Mi Vida Loca ~ My Crazy Life

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
chini
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Mi Vida Loca ~ My Crazy Life

Unread post by chini » February 5th, 2005, 6:08 pm

OK this is a movie about my hood, so I started this post. I have friends in it, and it's fun to watch for the difference places of echo park that they show. But it's pretty unrealistic, i mean, they portray us as shooting all night/day long. Yes we have gangs and yes they shoot, but not 24/7. Who can afford to do that. Now when you go to the Lake, you just have some dealers and homos cruising it, mixed with much fewer teens than in the past, hanging out there. And some yuppies from A heights jogging around it. It can be after dark and super safe and quiet. Not like before.

when we went to the premiere to watch the movie, we had friends from other hoods come on by. maybe i don't think it's very realistic, but it really pissed off one vato in our group, who got up halfway through the film and walked out of the theater. so for him, it wasn't totally realistic, but emotionally it got him.

junior
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Mi Vida Loca ~ My Crazy Life

Unread post by junior » March 28th, 2006, 10:43 pm

chini wrote:OK this is a movie about my hood, so I started this post. I have friends in it, and it's fun to watch for the difference places of echo park that they show. But it's pretty unrealistic, i mean, they portray us as shooting all night/day long. Yes we have gangs and yes they shoot, but not 24/7. Who can afford to do that. Now when you go to the Lake, you just have some dealers and homos cruising it, mixed with much fewer teens than in the past, hanging out there. And some yuppies from A heights jogging around it. It can be after dark and super safe and quiet. Not like before.

when we went to the premiere to watch the movie, we had friends from other hoods come on by. maybe i don't think it's very realistic, but it really pissed off one vato in our group, who got up halfway through the film and walked out of the theater. so for him, it wasn't totally realistic, but emotionally it got him.

why he walked out? .....i havent been to echo park in forever that movie made it seem hardcore but i guess it aint

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » December 31st, 2006, 1:04 am

^^ How can you say it made the movie look hardcore? The movie sucked. I think one of the foos from the movie hit me up before. You know when the middle aged guy with the arm ripped shirt asks a girl for change at the park and he finds out its his homegirl and he wouldnt accept the money; I think he the one who hit up me and the homies when we was going to House of Spirits. How did it show them as crazy gang bangers? Only action was at the end and it sucked. Is it true theres going to be a Mi Vida Loca part 2 though?

looneytunes1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by looneytunes1 » December 31st, 2006, 7:53 am

No offense but that movie is whack. Kinda like when you got a "local area rapper" in your city....everyone at home you kick it make think hes the shit...but everywhere else people thinks he suck..if you know what i mean?

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » December 31st, 2006, 7:30 pm

lol yeah haha, true story^^

oldsschool666

Unread post by oldsschool666 » January 1st, 2007, 7:08 pm

NikexCortez wrote:^^ How can you say it made the movie look hardcore? The movie sucked. I think one of the foos from the movie hit me up before. You know when the middle aged guy with the arm ripped shirt asks a girl for change at the park and he finds out its his homegirl and he wouldnt accept the money; I think he the one who hit up me and the homies when we was going to House of Spirits. How did it show them as crazy gang bangers? Only action was at the end and it sucked. Is it true theres going to be a Mi Vida Loca part 2 though?
I doubt that was him lol

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 1st, 2007, 9:41 pm

I dont really care if it was him or not, but homie it looked so much like him. Only Chini would know if its him or not by letting us know if he still active. This happened around 05.

PREACH
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PREACH » January 13th, 2007, 1:30 am

i liked the movie, it was dope to me.

Noyz
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Noyz » January 25th, 2007, 1:39 pm

That movie was weak.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » January 29th, 2007, 2:34 am

There's no such thing as a realistic movie. Henry Hill was on Howard Stern talking about how glamorized Goodfellas was; How it was so much darker in real life, and that he was a lot more nervous than what Ray Liotta looked playing him.

Of course Mi Vida Loca isn't going to make the grade for a bunch of people from Echo Park. The only way to make a realistic movie about a neighborhood is to just follow some people around with a camera all day. Even that can be fake, because people can act hard just for the camera.

Compared to most movies about Chicano gangs in L.A., Mi Vida Loca is one of the best. Overall, Allison Anders at least made an effort to capture the real attitudes and style of the 'locas', even if she missed the mark in a few cases. But, she made the effort, which is more than what you can say of most White producers of films based in urban Los Angeles. (ugh hum...Blood In Blood Oot...) .

Unread post by 033 » February 3rd, 2007, 11:53 pm

Unread post by 033 » February 3rd, 2007, 11:53 pm

LORD K1LLJOY
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by LORD K1LLJOY » February 17th, 2007, 2:30 pm

looneytunes1 wrote:No offense but that movie is whack. Kinda like when you got a "local area rapper" in your city....everyone at home you kick it make think hes the shit...but everywhere else people thinks he suck..if you know what i mean?
na thats bullsh-t thers alot of very good local area rappers that are liked by people out side of the city and state. you didnt make a good point but you tried lol

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » February 20th, 2007, 7:50 pm

im waiting for it to come thru next flix it looks good..

poohbear555
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by poohbear555 » September 5th, 2011, 3:36 am

I heard there coming-out with a sequel to mi vida loca (my crazy life) titled Smile Now Cry Later it's in development as of now.and there wasn't that much violence portrayed in this movie at all.there wasn't that much violence taking place in this movie.I also know that that hyna whisper in the movie was from echo park.does anyone know if she's still alive?

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » October 15th, 2011, 12:08 pm

poohbear555 wrote:I heard there coming-out with a sequel to mi vida loca (my crazy life) titled Smile Now Cry Later it's in development as of now.and there wasn't that much violence portrayed in this movie at all.there wasn't that much violence taking place in this movie.I also know that that hyna whisper in the movie was from echo park.does anyone know if she's still alive?
Whisper's alive and well. She chimed in on a facebook page for the sequel that's since been taken down (is the movie still happening?). Anyhow, she had enough info open on her FB profile to say that she's living in northeast LA and married. I wish I could give you the links. Try google. This was about 2 years ago.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re:

Unread post by StillNoScript » October 15th, 2011, 12:12 pm

NikexCortez wrote:^^ How can you say it made the movie look hardcore? The movie sucked. I think one of the foos from the movie hit me up before. You know when the middle aged guy with the arm ripped shirt asks a girl for change at the park and he finds out its his homegirl and he wouldnt accept the money; I think he the one who hit up me and the homies when we was going to House of Spirits. How did it show them as crazy gang bangers? Only action was at the end and it sucked. Is it true theres going to be a Mi Vida Loca part 2 though?
lol. Danny Trejo? He plays the strung out panhandler. I think he's from the valley. And if I'm correct, he's done some time back in the '70s, but has been on the up and up every since, doing the hollywood thing. I don't know what you mean by hitting you up, if mean being confrontational, I think you have him confused with someone else.