Bills in Congress making it illegal to be illegal

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Bills in Congress making it illegal to be illegal

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 24th, 2006, 5:51 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060324/ap_ ... on_rallies

"Congress is considering bills that would make it a felony to be illegally in the United States, impose new penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants and erect fences along one-third of the U.S.-Mexican border. The proposals have angered many Hispanics.

The Los Angeles demonstration led to fights between black and Hispanic students at one high school, but the protests were largely peaceful, authorities said."

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 24th, 2006, 6:26 pm

There were a couple schools demonstrating today.... some got a $150 fine I heard

Con

Unread post by Con » March 24th, 2006, 6:31 pm

And more Protest's are comming :D

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » March 24th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Why were the blacks and hispanics fighting over this? Aren't there plenty of hispanics/latino's that are also very much against rampant illegal (and maybe legal as well) immigration?

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 25th, 2006, 12:52 am

A just and humane solution is needed. Turning millions of people who have broken no law other than moving across a fluid poorly protected border, many of them decades ago, into instant felons doesn't meet that requirement imho.

Some of them have been here 50 of their 53 years of life, lived perfectly good lives, and have legal children and grandchildren for crying out loud.

Yes a solution is needed. No it cannot continue on the way it has indefinitely. However the solution should be both just and humane. Anything less is beneath this powerful and democratic country.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 25th, 2006, 12:24 pm

curiousdude06 wrote:Why were the blacks and hispanics fighting over this? Aren't there plenty of hispanics/latino's that are also very much against rampant illegal (and maybe legal as well) immigration?
I only heard of one fight during a demonstration, but this h.s. had black vs. mexican problems long before this...

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » March 25th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Alot of the kids that got out of school just did it because they didn't want to be in class.They just wanted to go out and act like fools.Alot of the hispanics that were out were definetely gangmembers.I hope the bill passes because alot of illegals that come here later become gangmembers and criminals and it's true.If these people have been here for so long why don't they try to get their full citizenship?Why don't they try to learn the damn language?Being an illegal IS a crime because they can do whatever they want and the ones that pay are the LEGAL citizens.

Con

Unread post by Con » March 25th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Jeremy you are an Idiot how is it a crime to be illegal your ancesters
where illegal too. so were mine, Fools like you should be shot

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » March 25th, 2006, 3:24 pm

YOU are the idiot!My parents came here LEGALLY!!They did NOT pay a coyote to smuggle them in.My parentas are Guatemalens NOT Mexicans!My parents got their FULL citizenship by taking the damn test!!!Unlike yours!!

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 25th, 2006, 3:27 pm

i dont know how to feel about immigration. these mexicans really just want a better life, but they are doing it by cheating the system that we have to pax taces for.

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » March 25th, 2006, 3:37 pm

se11 wrote:i dont know how to feel about immigration. these mexicans really just want a better life, but they are doing it by cheating the system that we have to pax taces for.
They cheat and they are STUPID!They pay coyotes $1000's of dollars to smuggle them in when a visa is only like $100!What I don't like is that these people are being rewarded with free stuff while the LEGAL citizens get punished with stereotypes.They don't pay taxes they don't put anything back into the country.The money goes back to Mexico!The hell with Vicente Fox!! He is a hipocryte and HE is the racist!!They need to rally against the Mexican government that screws them over!

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 25th, 2006, 7:17 pm

jeremy wrote:Alot of the kids that got out of school just did it because they didn't want to be in class.They just wanted to go out and act like fools.Alot of the hispanics that were out were definetely gangmembers.
lol...

Honestly I know someone that tried to do that....

until the kid asked the principal who told him that he would get a $150 dollar ticket for it, then he was just like whatever I'll stay

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » March 25th, 2006, 9:02 pm

It's ridiculous isn't it?They don't even know what they are protesting for.

Con

Unread post by Con » March 25th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Same thing with the watts Riots Huh?
blacks destroying peoples BUsinesses most didnt know why they were protesting

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » March 26th, 2006, 1:46 am

Guest worker program a tough sell:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... htm?csp=34

WASHINGTON (AP) — Proponents of a guest worker program to address the chaos of illegal immigration have a hard sell in front of them. Similar programs in the past have been plagued by abuses and have done little to stem the influx of undocumented workers. (Related story:

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » March 28th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Con wrote:Jeremy you are an Idiot how is it a crime to be illegal your ancesters
where illegal too. so were mine, Fools like you should be shot
Fools like you should be DEPORTED!!!

S.R.E.
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by S.R.E. » March 28th, 2006, 6:37 pm

jeremy wrote:YOU are the idiot!My parents came here LEGALLY!!They did NOT pay a coyote to smuggle them in.My parentas are Guatemalens NOT Mexicans!My parents got their FULL citizenship by taking the damn test!!!Unlike yours!!

Unfortunantly, some illegal aliens could care less about taking some test and becoming a U.S. citizen, cause with that come U.S. taxes and responsibilities, and they dont want to deal with that.

As far as the Mexican Government, it has so many issuses it should not even think about trying to tell another country, especially the U.S., what it should and shouldn't do.

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » March 28th, 2006, 6:42 pm

I saw footage from overhead of the marches in southern california. I think it speaks a lot that I didn't see one black person marching alongside those latinos. Well, maybe some did but from the footage I saw I didn't see any...

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » March 29th, 2006, 10:01 am

S.R.E. wrote:
jeremy wrote:YOU are the idiot!My parents came here LEGALLY!!They did NOT pay a coyote to smuggle them in.My parentas are Guatemalens NOT Mexicans!My parents got their FULL citizenship by taking the damn test!!!Unlike yours!!

Unfortunantly, some illegal aliens could care less about taking some test and becoming a U.S. citizen, cause with that come U.S. taxes and responsibilities, and they dont want to deal with that.

As far as the Mexican Government, it has so many issuses it should not even think about trying to tell another country, especially the U.S., what it should and shouldn't do.
They even make spanish tv shows that make fun of how easy it is to get into the country.It's gotten so bad in this country that these people think it's "normal" to cross the border illegaly.I remember there was this show where one guy played a boarder patrol officer and the other an illegal.The Illegal gets caught and asked for his green card.The illegal says "yo no se" translating into"I don't know".They don't see any problem with entering the U.S. ILLEGALY.They think it's normal.They think they have done no wrong?

MIDTOWN SB
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Mars

Unread post by MIDTOWN SB » March 29th, 2006, 11:51 am

come to america legally and get your citzenship. They arent paying taxes and arent helping the american economy.

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Bills in Congress making it illegal to be illegal

Unread post by Tre » March 29th, 2006, 12:41 pm

"Chantal Mason, a sophomore at George Washington Preparatory High, said black students jumped Hispanic students as they left classes to protest a bill passed the House in December that would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally.

"It was horrible, horrible," Mason said. "It's ridiculous that a bunch of black students would jump on Latinos like that, knowing they're trying to get their freedom.""

I think there is a disconnect among the students (both blacks and Mexicans) and the real issues at hand. It just seems to me that the students are caught up. On the student level it's more about power and respect than anything else. Mexicans got numbers so they are flexing their power, and blacks intuitively want to flex back. What's going on has absolutely nothing to do with blacks not wanting Mexicans to get their freedom. It has everything to do with Mexicans and blacks trying to prove who's the hardest. The old game of who's going to flinch first.

There is also a disconnect with the white media (or at least this reporter) and the issues at hand. How does black students jumping Mexican students impact the immigration legislation that congress is now considering? How does black students jumping Mexican students impact what's happening on the other side of the border. A better connect would be to talk about the armed anti-immigration MINUTEMEN hunting down and killing Mexicans at the border.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » March 29th, 2006, 12:46 pm

I guess I'm out of the loop. I haven't been following that group.. been studying. How many Minutemen are up for murder as a result of "hunting and killing" people as you say? Where can I read about the cases? Thanks. I appreciate it. Peace.

jeremy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jeremy » March 29th, 2006, 12:53 pm

It's about the drug war.Black and mexican gangs are fighting each other to prove who is the "hardest".They should make it illegal to be in those gay gangs also. :x

The minutemen are the only ones doing anything to stop the illegal immigration.Unlike the media , which portrays them as vigilantes,they are non-violent Democrats are in it for the votes, since hispanics are the majority.Republicans are in it for economic gain, since it's CHEAP labor They would have to pay citizens more for that kind of job.

This U.S. really is being invaded by Mexico.Bush can't see that because he's an IDIOT!!

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 29th, 2006, 4:58 pm

HAS ANY1 EVERY NOTICE WITH IMMIGRATION THEY ALWAYS TURNED BACK THE HAITIANS OVER THE CUBANS?

ALL I WAS HEARING THAT AMERICA IS THE LAND OF OPPURTUNITY EVEN BUSH SAID HE WAS NOT GONNA LET IN HAITIANS EVEN IF THERE WERE A DICTATORSHIP(JUST A THOUGHT)

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » March 29th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Tre makes good observations but I think it has a lot to do with animosities amongst many in the black community that feel that these immigrants are just coming into our borders illegally and taking jobs. It's like they haven't "paid their dues" and are overtaking communities and positions of leadership. There was a link to an article here somewhere, the same sentiments ocurred in the black community when hordes of eastern european immigrants started flooding eastern shores like new york city at the turn of the century.

And when they see the racial violence occurring on the streets, maybe they feel enough is enough...

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tre » March 30th, 2006, 7:44 am

[edit] A better connect would be to talk about the armed anti-immigration Minutemen hunting down and deaths of Mexicans at the border.
If out of the group of Mexican students that left school... two Mexicans started to horseplay and fight would we view it as Mexicans keeping Mexicans from their freedom. The article comes across to me as bias. Why not just view it as some Blacks and Mexicans acting ignorant? It seems to me the reporter is stretching... trying to tie the incident into the national debate on illegal immigration. If we are talking about an anti immigration bill it seems to me a better tie in would be anti-immigration group... like the Minutemen http://www.minutemanhq.com/hq/

The Minutemen was an armed group of volunteers vilified by some as racist vigilantes, and by others as heroes. They made headlines in April 2005 for their month-long patrol along a 23-mile stretch of the Arizona-Mexico border. Although the Minutemen 'Border Project' officially ended in 2005 " There are still pockets of Minutemen intact along the border and the rest of their organization has spread throughout the states http://www.buildingdemocracy.org/index. ... &Itemid=66

The current guest-worker' proposals by Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wisconsin, was authored largely by anti-immigrant advocates, like the Minutemen. According to an article I read http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_a ... b9d1d60b47

there are over 3,000 immigrants who have died since 1994. My argument is why isn't there more focus on these high number of deaths along the border, but instead we get this running tally of how many black people beat up brown each day?

raphead2001
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: L.A.

Unread post by raphead2001 » March 30th, 2006, 3:28 pm

i just feel like the law should be passed and some mexicans make themselves stupid and they still havent convinced anyone to think the laws are unjust. first of all the law never said illegal mexicans, it said illegall immigrants. should we let terrorist from iraq be able to come to this lang? mexicans just be thinking this country revolves around them and we shoud give illegals right. someone who is in mexico legally can't get half the rights that we give to there illegals and they cry racism. they march with mexican flags which is stupid cuz it gives the people who are for the bill more of a reason to be for the bill. why sould americans let some protest of people who don't even look at this country as there home county influence the way we gover ourselves? if mexico is so hot then go back. and the people are illegal. it doesn't matter if they worked here. If i broke into your house then fixed the sink would you let me live there? if they don't pass this law then the american government will further let me know they full of shit. vicente fox can suck a dick with his full of shit ass. he say let latinos come into the US to work but then wants his mexican people to get the jobs first before the other latino countries. he won't open his south border so why should we. im not against no race but i am against illegal immigration no matter what country they come from

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » March 30th, 2006, 7:16 pm

the thing is that when republicans talk about 'illegal' immigrants, their talking about mexicans. President Bush himself the leader of the republican party himself doesnt much give a damn about terrorists from iraq...he was trying to sell the ownership rights of U.S. ports to an Arab country, the United Arab Emirates!!!

mnjmc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by mnjmc » March 30th, 2006, 9:59 pm

raphead2001 wrote:they march with mexican flags which is stupid because it gives the people who are for the bill more of a reason to be for the bill.

Come on now, many different people march with foreing flags. The Irish Americans use the Irish flags in their parades, the Italian Americans use the Italian flags for their parades, I am sure you have seen the Israelie flags on parades. And if you didn't know there were many more American flags on that prostest on Saturday than all the rest. I have see people get all mad because of those Mexican flags, the thing that upsets me however is that they act like we are the only ones that fly foreing flags. And if people want to get offended well to bad. If they are just going to bitch about us and not the rest of those people for doing the exact same thing then f u c k em.

curiousdude06
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by curiousdude06 » March 31st, 2006, 7:44 pm

mnjmc wrote:
raphead2001 wrote:they march with mexican flags which is stupid because it gives the people who are for the bill more of a reason to be for the bill.

Come on now, many different people march with foreing flags. The Irish Americans use the Irish flags in their parades, the Italian Americans use the Italian flags for their parades, I am sure you have seen the Israelie flags on parades. And if you didn't know there were many more American flags on that prostest on Saturday than all the rest. I have see people get all mad because of those Mexican flags, the thing that upsets me however is that they act like we are the only ones that fly foreing flags. And if people want to get offended well to bad. If they are just going to bitch about us and not the rest of those people for doing the exact same thing then f u c k em.
I see some of your points, I do agree that other races/ethnicities fly their flags with pride. The main point though is that I think some people feel that people waving the mexican flag do so because they believe that mexico comes before the U.S. in terms of "loyalty" and whatnot. When you see irish flags, italian flags, etc., yes they show ethnic pride, but outside of ethnic parades, their ultimate loyalty is to the United states and its laws and customs. Of course I'm not talking about those bonehead white power knuckleheads and their flags.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » March 31st, 2006, 9:44 pm

The flag issue is precarious with Mexicans. They're not a race but they and many look at themselves as such, so in what better way can they express "racial pride" when it is so easy to mix them up with Guatameltecos, Hondurenos, Salvadorenos, etc.?