Grieving Mothers

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Grieving Mothers

Unread post by 'X' » November 25th, 2005, 4:15 pm

Grieving mothers
None wounded more deeply by gang violence

By Beth Barrett, Staff Writer

Luz Maria Gomez joined the peace movement in North Hills in May, four months after her 17-year-old son, Luis Rodriguez, joined the list of victims of gang violence.

He was gunned down as he sat in a sport utility vehicle on Langdon Avenue near Roscoe Boulevard in January, the same tough streets that Gomez and dozens of other women who lost children to gang warfare marched along with banners and slogans that contained a single message: Stop the violence.

"There was some sadness in my heart," Gomez said, but she held out hope that things might change "if we can touch the kids' hearts so they have more love for life."

Nobody feels the pain of gang violence in Southern California more sharply than the mothers who have seen their children claimed by the long epidemic of gang violence.

And through marches, support groups and action committees, many of these grieving mothers from throughout the region are trying to turn their bitter heartache into a crusade for peace - and peace of mind.

Laura Esqueda of Sylmar is still burning with grief over the slaying three years ago of her son, Luis, by a gang member. She works in a preschool program at a Pacomia elementary school, spending much of her free time talking to other parents and urging them to "watch your children, who they go out with."

But she can't get over the loss of her son, who had graduated from Kennedy High and was working in Ventura.

"I remember telling him (at graduation), 'This is when life starts.' He had so many dreams. But it ended for him. Those words still come back to me."

In the Covina area, Lorraine Vargas had no idea she lived one block from Margaret Ramirez until their sons were killed by gang members two months apart and now are buried 10 plots apart. They helped support each other and reach out to others, especially gang members' moms, with their own stories of how gang violence destroys families and their hopes and dreams.

Lorraine Vargas cries for her murdered son, Frank Salinas, during a support group meeting for parents of murdered children. Through marches, support groups and action committees, many grieving Southland mothers are trying to turn their bitter heartache into a crusade for peace - and peace of mind

Along with hundreds of other parents across the Southland, they meet regularly in churches and other venues to share a grief so deep that only those who have walked in their shoes can appreciate the wounds that the slaying of a child inflicts on families, friends and communities.

At a recent meeting of the San Gabriel Valley chapter of the nonprofit Parents of Murdered Children Inc., parents and grandparents talked about the horror and pain, both emotional and physical, that never fully goes away after a gangster kills a young person.

Ramirez described her bond with Vargas like this:

"There are days she'll call me and say, 'I can't take it. I sit in the dark. I don't want to live.' I say, I don't want to live either, but if I have to live, then you have to live. If I have to go through it, you have to go through it."

It took five years of going to court before Maria Alvarez, 52, of Long Beach saw a resolution of the charges against the men who killed her son, Sunny Elijah Peralez, 8, in a gang drive-by shooting in East Los Angeles.

Francisco Beltran, 24, was sentenced previously to a life term in prison for the crime but the second defendant, Albert Orozco, 24, whose Ghetto Boys moniker is "Gremlin," got a deadlocked jury because some witnesses recanted their testimony and others refused to testify - a common problem in gang prosecutions because people fear retaliation.

The grin on Orozco's face when he pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter still haunts Alvarez.

"It hurts," Alvarez said, weeping outside the courtroom, with two of her daughters. "I can't see my child no more, and they're laughing. It hurts me; I cry every day. I pray God forgives them."

"This has destroyed our family," said Estrella Avina, Peralez's older sister. "It's unfair. He'll be alive and my brother is gone."

Another image also haunts Alvarez, that of her son walking down the stairs about 10 p.m. on Aug. 6, 1999, in his favorite cut-off joggers and white T-shirt to shut the door just as the gunfire erupted outside the apartment, a bullet striking his head.

"My son had a strange look in his eyes. It was like somebody saying bye to you."

Sandy Marino of Whittier said her family was torn apart when her son, Roy Brian Marino, 19, was killed in Granada Hills on March 30, 2002, by a gang member who wanted status in a Pacoima gang. Ronnie Molina, a member of Paca Trece, was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to 50 years to life.

Marino said she gets through every day wearing a "mask" to hide her pain.

"When I'm alone, I take it off and cry."

The mothers of North Hills have found another way to deal with their grief: They have become friends and provided emotional support for one another even though their children were members of warring gang factions.

Ever since their first march, on Oct. 12, 1997, they have seen themselves as missionaries for a peace.

"We felt very happy, once we saw the people gathering around us," Doris Castaneda, a North Hills community volunteer who has worked as a housekeeper and school aide with 11 children, said in recalling that day. "There were tears in many eyes, many tears."

Banding together in the community group Familias Unitas, and taking for inspiration a fathers-outreach program at Langdon Avenue elementary school, they have stood by one another, and have given each other the courage to step out from behind the anonymity of their apartment doors and speak out.

Their marches have usually brought periods of calm but eventually an incident would trigger a new wave of violence and more tears would be shed.

Luz Maria Gomez has shed a lot of tears since her son was shot Jan. 23. The suspect in the shooting is Jesus Murguia, 22, of Panorama City, who authorities say was a member of the TJ Locos - a gang warring with Langdon Street.

Gomez, her two daughters and a son and other family members, eight in all, live in a sparsely furnished two-bedroom apartment behind high security fences on Rayen Street in the heart of the San Fernando Valley's worst gang area. The living room is dominated by two shrines to her son, Luis, including his ashes, several pictures and candles.

She knows her son would be alive if she could afford to live in a safer neighborhood. But Gomez, who came to Los Angeles from a small town outside Mexico City in search of "a better future," makes about $15,000 a year cleaning homes and working in the garment industry. She pays $600 in rent and can't afford a car, let alone pay more for an apartment elsewhere.

"Because of my job, it was impossible to get out," she said. "Who wouldn't like to live in a better community in Granada Hills or Calabasas? But it was impossible to give them that life.

"It's hard for us to be mothers and fathers to our sons. Our kids escape from us."

Working with others who have lost children has helped Gomez get through her tragedy, given her the strength to look beyond her own heartache and to see how she can help others.

"I have learned to develop myself," Gomez said. "I feel the necessity to ask for help, to ask mothers to help other kids. As mothers we have an obligation not just to our kids, but to other kids of the community. I hope not to stop but to keep going for the love of other kids."

Comatose
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Comatose » December 6th, 2005, 1:14 am

Easily the most tragic result of bangin. No mother deserves for her children to be killed, no matter how it comes about.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » September 15th, 2006, 5:25 pm

Comatose
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Comatose » September 15th, 2006, 8:15 pm

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » September 16th, 2006, 8:23 am

Comatose wrote:
Easily the most tragic result of bangin. No mother deserves for her children to be killed, no matter how it comes about.

Definatly agree...

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » September 23rd, 2006, 3:58 am

So True, God Bless to all the Mothers who have lost sons and daughters to gang violence, Stay Strong.And Rest in Peace to those lost to Gang Violence:_( your always remembered.......

shaun_zach
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by shaun_zach » November 9th, 2006, 10:40 am

It's sad because mothers suffer the most from gang violence. No mother wants to bury a child before their time. How can these gangbangers look into the eyes of these mothers and not feel any type of remorse. To these mothers that are standing up against the violence keep ya heads up and your spirits high someone out there is listening.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » November 9th, 2006, 10:56 am

Good post... This needs to get recognition... "Think about moms at your funeral loc".

epun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by epun » November 9th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Good post.....

Unfortunately, the message doesn't get across due to the realtionship many of our young black males have with their mothers. In most cases, but not all, if you don't show a child love, that child won't show you love, much less anybody in the streets.

Love is attention, unconditional support and staying active in the child's life. Show me a parent who's not active in the son's life, and I'll show you ten gangbangers on they way to prison or to the morgue. With exceptions to innoccent bystanders, anytime your child's closet is dominated by one color or 50 over-sized white tees, it's time to regulate!

julialee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by julialee » November 10th, 2006, 1:23 am

Great Replies all.:-).Maybe these words posted up here will be read by someone and help:-)
Although i think there are quite a few Moms who have shown that unconditional love who still lost their kids due to Gangs, Prison, Drugs and or Death:-(.
So true alot dont think about their actions until its to late.
Regulating them, yeah thats true too.A parents gotta give it their all when it comes to their Kids, even if it means putting their foot down.Thats the # 1 thing in their lives or it should be.Always let your loved ones know how much you love them, because tomorrow isnt promised to us.
Its real tough to have your child die:-(.And loosing a son or daughter to gang violence, that right there just kills a Mothers heart:_(.Our Kids are supposed to outlive us parents.

kay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kay » November 19th, 2006, 2:44 am

That kills me, my son is 8 and the thought of anything happening to hurt him brings me to tears. My brother is 19 and I worry every single day that something bad will happen to him. If he gets arrested I sometimes honestly feel relieved.
My Mom and brother's house got shot up a while back and that was so fucking hard to deal with, to still go out, to let my son go to school.
It was and still is absolutely terrifying.
It's so hard when I know my brother hangs around with people that are dangerous, he knows it too.
It's barely any safer to stay away from gangs and drugs because people will still get the wrong house, and these guys aren't usually master marksmen either.

kay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kay » November 19th, 2006, 2:45 am

That kills me, my son is 8 and the thought of anything happening to hurt him brings me to tears. My brother is 19 and I worry every single day that something bad will happen to him. If he gets arrested I sometimes honestly feel relieved.
My Mom and brother's house got shot up a while back and that was so fucking hard to deal with, to still go out, to let my son go to school.
It's so hard when I know my brother hangs around with people that are dangerous, he knows it too.
It's barely any safer to stay away from gangs and drugs because people will still get the wrong house, and these guys aren't usually master marksmen either.

kay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kay » November 19th, 2006, 2:46 am

kay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kay » November 19th, 2006, 2:46 am

kay
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kay » November 19th, 2006, 2:47 am