every racial slur in the book, and Clint delivered. Clint just did an interview saying that political correctness is ruining this country, and that people should lighten up about racial humor (that's not exactly getting over racial barriers...). Funny timing, don't you think? Right when his movie is falling off at the box office? He's showing his true colors.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » March 4th, 2009, 3:51 am

BTW, Obama said he watched Gran Torino at the White House, and fell asleep half way through. LOL.

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 11th, 2009, 5:02 pm

StillNoScript wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:But the movies - again was great.

LOL. Clint Eastwood made this movie for all of the white people pissed about the likeliness (and eventual reality) of a black president. I don't care what kind of touch feely message he put in there about people getting over racism, people went to see this movie to see Clint Eastwood yell out every racial slur in the book, and Clint delivered. Clint just did an interview saying that political correctness is ruining this country, and that people should lighten up about racial humor (that's not exactly getting over racial barriers...). Funny timing, don't you think? Right when his movie is falling off at the box office? He's showing his true colors.
It's worse than that....

He spit out every racial slur EXCEPT he carefully avoided anything against blacks. If he was dissing everyone it might have been one thing but him punking out when dissing blacks shows that he's hypocritical and a punk.

I agree with your sentiments about wanting to make himself look good and Asians look like punks.

IronManCash10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by IronManCash10 » March 11th, 2009, 5:44 pm

i think white people are pissed that a lot of immigrants are coming to this country. black people have always been here so theres probably a lot of white people who feel more friendly towards them than immigrants, plus most black people speak english.

61deuce
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Minneapolis

Unread post by 61deuce » March 12th, 2009, 2:16 am

Movie was OK. Clint Eastwood did a good job on his part but the rest of the crew suck.

joker69
What city do you live in now?: Zurich

Unread post by joker69 » March 12th, 2009, 2:50 am

I saw the movie two times on theathre. I was amazed about the film. Clintwood acted very well and the story was good. Yeah the hmong gang was a bit...hmm to softy maybe? Shure they shoot on eastywood and the hmong house, but when clintwood confronted them, they went to softies.

But overall the movie was excellent!

cixxwonn
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: chicago

Unread post by cixxwonn » March 12th, 2009, 6:56 am

ridincitiesforever wrote:
the video did shock me as THE GAYEST FIGHT EVER!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO YOU COULD HAVE SAVED THAT BS LOL!

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » February 19th, 2010, 11:05 am

This was a good movie, i also noticed clint eastwood refrained from using the N-word because more then likely al sharpton would have protested.....

Bt what got me is the way the gangsters were portrayed. DO regular gangsters act like the way they were portrayed in this movie?

I honestly thought i seen a bunch of adults dressing like there in high school cruising the streets looking for fights and flashing their guns, wtf...... Like when the mexican and Asian gangs met at the beginning, all i understood was RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE N&**^R RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE, and then the white kid with the asian chick getting harrassed by a bunch of blacks on the street... DO people honestly stand around all day looking for people to harrass? Honestly not even at jane and Finch are people even REMOTELY like this.... Do gangsters even have hobbies? BEcause it looks like quite a few could use them

Although i like what Clint Eastwood said to the white kid, "they dont want to be your brother and i dont blame them" he might have well been speaking to someone here lol...

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: East Side Sacra

Unread post by MCD » April 21st, 2011, 12:16 am

That movie would have been garbage without Clint Eastwood. I really liked it but some of the hmong actors were off especially the gangsters like Spider. Then you had the mexicans in the beginning bumpin reggaeton, lol...