Simon City Royals in Milwaukee

The Midwest for the pupose of this forum will be defined as the following States; Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Simon City Royals in Milwaukee

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 11th, 2005, 8:00 pm

Main Page News Business & Your Money Packer Plus Online Badger Plus Online Sports Entertainment Homes Online Dining & Destinations Health & Fitness Wheels Food for Thought Weather Traffic Outdoors AP - The WIRE City Pages Plus Classifieds Automotive General Employment Real Estate Renting Choices Personals Subscribe to paper Send a Postcard Service Desk Contact Us

Slaying serves as death knell for drug-dealing gang

By David Doege
of the Journal Sentinel staff When a crew of city surveyors found the body of a man at the base of a hill in the 300 block of E. Reservoir St. on the morning of Dec. 11, 1996, time started running out on the local chapter of the Simon City Royals.

May 26, 1998

The execution of Anthony J. Socha, a wayward member of the drug-dealing, gun-peddling gang, was supposed to firm up the group's cohesion.

It instead has served to dismantle the gang, starting from the top.

In a virtually empty courtroom last week, Shaun P. Lynch was sentenced to life in prison with no parole for fatally shooting Socha, a father of three who managed to become a veteran felon even though he was just 25 when he died.

According to police and prosecutors, Lynch, second in command of the local Simon City Royals, shot Socha at the behest of Curtis Allen Steldt Jr., 28, the so-called "governor" of the local chapter.

Two months before Lynch's sentencing, Steldt -- who was a member of the gang "all of his adult life," according to court records -- began his own life-without-parole term for ordering Socha's execution.

In handing down Lynch's sentence, Circuit Judge Timothy Dugan noted that it was more than the murder of one of their own that made the Simon City Royals a danger in Milwaukee.

"This gang was partly a hate gang," Dugan said. "It was also involved in the sale of guns and drugs, which have done so much damage to our community."

By Steldt's own admission during his February trial, he alone had been involved in 200 to 300 drug deals during a one-year period.

The gang's members also were free to commit burglaries, robberies or other crimes -- with prior approval from the gang. One gang member has been imprisoned for a second homicide and another gang member is awaiting trial for a third killing.

Assistant District Attorney David Robles, who prosecuted Lynch, Steldt and several other Simon City Royals, described the gang as "predominantly white with white supremacist overtones." According to Circuit Court records, the Milwaukee group of Royals is a subchapter of a Chicago chapter.

Steldt, who had been to prison twice before receiving the life term, brought the gang's beliefs and bylaws to Milwaukee where he recruited young troublemakers like Lynch, a high school dropout who had been found delinquent as a juvenile for crimes three times.

The gang's bylaws permit members to smoke marijuana and use LSD -- with approval by a superior -- but prohibit the use of cocaine. Also prohibited are homosexuality and rape.

Scott J. Stevenson, a 22-year-old west side man who became a key witness in the cases against Steldt and Lynch, told authorities that he was "sponsored" for membership into the gang in fall 1996 by another member and was required to pay monthly dues of $20. The gang made its money by selling drugs and guns.

According to court records, members were fronted various amounts of cocaine or marijuana a couple times each week. They were supposed to sell the drugs, then turn the proceeds over to Steldt. Most of the proceeds were used to buy more drugs; a lesser amount was put into a central fund.

Socha, who had met Steldt in prison, had been breaking two of the gang's bylaws before he was executed: he was smoking cocaine and holding back drug sale proceeds. It took authorities five months to piece together how Socha ended up at the bottom of the hill on Reservoir St. with a bullet hole in his head. It took nearly a year and a half to convict Steldt of setting it up, and Lynch of carrying it out.

On the night Socha was killed, Steldt had warned other gang members that Socha was going to be punished for violations. After Socha arrived at a gang member's home, Steldt, Lynch and three other gang members took turns beating and kicking him.

"We're taking him to Boot Hill," Steldt announced as Socha lay dazed on the floor, Stevenson, who did not join in the beating, later told authorities and a jury.

Socha was subsequently dragged out to Steldt's car. Lynch, Stevenson, another gang member named David Follette and Steldt then rode to Reservoir St. with Socha.

"If anyone else wants to shoot, they can, or I will," Steldt said, according to Stevenson.

After Lynch volunteered, Socha tried to flee but was beaten some more, then thrown to the base of the hill. On Steldt's order, he was shot in the head, according to Stevenson.

"Don't say anything, or else," Steldt later warned Stevenson.

Stevenson eventually did talk to police. By June, authorities had enough information to charge Steldt and Lynch in the killing.

Lynch eventually pleaded guilty to charges of substantial battery, false imprisonment and first-degree intentional homicide and agreed to testify against Steldt, who faced the same charges.

When he was on the witness stand during Steldt's February trial, however, Lynch unexpectedly denied being the shooter. Steldt spent the better part of a day on the witness stand denying that he ordered the execution, but admitting being a leader of the gang.

Over the objections of defense attorney Steven R. Kohn, Robles grilled Steldt at length about the operation of the gang, its drug dealings and gun sales.

After more than six hours of deliberations, the jury found Steldt guilty of all three counts. In March, Dugan gave Steldt the life-without-parole sentence.

Even though he assisted authorities, Stevenson was prosecuted for being a party to the beating that preceded the murder. He received three years of probation.

For his role in the beating, Follette, 19, was sentenced to 38 months in prison.

Owen Kreinus, 19, another participant, was not prosecuted for his role. But he was prosecuted, convicted and sentenced to 40 years in prison in February for fatally stabbing another man after a traffic altercation.

Robles said that at least one other gang member will be prosecuted for participating in the Socha beating.

Meanwhile, another alleged gang member, Larry T. Ellis, 17, is awaiting trial on a charge of first-degree reckless homicide for the August 1995 fatal drive-by shooting of Larry Burnette Jr., 18, in the 2300 block of S. 16th St.

Before he was sentenced last week, Lynch asked to withdraw his guilty pleas, but Dugan rejected the request and noted that he believed the maneuver -- along with Lynch's unexpected denial on the witness stand during Steldt's trial -- was part of a ploy to disrupt the case.

"I don't believe there is an opportunity to rehabilitate you even at the young age of 19," Dugan told Lynch. "That's a sad comment to make."

After the sentencing, Robles declined to pronounce the gang dead.

"But I will say that I believe the prosecution of this offense as a gang crime will have a substantial effect on that organization," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Journal Sentinel Online Inside News

Main Page News Business & Your Money Packer Plus Online Badger Plus Online Sports Entertainment Homes Online Dining & Destinations Health & Fitness Wheels Food for Thought Weather Traffic Outdoors AP - The WIRE AP - Spanish AP - Archive City Pages Plus Classifieds Automotive General Employment Real Estate Renting Choices Personals Subscribe to paper Send a Postcard Service Desk Contact Us

Sunday Features Wisconsin Milwaukee Waukesha Ozaukee & Washington Obituaries AP U.S. News AP World News AP U.S. Regional AP Midwest AP Northeast AP Southeast AP West AP Health & Science AP Offbeat Archive

© Copyright 1999, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. All rights reserved.

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Simon City Royals in Milwaukee

Unread post by 1111§ » February 13th, 2005, 10:22 am

Are they an all-white gang in Millwaukee ??

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 13th, 2005, 11:09 am

yep,the SCRs are white

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 13th, 2005, 11:17 am

in milwaukee,for the most part every Nation is made up of the race it was intended for.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » February 21st, 2005, 5:41 pm

SOME MANIACS TURNED ROYALS TOO DON'T KNOE IF THEY WERE OF HISPANIC ORIGIN THOUGH

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » February 21st, 2005, 5:44 pm

BUT ALSO ASCR WERE UNKNOWN AND NOT A BIG FACTOR NEWAY

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 22nd, 2005, 7:51 am

had to be some white boys,aint no latino MLD going to turn SCR....MLDs are way deeper than Royals.SCRs werent unknown,older niggas know who they are.They are in the joints.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 100 » March 7th, 2005, 2:33 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:had to be some white boys,aint no latino MLD going to turn SCR....MLDs are way deeper than Royals.SCRs werent unknown,older niggas know who they are.They are in the joints.

YOU NEVA KNOW AFTER ALL HISPANIC AINT RACIAL.

THE MAIN GANGS ON THE S SOUTH ALWAYS HIT UP ON THE WALL WITH A K BEHIND IT IT REMINDED ME OF MY COUSIN UNCLE ED DOGG HE A BLACK LK HE WAS TELLING HIM HOW THEM COBRAS WAS POPING AT HIM ON 16TH AND NATIONAL AND HE WAS BUSSING BACK I DID NOT BELIEVE HIM EITHER. AFTER ALL MY LIL NI99A BE GETTING INTO WITH ESES ALMOST EVERY RIP.

HE SAW THE TATOO/SYBOLS ON DUDE NECK AND OF COURSE HE GONNA KNOW HIS UNCLE A KING WHEN HE TLOD HIS UNCLE THAT HE WAS MAD CAUSE KINGS RAN COBRAS OUTTA MILWAUKEE OR INTO THE UNDERGROUND.

BUT THEY BE ON SOME FLIPSY stuff TOO A BLOCK SOUTH OF HAYES ON 13TH ST A WALL IS HIT UP WITH SOME S COBRA GRAFF WITH THE FORKS DOWN THAT WAS NOT THE FIRST TIME I SEEN THAT I SEEN SOME GRAFF LIKE THAT IN 96' WHEN THEY WERE AT WAR WITH THE 21ST GANGSTERS(2-1)

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 7th, 2005, 3:49 pm

LKs never ran the Cobras out of the mil.At one point LKs were the deepest mob on the southside but honestly nowadays when Im out south i see more hats to the right,weather its latinos,blacks and even white boys.SCs been in the Mil since the 70s they aint going nowhere.

since the pitchforks arent a Spanish Cobra symbol,I wouldnt be surprised if they dropped em.Prob cause of the MLDs or 2-1s.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » March 7th, 2005, 3:50 pm

last summer the Cobras were deep....i think they are starting to get almost as deep as the LKs

Casper
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Casper » April 9th, 2005, 7:30 am

SCR's
mailny becoming Latino
they got many Latin members

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » April 9th, 2005, 8:55 pm

SCRs are still mostly white homie

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » April 9th, 2005, 9:40 pm

thats a great article blackman.

Sill
If in the United States: West Virginia
What city do you live in now?: SSm

Unread post by Sill » February 7th, 2010, 1:49 am

I ran with this crew back in the 90's. I was in the house of corrections when this all went down but I remember these bro's like it was yesterday. Shaun was a cool cat. Real laid back motherfucker, we used to hang out all the fucking time. He has a younger brother who ran with the clique, although I can not for the life of me remember his name. In fact I was locked up with his brother when the news hit. A cool ass native named Cruz used to tattoo the shit out of us. Naomi was Shaun's girl's name...IIRC there was a dude quickie that was involved also. Maybe he was the snitch cause I think he was young.
Brings back some memories.

Sill
If in the United States: West Virginia
What city do you live in now?: SSm

Unread post by Sill » February 7th, 2010, 2:30 am

BTW...We ran 5th and Maple next door to Red's tap. South Side

MILNATIVE
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Milwaukee

Unread post by MILNATIVE » September 8th, 2011, 7:28 am

SCR never ran anything I seen they stayed in the suburbs and didn't bang in the hood....

Miltown
If in the United States: Wisconsin
What city do you live in now?: Ames Ia

Unread post by Miltown » October 7th, 2017, 6:43 pm

MILNATIVE wrote:SCR never ran anything I seen they stayed in the suburbs and didn't bang in the hood....

Pretty much. They was way down by Cudahy n shit. 27th & Grange n shit. Bangin in front of Colder's Furniture :lol: