what L.A. hoods had the best gang grafitti in the 80's

From tagging to piecing to gang graffiti to clothing styles to the art of tattoos.
ghosty
What city do you live in now?: Humboldt via N.E.L.A.

what L.A. hoods had the best gang grafitti in the 80's

Unread post by ghosty » March 14th, 2009, 4:03 pm

...a good time for gang graffiti, as some traditional style merged with the newer tagging/party crews style that were going gangster...all hoods seem to have some good writers but a few just were very consistent ....here's my short list ....#1: SATANAS w/s ( sick banger script and a lot of it around that one 7-11) ...#2 : AZTLAN 13 ws ( there on sunset...they had that car wash that literally said 'azt car wash loks' in huge letters...good all around) ...#3 : SACRED REICH ( lots of sick script around melrose not unlike satanas ) #4 DIAMOND STREET ( seemed like they had lots of spray painted murals of homies on their garages...I like that...plus their script was tight.....) ...and finally #5 AVES 43 ( they got the best mascot with fedora skull plus lots of sick huge fast appearing hit ups in the traditional style ....also I think rockwood, drifters, crazy riders, trs etc. were innovating alot of banger script.....what do you think old timers? ....

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Re: what L.A. hoods had the best gang grafitti in the 80's

Unread post by Silencioso » March 16th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Sacred Reich, Geer Gang, Diamond, Avenues, Satanas, Jefrox.

alldayanyday
What city do you live in now?: SAN DIEGO

Unread post by alldayanyday » March 16th, 2009, 2:27 pm

ese hoods get it in

ghosty

Unread post by ghosty » March 16th, 2009, 6:42 pm

CYS (crazys) had a lot of quality graffiti too around silver lake ....

Triggeration
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Sin City

Unread post by Triggeration » March 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Alot of black compton sets like spooktown.

ghosty

Unread post by ghosty » March 20th, 2009, 9:23 pm

...amazingly there arent too many banger graffiti pics from that era on the interntet... the cops prob took a lot of polaroid pics of some sic script back in the day! ...Im surprised there werent more artist photographer types documenting this shit... where are the pics from the 80's!

MALO

Unread post by MALO » May 20th, 2009, 12:24 am

ghosty wrote:...amazingly there arent too many banger graffiti pics from that era on the interntet... the cops prob took a lot of polaroid pics of some sic script back in the day! ...Im surprised there werent more artist photographer types documenting this shit... where are the pics from the 80's!
BigTime magazine did an issue on this subject!

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: San Gabriel

Unread post by AztecNinja » May 20th, 2009, 6:20 pm

I gotta go with Rockwood, back in the 80's they were the 1st Varrio I saw that went away from the boxie writing style and just flowed.
top 10 a
1. RSL
2. Aves -Ce-
3. Jefrox13
4. CYS
5. Aves 43
6. Hoover Locos (18st)
7. Temple St
8. FrogTown
9. Carnales13
10. 38st

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by xxx » May 24th, 2009, 10:09 am

Silencioso wrote:Sacred Reich, Geer Gang, Diamond, Avenues, Satanas, Jefrox.
Geer Gang, really?

I never heard anybody gives them props about Strike Ups or anything else.

Eighteens & Harpeys are the ones that are stuck in my Head.

The Block Busters & Old English Style top to bottoms they used to do.

They Killed the Jefferson/La Brea Area, King & Vermont Area for years, throughout the 80's.

FelonOne
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: USA

Unread post by FelonOne » May 26th, 2009, 2:10 am

filipino santanas had big hit ups...

yardstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Dago

Unread post by yardstick » June 23rd, 2009, 12:33 am

In San Diego:

Otay 13
Varrio Logan
Barrio Sherman
East San Diego 13
Varrio Market Street
Varrio Shelltown
Old Town National City

all these varrios had the cleanest block hitups or Old English murals back in the day! I have to say Otay 13 and Barrio Sherman were at the top though.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » June 23rd, 2009, 10:49 am

How about RBS?

MENACE18
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LOS ANGELES

Unread post by MENACE18 » June 25th, 2009, 2:00 am

MMRbkaRudog wrote:How about RBS?
\

REBELS HAD A FEW NICE TAGGINS,PRETTY MUCH IN MY HOOD WESTSIDE 18ST SHATTO PARK LOCOS WHERE ITS US,REBELS,PLAYBOYS,ORPHANS,ROCKWOOD ST,MS,CRAZY RIDERS,EASY RIDERS,NO 1 TAGS ANYMORE CUZ THEY GET BLASTED BY US

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by triplethreat » June 25th, 2009, 6:10 am

I agree with all of you mentioning STS. They had nice hit ups on good spots. Some heads from the older Filipino gangs knew how to write pretty good.

ghosty

Unread post by ghosty » June 26th, 2009, 7:19 am

....SATANAS is coming in with a lot of votes! ....just going by peeps memory, looks like they made quite an impression! ....am I trippin' or does anyone else remember a big WHITE FENCE mural of a big white fence in the rampart area around late 70's or 80 ..... also yeah, 18 had good stuff too...I remember the CMS (chicos malos) click of 18 had lots by king jr high off sunset....

MENACE18
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MENACE18 » June 26th, 2009, 9:42 am

ghosty wrote:....SATANAS is coming in with a lot of votes! ....just going by peeps memory, looks like they made quite an impression! ....am I trippin' or does anyone else remember a big WHITE FENCE mural of a big white fence in the rampart area around late 70's or 80 ..... also yeah, 18 had good stuff too...I remember the CMS (chicos malos) click of 18 had lots by king jr high off sunset....
U MEAN TINY MALDITOS,the CMS CLICK IS SS18ST CRAZY MEXICANS,MOSTLY IN LONG BEACH

ghosty

Unread post by ghosty » June 26th, 2009, 11:02 am

....Im pretty sure I remember CMS hit ups right there around 82ish? ...reason being, that I was about 13 and didnt speak spanish and went out of my way to figure out the meaning... ... cms=chicos malos ....I always liked that name ... haha but Im just an old stoner and it has been 30 years so I could be trippin

ghosty

Unread post by ghosty » June 26th, 2009, 11:04 am

...menace18, after re -reading your post ....it was probably a whole different click ..... same letters, different words?

MENACE18
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MENACE18 » June 26th, 2009, 3:30 pm

ghosty wrote:...menace18, after re -reading your post ....it was probably a whole different click ..... same letters, different words?
THE TINY MALDITOS CLICK SOMETIMES GO BY CMS FOR CHICO MALOS SINCE THEY MEAN the SAME SHIT BUT THEY DNT HIT IT UP,ONLY IN RAPS THEY GO BY CHICO MALOS SOMETIMES

bksolo
What city do you live in now?: hthc

Unread post by bksolo » June 27th, 2009, 11:47 pm

the ten foe hard time hustlas

fake187hps187
What city do you live in now?: los angeles

Unread post by fake187hps187 » August 12th, 2013, 5:08 pm

[quote="ghosty"]...a good time for gang graffiti, as some traditional style merged with the newer tagging/party crews style that were going gangster...all hoods seem to have some good writers but a few just were very consistent ....here's my short list ....#1: SATANAS w/s ( sick banger script and a lot of it around that one 7-11) ...#2 : AZTLAN 13 ws ( there on sunset...they had that car wash that literally said 'azt car wash loks' in huge letters...good all around) ...#3 : SACRED REICH ( lots of sick script around melrose not unlike satanas ) #4 DIAMOND STREET ( seemed like they had lots of spray painted murals of homies on their garages...I like that...plus their script was tight.....) ...and finally #5 AVES 43 ( they got the best mascot with fedora skull plus lots of sick huge fast appearing hit ups in the traditional style ....also I think rockwood, drifters, crazy riders, trs etc. were innovating alot of banger script.....what do you think old timers? ....[/quote][size=200][/size]C:\Users\joebones\Pictures\1001469_325873830879289_1563246g563_n.jp COPY AND PASTE

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » August 13th, 2013, 6:46 am

in compton 90's were it was the grafiti era nowaday u dont find 10% of what was hit up in the 89 90 91 92 era i can say tf got the biggest murals ever on rosecranz old fire station they use to hit up big letter in old english there and in the old flats just in front of the station they had big ass old english murals also cv70 during this era had an old school mural with santa maria and the rip list of the first cv70's member to drop even well we can say cv's have more artistik skills when it comes to murals even cvs even cg tg hit up big and hard now in l.a them 38 streetaz had gigantic murals all along blu line when u took the train to down town u would c it also pf on 23rd have hard core murals and always had very traditional firme hit ups but nooobody and i mean it nooobody can beat down 18 street in the 90's they was everywere specially in southcentral in around 81st area they have spectacular murals big ass hit ups also them fedora ws playboys 13 had an artist painting for them some gigantic murals ...legendary shit ..on the blacc side the hood i saw hit up the most is grape street

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » August 13th, 2013, 6:50 am

in compton 90's were it was the grafiti era nowaday u dont find 10% of what was hit up in the 89 90 91 92 era i can say tf got the biggest murals ever on rosecranz old fire station they use to hit up big letter in old english there and in the old flats just in front of the station they had big ass old english murals also cv70 during this era had an old school mural with santa maria and the rip list of the first cv70's member to drop even well we can say cv's have more artistik skills when it comes to murals even cvs even cg tg hit up big and hard now in l.a them 38 streetaz had gigantic murals all along blu line when u took the train to down town u would c it also pf on 23rd have hard core murals and always had very traditional firme hit ups but nooobody and i mean it nooobody can beat down 18 street in the 90's they was everywere specially in southcentral in around 81st area they have spectacular murals big ass hit ups also them fedora ws playboys 13 had an artist painting for them some gigantic murals ...legendary shit ..on the blacc side the hood i saw hit up the most is grape street

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » December 31st, 2018, 3:10 pm

Florencia 13
Avenues
Playboy's 13
WS Primera Flats
Mid City Stoners