Oppressed group of human beings in the history of humanity?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Hawaii
What city do you live in now?: Honalulu

Oppressed group of human beings in the history of humanity?

Unread post by bumperjack » May 13th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Who have been the most oppressed group of human beings in the history of humanity?

Unfortunately, in the history of human life, the question begs to be asked, "has the straight, white, mentally fit, Christian male never been oppressed?"

Ever since the beginning of recorded history, we have heard about one story continuously: how it was the "white man's burden" to educate, reform, and compel change in the "minorities" that were "running rampant" across lands that were meant to be in their white hands. I would argue that there is no group outside the straight, white, Christian, mentally fit male that has never felt oppression. But, for the sake of example, here are the five most notably oppressed groups in American history (with no disctinction made as to the level of oppression, because how could we possibly define one oppression as "worse" or "better" than another kind?) (Also, I don't mean to imply that only Americans have ever been oppressed, just for the point of this article.)

1. African Americans. This was the largest portion of the American population that was kept in bondage, and even after their freedom was granted, it took 100 years before their rights as American citizens were protected. Starting in the 1600s, American colonists brought Africans to the colonies in order to serve as labor. In 1789, it was written into the constitution that African Americans would be counted in census's as three-fifths of a person. They suffered horribly in slavery, with families being separated, being whipped, and humiliated. And even after the 13th amendment, which ended slavery, and the 14th amendment, which guaranteed rights to all American citizens, and 15, which guaranteed the right to vote regardless of race or previous condition of servitude. And yet, African Americans were still oppressed. They were denied access to establishments, couldn't mingle or share public spaces, and generally could not enjoy life as white people could. It wasn't until the civil rights package in 1965 that African Americans had protection written in law against discriminatory things like the Jim Crowe laws. Still, it took another 43 years before America would elect its first black president, Barack Obama. The country is still home to groups like the Klu Klux Klan, which means there is still some oppression to eradicate.

2. The GLBTQI community. There have been recorded examples of homosexuality since the Roman empire. It was actually a common and accepted practice, until Christianity arrived in Rome and replaced the original pagan religion. Since that time, homosexuality has been condemned, from murders during the Spanish Inquisition to murders during the Holocaust, to modern day murders of members of the glbtqi community. In the November 4, 2008 election, four states passed ballot initiatives that restricted marriage to men and woman, and in Arkansas, restricted glbtqi parents from adopting children. The only two states that currently allow same sex marriage (as of November 2008) are Massachusetts and Connecticut. Under that same 14th amendment that failed to protect the African American community, everyone is guaranteed equal protection; however there are currently very few laws in place protecting gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders, queers and intersex people, and no federal laws.

3. Women. Regardless of race or socioeconomic standing, women were denied sufferage as a group until the 19th amendment in 1920. The fight for women's sufferage had started much earlier with first wave feminism, beginning with movements such as the Seneca Falls convention and the Declaration of the Rights of Women. After women were given the vote, however, they still were not equal to women. They began to flock to the workplace in the 1910s and 1920s due to WWI and the Roaring 20s. But once there was no longer a need for women in men's jobs, they were pushed back into the home. When the 1940s rolled around and American men were called to war, the women were called into the factories and the military desk jobs. But when the men returned home again, they were sent back to the homes. And so it went until the 1970s and 1980s, when women finally started to go to the workplace without the push of a world war. Still, however, women are rarely in high level positions. Again in the 2008 presidential election, the first woman, Sarah Palin, was on the vice presidential Republican ticket.

4. Native Americans. As the name suggests, they were the original inhabitants in the Americas. Their peaceful lives ended with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores such as Columbus and de las Casas. They chronicled their travels across islands such as Cuba and Haiti, and the treatment of the natives there. Not only were tribes wiped out from disease, but they were murdered and enslaved by these white invaders. Then Europeans begin to settle what became the United States. Indian tribes were pushed farther and farther west as Americans pursued their manifest destiny, and were shuffled from place to place on marches such as the Trail of Tears. Stil, there are tribes that are not recognized in the United States.

5. Chinese and Japanese. Though immigrants built the United States, some immigrants were eventually deemed undesirable by the predominantly white population. In 1882, the government passed the Chinese Exclusion act, barring Chinese immigrants from entering the US. This was in response to the mass immigration of Chinese nationals to the US in earlier years--immigrants the US accepted when they needed cheap laborers to build their transcontinental railroad.

Japanese immigrants had it a little easier, until 1941. On December 7, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, and the United States declared war against Japan and Germany, entering WWII. For the "safety" of her Japanese citizens, America rounds them up and sends them to consentration camps, not entirely unlike the process that was happening in Germany under the Nazi party. While those of Japanese decent were not harmed (the government made no distinction between those who were American born or Japanese born), the fact is that the Japanese were rounded up, stripped of their rights, and made to live in communities where they could be watched by the US government. It took nearly 50 years for the United States to issue an apology to those Americans she disrupted, and to begin issuing retribution checks to surviving family members.

More groups than just those five have been discriminated and oppressed in the United States, and there are many more groups worldwide who are oppressed in the country that they call home.

Last updated on November 16, 2008

Useful {8} • Funny {1} • Awesome • Beautiful • Interesting {5}
Related Hubs
Are Men Oppressed? Are Men Oppressed?
The Inaccessible American Dream: Troubles of the 1860s to 1940s The Inaccessible American Dream: Troubles of the 1860s to 1940s
Inequality in America throughout the Ages Inequality in America throughout the Ages
Racism, Prejudice and Oppression in the Information Technology and Social Media Marketing Racism, Prejudice and Oppression in the Information Technology and Social Media...
Identity Crisis, Guilt and Power: Interracial Relationships in Alice Walker’s Meridian Identity Crisis, Guilt and Power: Interracial Relationships in Alice Walker’s...
The Real History of American Racism and Racism Today The Real History of American Racism and Racism Today
African American Historical Personalities: Gallant Warriors for Freedom and Equality African American Historical Personalities: Gallant Warriors for Freedom and...
Civilization's Malcontents: Contemporary Civilization of America: The Challenge To Democracy By Technopoly & Technique Civilization's Malcontents: Contemporary Civilization of America: The Challenge...
Follow (3)Comments 46 comments

Go to last comment
Nordy profile image
Nordy 5 years ago from Canada

well done, a fascinating read!

Trublu profile image
Trublu 5 years ago from USA Hub Author

Thanks so much, Nordy!

It's fascinating to consider that America is one of the most accepting and free countries in the world, but yet one of the most prejudiced and oppressive at the same time.

KDorfman profile image
KDorfman 5 years ago from Pacific Northwest

Yes, there is a group of White, Straight, Chsitian, Hetero males that have been oppressed, and weren't able to secure the freedom of their nation until the post WW2 era, after enduring 700 years of brutal occupation and conquest, and it wasn't until recently that their country was even relatively free of severe turmoil. You've never heard of the Irish?

starbourne profile image
starbourne 5 years ago from NYC

Excellent read and well written. Sucks that people are still focused on race, gender, etc. when there is so much more that we could get accomplished if we got along and worked together

Trublu profile image

You are right, KDorfman, but what I was really referring to was the fact that nobody has targeted that group on the basis of being white, male, heterosexual Christians; the Irish were oppressed for being Irish. The Americans were oppressed by the British crown too, remember.

royalblkrose profile image
royalblkrose 5 years ago from florida

that's a very interesting read

KDorfman profile image

Fair enough. But remember, many people that are still white, male, hetero Christians have been still discriminated against on the virtue of their being POOR, and it still goes on. Discrimination doesn't just take the guise of race, or (what seems to be popular construct of race) skin tone. Discrimination on an economic basis is far more prevalent.

Trublu profile image

You're still right, KDorfman, however I believe my first response to your original comment still stands true.

KDorfman profile image

You are absolutely right, don't let me take away from that. You still make a great point, and a good hub. Cheers!

tonymac04 profile image
tonymac04 5 years ago from South Africa

Good answer. Thanks

The comments are all interesting also. I think KDorfman made some very good points especially

Love and peace

Tony

Trublu profile image

Indeed he did, Tony. Thank you for the comment!

Anonymous 4 years ago

Once again, people ignore the Jews.

auntzue 4 years ago

Trublu, you failed to answer your own question. Your headline asks who are the "most oppressed group of human beings in the history of humanity". Ignoring that question, you proceed to grind your political axe within the confines of North American history, and then, only to the groups that happen to appeal to you.

BTW, your writing is filled with opinion and few facts. For example, you cite Rome as the first example of accepted gay behavior. Uh, what about ancient Greece?

Contrary to the accolades from other readers, I think this is a poorly-written (high-school level) summary which is off-topic.

Trublu 4 years ago

Apparently, auntzue, you failed to read my response thoroughly. In one of the very first paragraphs:

"(Also, I don't mean to imply that only Americans have ever been oppressed, just for the point of this article.)"

I stated, from the very beginning, that I was only going to address American history. I kept the title of the original prompt, but tailored the answer to what I have knowledge of and could talk about intelligently. If the title is all you can get out of this article, then I think you are missing the point. These groups don't "appeal" to me, they are actually some of the most oppressed groups in American history. Or would you pick others?

I'm also not sure what your definitions of "fact" and "opinions" are... but most of what I am giving as examples are in fact, facts, not opinions. They are examples that can be found in source materials. Opinions would imply that I am making some sort of judgement. Inherently, this article in its entirety is an opinion, but it is an opinion piece backed up by facts. If it's really necessary, I could go through and point out each and every fact I used. I hope you'll take a second read and find them for yourself.

I didn't say Rome was the first example, I just said it WAS an example; and I mentioned the Romans specifically so that I could talk about the point where homosexuality began to be regarded as unacceptable, in Rome, which was the arrival of Christianity and Christian doctrine. I could have mentioned Greece, but it would have helped my particular argument very little.

Despite your negative comment, you failed to actually refute any of my arguments.

Richard VanIngram profile image
Richard VanIngram 4 years ago from San Antonio, Texas

Individuals. Genuinely independent, authentic, thinking, creative people. This has been the most oppressed category of human since humans began to oppress one another.

marinealways24 profile image
marinealways24 4 years ago

I completely agree with Richard. I was just about to write that. By far the most oppressed.

johnjones profile image
johnjones 4 years ago from USA

That is the parody of America. While other people outside our country look up to us as defenders of freedom, some of US Americans are really oppressors of fellow Americans.

Wendy Montero 4 years ago

But what about the Irish, the German, the Jews the Mexicans and any and every Latin American immigrant in general?

Trublu profile image
Trublu 4 years ago from USA Hub Author

Richard: I hadn't thought of that, and I agree entirely. In any society, really, the one who thinks outside the box is the one who is ostracized... until people realize their idea is a good one, and then they are glorified for it. Normally, after the time has passed when they are actually around to get recognition.

johnjones: Quite true. While I'm mighty glad to live in America, this country most definitely is not perfect. But, so long as we continue to strive for a "more" perfect union, I think we'll do alright. However, it would do Americans well to know their own history and recognize that our oppression of each other has a long and continuous history.

Wendy: One could probably take every category that one could name, and at one point they were probably oppressed. I agree that these groups were/are in the category at some point, but they just didn't make my top 5 list. However, as I said in my "disclaimer", I'm making no claims as to levels of oppression here, just the 5 that I could explain very well, and that I think many others would have on their top list. If we were to put together a list of everybody, ever, who was oppressed, we'd be here continually adding people to the list forever.

JanTutor profile image
JanTutor 4 years ago from London, England

Trublu your hub is both brave, thought-provoking and well put together.

Aside from your piece, the thing that impresses me about this hub is the fact that the commentators have each intelligently marshalled their points with respect for their individual position and also for you. In particular I refer to KDorfman, Richard and Starbourne.

Now we just need to get the rest of the world respecting each other and accepting difference ...

Nothiean 4 years ago

Atheists are the least trusted minority of society...

N/A 4 years ago

What about Jews?

-- 4 years ago

There has been a lot of persecution of Christians in the past. Nero, for example, created a number of different ways for Christians to die in front of him for his entertainment and sport.

I don't think that there is a group in history that hasn't been oppressed somewhere, somehow, on the basis of any number of things. People always want to create hierarchy, unfortunately, and the hierarchy will manifest itself in any way possible.

susanlang profile image
susanlang 4 years ago

Good and interesting read, well done!

brie 4 years ago

good job

dave b 3 years ago

read your history. my people, german lutherans, were savagely suppressed by catholicism (hence the Reformation)until Martin Luther came along. What about Nazi Germany? Many German Christians who refused to go along with the Nazi party were slaughtered....i met their relatives. Yes, the Blacks were the most repressed, surely, especially in the last 200 years. But before that, during the Roman Empire, Christian whites were slaughtered in great numbers. Unless of course, our history books have been that corrupted and mistaken

Woll Smoth 3 years ago

No mention of Jewish people in a article about historical oppression. Nice.

Luis 3 years ago

Umm she said The HISTORY of oppression in the United States of American.

Dame 3 years ago

Thank you for the article, I enjoyed it. And thank you Jantutor for pointing out the discussion participants and how they've added to this wonderful piece in a respectful, well thought out manner. It is nice to come to a place that isn't infested with negativity.

Pete 3 years ago

I'm sorry but you put homosexuals and women over Native Americans? No group in America has been treated more reprehensibly than the Native Americans. You are clearly a product of your time to rank your subjects as you do.

Kaylin 2 years ago

I agree with Pete but also empathize with your mistake. The united states did not leave enough healthy (let alone alive)Native Americans to make a "loud" enough stand in the modern genocide category like the Jews have. But I do not think this is a mistake. An ideal "defender of freedom" does not kill everyone in the house he wishes to live in... Truly an embarrassing skeleton in the closet of the american patriot.

Also i would even argue that the "straight, white, Christian, mentally fit male" has oppressed himself simply by being the one who has not been in a 'spotlight' oppression. I would make this point on the basis that an increasing majority of other countries they (for lack of a better word) hate Americans. Who stereotypically fit the subject at hand to a T. And because Mother Nature and Father Time do a wonderful and consitent job at implementing a kind of balance.

And I believe Auntzue pointed out something obvious. Had you souly used fact I wouldn't have had to argue that Natives were treated more ruthlessly sevenfold then the blacks simply because there race is still a common sight in plenty of countries. And secondly, Women? I suppose it may be a mistake to a generation as a whole, not just you. I mean sure; should they not be aloud to vote? Some would argue that due to Aunt flow's constant visits no, but I believe technically yes voting is OK. But as for running for president? back in 1912? probably not? would we have to stick a clause in the oath saying I swear to abstinence? Because being a mother is a huge responsibility. At times it can be very time consuming, even life threatening for the mother. So it may be a mistake to not oppress on those grounds.

Anyways. I want to thank you for the paper. It was food for thought while I drank my Coffee. Thankyou

desklight5 2 years ago

You forgot the Germans --or the many German speaking peoples---

why is that?

WesternHistory profile image
WesternHistory 2 years ago from California

Very good information. I think that Native Americans are probably near the top of the list. Lots of examples on this blog westerntrips.blogspot.com

james 2 years ago

There is also the fact that the first Irish didn't speak the language and were discriminated upon that as well.

Mick 2 years ago

Ukrainians and Poles. Between Stalin and Hitler, it's the greatest amount of killing of a particular peoples ever, ever.

Ace Wipe profile image
Ace Wipe 2 years ago

For those who are saying that blacks are the most oppressed and discriminated against group are insane in my opinion. They have been given every advantage possible in the last half century through affirmative action, free college tuition, and countless entitlement programs. Many standardized tests for various employment opportunities have been "dumbed down" so that African Americans have a better chance of making the cut. To call them oppressed at this point is terribly misguided.

I know that these facts are not always readily available on the net and in the media but I have found one place that has been the beacon of truth. If you care to check it out you can visit at: http://tinyurl.com/c95t53

Shadow Warrior 2 years ago

I appreciate the recognition, by many of you,identifying the plight of the Native Americans/Indigenous peoples.

Still today, the most economically depressed, underpriviledged citizens of these United States are the Plains Nations, in particular the Lakota/Dakota Sioux.

Generally, it wasn't until 1924 that 'Indians' were given citizenship in a land that European invaders took from them. Another 20 years would go by before the first tribes were allowed to participate in the most precious of Americans rights, the right to vote.

However, worse than all of that, was the theft of the Warrior Spirit. The Euro Invader raped the Earth Mother,

and the Great Spirit seemed powerless to stop their evil. Unfortunately all the peoples from all the nations realized too late the evil, and the Euro Invaders took the Land, Poisoned the Earth Mother, and stole the Warrrior Spirit from our braves, leaving empty shells of men to roam on useless land.

Fortunately some Nations, such as the Seminoles, have used the tools and greed of the whites to make thriving communities. We have a legacy of never having been beaten by the incarnation of the Christians Satan, Andrew Jackson. Other nations are trying to accomplish self-sufficiency following the template of the Seminole and Miccosukee.

But is is a long road, longer than any other ethnic or special interest group.

Ralph 2 years ago

Why didn't you ask how men were treated?

http://smellslikescience.com/the-psychology-of-kil...

Dinomcc 2 years ago

Actually the Irish were oppressed for their Religion too, the penal laws.

Atm 2 years ago

Jews? internment camps were not as bad as concentration camps

Dan 2 years ago

This is so stupid. It's from an Amerocentric perspective entirely. It ignores all who suffered under Western European colonialism, those who have suffered racism in other countries (eg-Kurds, Balochis)....

Anyway the true answer here is that no single group has been the most oppressed. Different groups have had different styles of oppression.

Dan 2 years ago

No offense btw. Just should not have been "in the history of humanity" if it focused on the USA.

Michael 23 months ago

Jews anyone?

FeWolf 18 months ago

Actually Jews, check history, and it is still going on today!

MetaBarbar23 6 months ago

The Jews got it the worst during the Holocaust, but nowadays I don't think they're much oppressed anymore, with Israel being a powerful developed with many powerful allies and an extremely powerful lobby, at least in the USA. Plus, many of the greatest minds of human history have been Jewish, and intellectually they flourished during the modern era in the West (including Israel's achievements in science now) and earlier during the golden ages of the Islamic Empire. Throughout history, Kurds and Armenians (who themselves had a holocaust) have gotten it pretty bad, and nowadays the Palestinians and Tibetans are pretty oppressed.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Re: Oppressed group of human beings in the history of humani

Unread post by Silencioso » August 1st, 2014, 2:44 pm

White Christians were oppressed in Spain by the Moors, in Russia by the Tartars, in the Balkans by the Turks.
White Christians were enslaved by the Barbary pirates. White protestants were oppressed/tortured/killed by the Catholic church.
Mormons were persecuted and even killed by other Christians.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » August 4th, 2014, 12:25 pm

3. Women. Regardless of race or socioeconomic standing, women were denied sufferage as a group until the 19th amendment in 1920. The fight for women's sufferage had started much earlier with first wave feminism, beginning with movements such as the Seneca Falls convention and the Declaration of the Rights of Women. After women were given the vote, however, they still were not equal to women. They began to flock to the workplace in the 1910s and 1920s due to WWI and the Roaring 20s. But once there was no longer a need for women in men's jobs, they were pushed back into the home. When the 1940s rolled around and American men were called to war, the women were called into the factories and the military desk jobs. But when the men returned home again, they were sent back to the homes. And so it went until the 1970s and 1980s, when women finally started to go to the workplace without the push of a world war. Still, however, women are rarely in high level positions. Again in the 2008 presidential election, the first woman, Sarah Palin
I think this is BS.

Women were "pushed" back into the home after the war? As if being able to stay home is somehow a horrible thing. Sounds like fake feminism propaganda .

The truth is that at one time, one working man without a high school diploma was able to support an entire family, maybe 4 to 8 children or more, plus his stay at home wife, with a house and a car. Now, due to inflation and the cost of living caused by the welfare warfare state, women are PUSHED into the workforce just to keep up with the cost of living. You see how the narrative they use changes peoples perception of what is really happening?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » August 4th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Alot of women dont want to stay at home.
Women were pushed into the workforce during the war years.
They were needed in the factories to produce ammunition and all that, because men werent available.

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » August 4th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Sentenza wrote:Alot of women dont want to stay at home.
They were needed in the factories to produce ammunition and all that, because men werent available.

Well yeah, they were pushed into the workforce because of the war.

Sure there's plenty of women who are career orientated with skills and/ an education that love to work. However there's huge share of the working female population that absolutely hate their jobs and would live to stay home with their family. Not that staying home is paradise either. That's another feminist narrative, the idea that staying home with your children is somehow a bad thing or something lesser than. When in reality it plays a critical role in society for mothers to spend more time with their children...

See there's a huge difference between women who are career orientated and women who just work a miserable job just to keep up with the cost of living.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » August 5th, 2014, 7:56 am

RuthlessCray wrote:
Sentenza wrote:Alot of women dont want to stay at home.

Well yeah, they were pushed into the workforce because of the war.

Sure there's plenty of women who are career orientated with skills and/ an education that love to work. However there's huge share of the working female population that absolutely hate their jobs and would live to stay home with their family. Not that staying home is paradise either. That's another feminist narrative, the idea that staying home with your children is somehow a bad thing or something lesser than. When in reality it plays a critical role in society for mothers to spend more time with their children...

See there's a huge difference between women who are career orientated and women who just work a miserable job just to keep up with the cost of living.
I agree with that (the difference between career oriented and having to keep up with the costs of living).
I can only talk about Germany and my environment, but nowadays i dont know a single woman my age bracket and younger that would like to stay at home and not work, those times are over.
In my family my grandma was the last one to do so and she had no choice...